Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 Manual 2009
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked this up around a year ago, Pretty clean for nearly 12 years old and only had 25.000 on the clock
No leaks and roof works fine (for now lol)

Has had a full service, Timing belt and water pump, New foglamps, Pads and discs all round,4X Rainsport tyres, Rear box, K&N Filter, Rims refurbished and sprayed and much more

Just amended with a 7 hour clean today!! and new personalised plate
Thank you again everyone for the really nice comments

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
16,660 Posts
It' looks a nice low mileage example. It's obviously the exclusive model, as I can tell this by the Italian stitched leather seats & 17" pentas, they look good in black. Do you have the wind deflector? Makes a lot of difference when the hood is down.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It' looks a nice low mileage example. It's obviously the exclusive model, as I can tell this by the Italian stitched leather seats & 17" pentas, they look good in black. Do you have the wind deflector? Makes a lot of difference when the hood is down.
Thank you so much for the great comments
Yes I do have the wind deflector but removed it as it has a small hole
I am ordering a new one this month
I do not know which look I actually prefer to be honest?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is in brilliant condition for the year, and the interior looks like new. Must be about the cleanest Tigra out there! Nice to see a cared for motor. :)(y)
Again its nice to hear people say its a real clean car and thank you so much for the great comments
I am pretty fussy about washing and cleaning it normally but as I am on furlough it gets extra :ROFLMAO:

I know its a hairdressers car but I love it and my second Tigra after a 96 1.4
Dare I say I went to a Puma! in between and a few other makes
But do love a 2 door coupe/conv sized car

·
Premium Member
16,660 Posts
Thank you so much for the great comments
Yes I do have the wind deflector but removed it as it has a small hole
I am ordering a new one this month
I do not know which look I actually prefer to be honest?
It looks better without the deflector, but the deflector helps with reducing the wind within the cabin when driving with the hood down. As I know when I took the wife's Tigra Exclusive out on the odd occasion when she owned one.
I also liked the Puma, my brother used to own one.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks better without the deflector, but the deflector helps with reducing the wind within the cabin when driving with the hood down. As I know when I took the wife's Tigra Exclusive out on the odd occasion when she owned one.
I also liked the Puma, my brother used to own one.
I have to say for a pure driving experience the Puma beats the Tigra hands down
The VVTI engine loves to rev hard and for pep and handling its amazing
I think there is 1BHP between the 1.7 Puma and 1.8 Tigra but its the roof that adds a bit of weight and rigidity
But then the roof is nice now and again

And def the deflector does help with wind

(y)

·
Premium Member
16,660 Posts
I have to say for a pure driving experience the Puma beats the Tigra hands down
The VVTI engine loves to rev hard and for pep and handling its amazing
I think there is 1BHP between the 1.7 Puma and 1.8 Tigra but its the roof that adds a bit of weight and rigidity
But then the roof is nice now and again

And def the deflector does help with wind

(y)
I'd probably agree about the pure driving experience between the two, but owning a Tigra is not really about straight line speed, more chilling with the roof down. Although for a convertible it is fairly rigid with the roof down. The sills are reinforced, then you also have a rear steel cross member, you could see this if you look underneath the car from the back. We owned an 09 Tigra 1.4 Exclusive, wife bought it from when it was around months old.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd probably agree about the pure driving experience between the two, but owning a Tigra is not really about straight line speed, more chilling with the roof down. Although for a convertible it is fairly rigid with the roof down. The sills are reinforced, then you also have a rear steel cross member, you could see this if you look underneath the car from the back. We owned an 09 Tigra 1.4 Exclusive, wife bought it from when it was around months old.
Yeah totally agree about the chilled drive and I think they did a top class job on the roof (Heuliez)
But I must admit I always think when I am driving mine that there is just something amiss with the power?
I worked for Vauxhall back 96-01and had company cars and the 1.4 1.6 1.8 of that time in various Vauxhalls always were peppy, Take my old 1.4 Tigra I truly believe my 1.8 feels no more powerful which I do feel is strange. I have changed many many things on this car just because I felt something was holding it back( MAF sensor, Plugs, K&N filter, Rear box and more) Just trying to eliminate where the power sap might be coming from.
OR maybe they all drive like mine?

Pity they did not do a VXR type version like the racing Puma!!

·
Registered
2006 Vectra C 1.8, 2008 Astra Twintop 1.8
298 Posts
Take my old 1.4 Tigra I truly believe my 1.8 feels no more powerful which I do feel is strange.
The Z18XER needs to be revved hard to get the best out of it. My Vectra shifts quite well once you get it up the rev range, and that's a big old barge. I would have thought the Tigra would fly with the 1.8, despite the weight of the roof. It cant be as heavy as the Vec C, the Astra Twintop weighs about the same though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Z18XER needs to be revved hard to get the best out of it. My Vectra shifts quite well once you get it up the rev range, and that's a big old barge. I would have thought the Tigra would fly with the 1.8, despite the weight of the roof. It cant be as heavy as the Vec C, the Astra Twintop weighs about the same though.
Yeah agree on it best place is higher revs
But as you said before I bought it I thought the 1.8 in a little car would move pretty well
I am not looking for neck snapping but after having a 1.4 Tigra, Ford Puma, and then the 1.8 plus driving many other cars I would have to say I am a little deflated by its performance

·
Registered
298 Posts
Quite low mileage though, maybe it needs a little running in. Have to say that my Vec has got better the older it has got, it has 108k on it now and its much more spritely than when I got it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quite low mileage though, maybe it needs a little running in. Have to say that my Vec has got better the older it has got, it has 108k on it now and its much more spritely than when I got it.
Had not thought about that? I can hope
I would say its best range is 50-100mph on the motorway But I can no way see its claimed 127mph !!

Going off topic I am new on here and just want to know the best place to post stories or talk about some of the cars I dont own etc
I have pics I took today of a car the next street that I have seen for the last 30 plus years and wanted peoples views

You mentioned your cars how is the the Astra twintop to drive etc?

·
Premium Member
16,660 Posts
Could be a really good project car!!
Pick them up cheap and most parts still available(y)
If I was tempted back into buying another as a project or a summer car for the wife, I'd go for the 1.4 again, was good on juice too. The engine sounded sweet, neither did it feel underpowered. The Tigra sits on a Corsa C chassis anyway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I was tempted back into buying another as a project or a summer car for the wife, I'd go for the 1.4 again, was good on juice too. The engine sounded sweet, neither did it feel underpowered. The Tigra sits on a Corsa C chassis anyway.
That is exactly another issue I have with its 25MPG is not great in my view and around 250-280 on a tank
Now I know the official figures on most cars are ideal settings and hard to match but gives a rough idea and have to take in to account age

But the 1.8 Tigra figures on a tank are 380!!!! ???

I need to drive a 1.4 as I thought it would be looking at figures a mile behind the 1.8 in pep but if I had to say how my car feels I would say 1.4-1.6 tops the 1.8 should be lively IMO

·
Registered
298 Posts
You mentioned your cars how is the the Astra twintop to drive etc?
Only driven it once which is the day I picked it up back in November, its been sat on the drive ever since. From what I remember it was a nice drive, similar to the Vec in terms of 'go' but felt much tighter.
It'll hopefully be back on the road next month, it's had its roof fixed, new discs and pads all around, new suspension, new wheels and tyres, new exhaust, new cam cover, new air and cabin filters, new spark plugs, new battery, and new timing and auxiliary belts.
It needs an oil and filter change and new brake fluid and then hopefully it should fly through its MOT!

That is exactly another issue I have with its 25MPG is not great in my view and around 250-280 on a tank
Now I know the official figures on most cars are ideal settings and hard to match but gives a rough idea and have to take in to account age

But the 1.8 Tigra figures on a tank are 380!!!! ???

I need to drive a 1.4 as I thought it would be looking at figures a mile behind the 1.8 in pep but if I had to say how my car feels I would say 1.4-1.6 tops the 1.8 should be lively IMO
That doesn't sound right to me at all, I get 350+ miles out of the Vec and I have a very heavy right foot, there's no way you should be getting less than 300MPG in a tiny Tigra.

Which 1.8 lump is in the Tigra? Is it the VVT (Z18XER) or the older Z18XE?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Again its nice to hear people say its a real clean car and thank you so much for the great comments
I am pretty fussy about washing and cleaning it normally but as I am on furlough it gets extra :ROFLMAO:

I know its a hairdressers car but I love it and my second Tigra after a 96 1.4
Dare I say I went to a Puma! in between and a few other makes
But do love a 2 door coupe/conv sized car
You can see that it's a cared for car. We have an active detailing thread Vauxhall Owners Network Forum be great to hear any tips or tricks!

The Puma was a great motor. Mrs W was tempted to buy one when they were quite new, but we are just too practical to own 2 seaters cars! Maybe one day though. I remember the fantastic Puma TV add cleverly looked like Steve McQueen driving.

Going off topic I am new on here and just want to know the best place to post stories or talk about some of the cars I dont own etc
I have pics I took today of a car the next street that I have seen for the last 30 plus years and wanted peoples views
We are all up for a new thread about cars, it'll get plenty of input for sure. Start a new topic inhttps://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/forums/general-chat.9/ top RHSide 'Start Discussion' :)(y)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts