Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Likes this.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After my beloved Mondeo ST TDCi died in a big cloud of smoke at 161,000 miles earlier this month (91,000 relatively trouble free miles covered by myself over the last six years), I had to get a new car.

I was hoping the Mondeo was going to last another couple of years really and was then planning on replacing it with hopefully a Focus ST estate or a Skoda Octavia vRS estate - but that was not to be.

Given that we didn't have the extra couple of years to save up a bit more, I ended up plumping for a 2016 Seat Leon FR TDi estate (or ST - supertouring ;) ). for an euqaivalent aged (and mileage) Focus or Octavia you were looking at around at least another £1500 - £2000, probably more, so it was a no-brainer really.

Dealer pics....
d3da57cec1c842be8ddd0f6301b84fe3.jpg
6bb8164dab8e446f968662849dc5771f.jpg
1d95d920aaf14ed1b6828d3ea2551c75.jpg
f6f4019d5744403f848f932110babda8.jpg
a6ee58b34c0b439f96906585f063a5b9.jpg
d762f067e8a6497699338cff703c2b0d.jpg
4c70546f9dda4389be514cebbeb495c6.jpg
9c585e5b14184b55b1072305bc452780.jpg
53473c0fe80c4bf9a508bca35dfc073f.jpg
e0f42728b39447feb70b33fdf97db988.jpg

·
Likes this.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice Steve , i did have to check what FR stood for & found out it's Formula Racing.
Yes, so to give it its full name - Seat Leon Formula Racing Technology Edition Super Touring :ROFLMAO:

·
Likes this.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't really need to think too hard about whether to buy it or not, I aboslutely loved it and thought it was a decent enough price. The dealer wasn't prepared to haggle even slightly, but to be fair it was well priced when looking at others on Autotrader. So we bought it. Part cash, part unsecured loan - so no HP or anything secured on the car :)

Here it is at home after a trip back from dealers in the rain on 18th June....

20200618_121314.jpg
20200618_121328.jpg

·
Likes this.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Over the last weekend, I've given it a full claying, coat of Auto Glym Super Resin Polish, a coat of Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection, polished the glass, dressed the tyres. All inbetween the rain :LOL:

Tried to get some pics after all the hard work at the weekend, but the rain didn't make it easy and the pics don't really do it justice because when dry it looks soooooo much better now than it did when I first saw it at the dealers, even though they'd cleaned it well. It just wasn't "SteveW" well...... ;)

Oh, and I've got my private plates on it now too :)

20200628_215540.jpg
20200628_215632.jpg
20200628_175222.jpg
20200628_175230.jpg

·
Likes this.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some wide roads on your estate , i take it that the metal fencing is more land ready to be built on ?
Yeah for a modern new-build development (it's a development, not an estate :LOL: ;) ), it has quite wide roads around a lot of it and the houses aren't built on top of each other either really. It's one of the things that attracted us to the estate when compared to others going up locally to be honest.

The plan was initially for a few industrial units to be built at the far end of the estate (where I took the last pics), hence the metal fencing. Whether that happens, or they change their mind and build more houses in the end I'm not too sure what's going to happen to be honest.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
It's a nice looking car Steve that's for sure but with all this attention I'm reminded of the old saying about When a man opens the car door for his wife it's either a new car or a new wife. Hope your honey-auto-moon lasts for a long while.

I'm a bit late to the party with this one but all this polishing you've done on top of what the dealers guys have done, I'd have been tempted to run it through a car wash a few times or at the very least give a good scrub with washing up liquid to get rid of whatever they put on it. You might wind up getting a bloom on the paint work if your polish stuff starts fighting with their polish stuff.

btw I see Its a diesel, does it have the Adblue or the Eolys system?

·
Likes this.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*It's a nice looking car Steve that's for sure but with all this attention I'm reminded of the old saying about When a man opens the car door for his wife it's either a new car or a new wife. Hope your honey-auto-moon lasts for a long while.

**I'm a bit late to the party with this one but all this polishing you've done on top of what the dealers guys have done, I'd have been tempted to run it through a car wash a few times or at the very least give a good scrub with washing up liquid to get rid of whatever they put on it. You might wind up getting a bloom on the paint work if your polish stuff starts fighting with their polish stuff.

***btw I see Its a diesel, does it have the Adblue or the Eolys system?
* Never heard that saying before and not sure what it means :LOL: I've only been married since October (second marriage) so definitely not currently looking for a new wife, or indeed a new car now either :D

**This car will not be going anywhere NEAR a car wash, or even a "hand" car wash..... I clay barred the whole car before I polished, I've never taken a polish off a car before applying new and never had an issue in over 30 years of doing so ;)

** I'm pretty sure it's not either? But I could be wrong..... :)

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
It will almost certainly be ad blue at that age. Eolys is the Peugeot system, but went out some time before 2015 (Peugeot engines were also used in some Fords & Suzuki, so they used Eolys as well).
My son has a 15 plate Peugeot & that uses ad blue, seems to use about a litre per 1,000 miles (he's done about 10,000 miles so far, and had to put in about 10 litres to fill it after the warning came on).

·
Registered
438 Posts
Looks a decent car, and I do agree about the ST’s, I do like those myself tbh, just a pity vx never did a vxr estate.
To my mind it’s more of a sport wagon, bigger than a hatch but smaller than a full estate, so driving should give near 50/50 weight distribution, and their well equipped.

Hope you enjoy the time you have it bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
**This car will not be going anywhere NEAR a car wash, or even a "hand" car wash..... I clay barred the whole car before I polished, I've never taken a polish off a car before applying new and never had an issue in over 30 years of doing so ;)
Last time we were out in California staying at our daughters I was down the car accessories shops and I asked one of them what they recommended for bringing up faded paint and they said TR3 Resin Glaze. They didn't have any in stock so when I mentioned it to my daughter she went on-line and ordered half a dozen tins (she's a bt like that my daughter, not to be trusted with a laprop and a credit card:)) so I brought a couple of them home, left the rest there for her to nag the boys into doing the family cars.

Only once I got back I read on the back that's it's not safe for metallics, in other words its Brasso, so a quick international phone call was made to avoid disaster stateside. Just discovered the other week its great stuff for cleaning up alloy wheels. When it comes to car polish best to gang warily.

·
Likes this.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It will almost certainly be ad blue at that age. Eolys is the Peugeot system, but went out some time before 2015 (Peugeot engines were also used in some Fords & Suzuki, so they used Eolys as well).
My son has a 15 plate Peugeot & that uses ad blue, seems to use about a litre per 1,000 miles (he's done about 10,000 miles so far, and had to put in about 10 litres to fill it after the warning came on).
I can't see anywhere to add any adblue on the car at all. There's usually another filler by the fuel filler isn't there? There's nothing there in my Leon, just the filler for the diesel.

·
Likes this.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Looks a decent car, and I do agree about the ST’s, I do like those myself tbh, just a pity vx never did a vxr estate.
To my mind it’s more of a sport wagon, bigger than a hatch but smaller than a full estate, so driving should give near 50/50 weight distribution, and their well equipped.

Hope you enjoy the time you have it bud

Thanks, if the first couple of weeks are anything to go by I'm gonna love it and it's making the grieving process for the Mondeo ST an awful lot easier :LOL:

It drives and handles very well to be honest, feels almost sports car like and much more like a hot hatch in respect to handling than an estate as you said really.

It's a smaller car than I wanted really - would have preferred the slightly larger Skoda Octavia vRS, but given the timings and premature death of the Mondeo, I didn't want to add more to the loan than was essential. The boot in the Mondeo was massive for a hatchback and the Leon actually isn't far off that, if you move the floor to its lower position (it has adjustable floor level! :LOL:).

According to the specs, it's actually got a capacity of about 50 litres more than the Mk3 Mondeo, but I'm not so sure.

I rarely need the full boot anyway, but do go camping at least once a year with my eldest daughter and we take a lot of gear - mainly because we could in the Mondeo I guess, but we've got used to taking a big tent, gazebo, chairs, cooking stuff, duvet (for daughter! :LOL: ) and we never had to put any of it on the back seat of the Mondeo.

Won't be going this year as the festival's been cancelled, but I'm not too concerned about not being able to fit it all in, even if we do end up having to put some of it over the back seats :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
My mum had a Mondeo years ago and loved it right up until it died as well, it was a car I just couldn’t get used to driving tho, ended up getting her a corsa at the time, only because my dad said she didn’t need a big car.
Now the corsa is dead due to the subframe issue and covid (2 man job to remove, not enough ramps at the dealers and the possibility the chassis is gone when the subframe comes out) my dads been looking at fabia’s, polo’s and Leon’s,
Thing is their all part of the vag group, so using proven tech and I hate saying it but build quality is miles ahead of vx

·
Likes this.
11,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My mum had a Mondeo years ago and loved it right up until it died as well, it was a car I just couldn’t get used to driving tho, ended up getting her a corsa at the time, only because my dad said she didn’t need a big car.
Now the corsa is dead due to the subframe issue and covid (2 man job to remove, not enough ramps at the dealers and the possibility the chassis is gone when the subframe comes out) my dads been looking at fabia’s, polo’s and Leon’s,
Thing is their all part of the vag group, so using proven tech and I hate saying it but build quality is miles ahead of vx

I think you're right about the build quality of the VAG cars, they really are a class above the Fords, Renaults, Vauxhalls I'm afraid.

I always saw Seat as the "bugdet" marque of the VAG cars though - so was pleasantly surprised with the feel of the Leon, and the ultimate "does it sound like a Golf" door close test :LOL:

I appreciate that the Skodas, VWs and Audis are probably even better, but this is certainly no Dacia/Renault type compromise.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Renault in the late 80s and early 90s were decent cars, plagued with electrical issues tho, I served my time in parts on Renault, still to this day I wouldn’t trust them tho they are well equipped.
Your right about the Skoda and seat range being classed as the “budget” range, even tho they are better equipped than the equivalent VW or Audi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts