Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably tempting fate by creating this post but what the hell…

So story so far:

The first cam belt change on my Omega was performed at 75,000 miles (Previous owner). This is obviously well over the recommended 40k. But I’m not sure when VX changed it so could have been pretty normal. In any case it’s quite lucky it survived that long.

I then buy the car with 130kish miles. I read the manual etc and think 70+75=145. 15,000 miles to spare until a cam belt change!
Moving swiftly on, I recently found these forums and you lovely bunch of guys and the first thing I read is the cam belt interval is 40k. That means my car is now on 138k and 23k over the 40k limit… ****.

Haha, well it survived and I got it replaced along with a service this week.
The condition of the old belt didn’t seem too bad. It looked clean and in fairly good nick. However as this is the first cam belt I have ever seen I cant really say what condition it was actually in :lmao:
The Tensioner on the other hand was some what dodgy… The little wheel spun freely and seemed fine. The bigger wheel however (the tensioner), was jammed solid!? I assume this is meant to spin?

So 7 lives left!

Got a phone call from the garage today. He received an email from Vauxhall saying not to fit the cam belt kit as its part of a bad batch. 5 out of 12 have failed so far. **** x 2…
Well my car is back at the garage and a new belt is being fitted.

6 lives left. The story continues…

If you have recently changed your belt with a part from the Birmingham area it may be worth checking with Vauxhall if you could be affected.

Also thanks to AutoAddict for the tip on the garage. Nice guy, I’m a bit sorry to have caused him so much grief, haha :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update:
The guy is a legend... he stayed late and got the cam belt sorted.
He is opening the gates on his day off tomorrow so i can collect the car.
And he fixed a recently blown rear brake light AND fixed my drivers side door handle free of charge.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Had my belt done at Vx last November, was supposed to be ready next day but then they said that there was something wrong with the kit they fitted and they needed to remove it and fit another kit, and kept the car for another day - so probably same batch...?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts