Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Gonna get some more powerful bulbs, and fit new earth, as Mark suggested.
I will let you know how good they are
Riso

·
Registered
466 Posts
Personally I'd bung in some HIDs as they're projector lights anyway. OK you may have issues with legality due to no headlight washers and automatic levelling, but I've never heard anyone else having problems with retrofit kits.

Obviously they're a lot more expensive than decent halogen bulbs, but once you've driven a car with HIDs halogens just don't cut it. Both my cars have them and I wouldn't go back. Depends how much night driving you do whether they're worth the cost.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
ive just tried halfords 100 watt bulbs in the same type of head lamps and they started to melt the wiring

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
SOme plus 50's would do the job nicely.

Run a nice new earth in and check the main engine and battery earth to and away you go.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
why can I see the whole HID Xenon Disharge Halogen Incandescant thing starting again.

The HIDs that are reffered to above are the Real Arc Discharge bulbs, they ones you link too are a filament bulb, only the glass envelope is filled with Xenon gas rather than Halogen gas.

Makes the filament burn a little hotter, and a bit whiter, but still on a specrum, there will be little blue light, as you cant produce much blue from heating a strib of wire, the best you can get is a really really bright yellow

·
Registered
466 Posts
Do not buy the blue HID-look filament bulbs. Not only do they look crap and very chav-tastic (and nothing like real HIDs) they actually perform worse than bog-standard bulbs because the only way you get the blue colour is by filtering some of the light from the yellow end of the spectrum, so you actually lose output.

Real HIDs produce a much whiter and more intense light because they work in a fundamentally different way, you can't emulate that with fancy gases and coatings on filament bulbs.

Personally I wouldn't touch those bulbs you seen on eBay. They'll probably have a poor beam pattern as well as crap light output as the quality control is very low on most of those types.

If you want to stick with normal bulbs, get something like Philips Vision Plus or Osram Silver Star. Both these produce better light output and whiter light than standard halogens, at the cost of slightly shorter life because the filament burns hotter. They are still standard 55W so won't damage your wiring or reflectors. Try www.powerbulbs.com I've bought from them a few times and have always had good service.

BTW You can get real HID retrofit kits here: http://www.hids4u.co.uk/products.asp but they're much more expensive and more difficult to fit than normal bulbs.

Paul.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the Info Paul,
I have ordered 2 H1 & 2 H7 from powerbulbs
Can't wait to get them up and running
BTW total for the 4 bulbs £43 inc
Riso

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got them fitted, took it out for a run tonight, full beam is amazing, lights everything up like daylight, dip beam is very very bright, but the passenger one is pointing way over to the right.
How do I align them?
Thanks
Colin

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Yes there is, it points out the front of the car.

Spray them up well with WD40 or a little grease to stop them rusting up.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Riso said:
Got them fitted, took it out for a run tonight, full beam is amazing, lights everything up like daylight, dip beam is very very bright, but the passenger one is pointing way over to the right.
How do I align them?
Thanks
Colin
I'm looking to buy a pair of those, direct from Germany to save a bit more...But what I wanted to know, did you find the adjustment screws to make them useable in the UK?

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
There are a set of flaps behind the rubber covers where the bulbs go to set left and right hand drive also.......forgot to mention that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts