Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts
Don't like them wheels in black.. the original black wheels looked nice imo, but some colours just don't suit some wheels..

Not mad keen on the green/silver thing, a little bit too Ripspeed/Halfords/Lax Power for my liking, and never been a fan of them upper rear spoilers.

All the negative stuff aside... still a big fan of the Mk3 Cav, can see another one in our lives some day..

Tidy car matey... nice one :up:

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Don't like them wheels in black.. the original black wheels looked nice imo, but some colours just don't suit some wheels..

Not mad keen on the green/silver thing, a little bit too Ripspeed/Halfords/Lax Power for my liking, and never been a fan of them upper rear spoilers.

All the negative stuff aside... still a big fan of the Mk3 Cav, can see another one in our lives some day..

Tidy car matey... nice one :up:
Cheers buddy. The more I do to her, the more people like it. Means I am doing something right.

Well the spoilers are off now, and I don't plan on putting them back on. I will probably put an SRi lip spoiler on at some point just to cover up the mess with the boot. I am liking the silver wheels more and more each time I look at it, so will probably leave them as be.

I am thinking along the lines of sleeper to be honest. The thought of driving in something that looks mundane, but has a nasty surprise is amusing :D

Discussion starter · #24 ·
Don't want to take this off-topic for ya but I like the subtle look..

This was my old V6.. should never have sold it :(
Thats loverly.

Ok you have convinced me :D ... sublety is the key. I think I will now be going down the unassuming to look at route, but a monster underneath. Body wise I think I will get some paint and laquer in and start going aound cleaing up all the blemishes. There are a couple of dings here and there, and some pretty bad painting patches on the bumpers so will whip them off and get them back to showroom. Still keep the original colour though.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Ok more work done. Tracked some new clocks down and put them in after giving them a bit of a clean. Can you spot the difference?

Old:

New:

Also while wandering around thinking what should be done next I hit another problem.

Picture the scene. Ciggy in mouth looking at the car. Standing on the drivers side and saw a puddle under the sill of the car. Hmm I wonder .. whats that. Put ciggy in mouth and get to the ground. As I reach up I have a sniff and the smell of petrol hits me.

"Awooogah Awooogah .. ALARM ALARM" thats petrol. Ciggy got flung yards away as I realise I am going to explode. Bl**ding fuel line had sprung a leak. Anyway took them off and had to replace them. Got some tubing from a hardware store and bent them into shape and replaced them. All for lees that a fiver. Job done. Here are the old ones for interests sake. Only one was leaking from a pin prick hole, but changed them both for peace of mind.

Only a photo of the ends of them but they were like this all along the length.

Next step is to replace the boot lid. Will get some piccies of the WIP later.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Alwys one to get distracted. Saw this on here and thought I could do that. Thanks DJGritt as I think you were the one I pinched the idea off on your how2.

Popped down the scrappy and pillaged an omega for the bits and promptly fitted them when I got back

Hate working under the hood with that bleeding bonnet prop in the way and makes things much nicer with the bonnet open.

All cars should have bonnet lifters :D

I like the high rear spoiler .
Loose the recaro badges on the leather though .

I remember taking a lot of business from PVD by sourcing and selling bonnet lifters.
Hope that didn't contribute to their demise :think :lmao:

Best thing I done with mine was colour code them ;)

Discussion starter · #29 ·

I like the high rear spoiler .
Loose the recaro badges on the leather though .
I took the top spoiler off matey ... its for sale at the moment if you want it. I am going down the sleeper route.

Alwys one to get distracted. Saw this on here and thought I could do that. Thanks DJGritt as I think you were the one I pinched the idea off on your how2.

Popped down the scrappy and pillaged an omega for the bits and promptly fitted them when I got back

Hate working under the hood with that bleeding bonnet prop in the way and makes things much nicer with the bonnet open.
I like that,and will do it my Cav.
Any fitting tips? Jerry

Discussion starter · #31 ·
I just modified the How2 DJGritt posted, but like a fool cannot find it anymore. Will put some detailed instructions up here tomorrow, explaining the small change I did to them.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
One to be distracted again and I never got round to doing what I intend to do. Thought to myself "those are Calibra leathers in there so I wonder if they are heated". Got down and had a butchers and low and behold they are. Could see the leads dangling down. Ok me thinks all I need to do now is plug them in, find the plugs for the switches and away we go.

First off was to do this :

Searched high and low for the plugs for the seats and couldn't find them anywhere. Thought to myself "I bet I have the only 1995 model GLS Cavalier that never got the loom installed ... perhaps they ran out when they got to my car". Lucky I did do this though as the foam floor padding stuff under the carpet was soaking with water. Cannot fathom out where it came from and its on both sides. Only the bit in the footwells though. Anyway cut them out and they are now hanging in the bathroom drip drying as we speak after squeezing as much as I could out of them. That should take days but hey I don't need soundproofing and it will be a heck of a lot lighter :D

Anyways I then gave up on looking for them as I was getting a bit irrited so I went for broke and looked for the plugs for the switches. I have read they can be a pain in the proverbial to find so out came the centre console (along with a good clean) and stuck my head under the dash. WOW there they are. Two little plugs tucked neatly under the dash ... one green and one black (the arrows are pointing to where I found them behind the plastic on the first pic. The second pic shows behind the lip and the bottom loom they were cable tied to) :

Anyways I already have the switch mounts as I have traction control so fed everything back through the various holes and put the console back in (as you can see from the first pic) All that was needed is to push the switches in ... oh and find those blasted seat plugs. They ain't anywhere to be found. Pulled up all the carpet and traced all the wires back up into the dash. Might have to go to a scrappy and see if there is one there and get a better idea of what I am looking for.

I like that,and will do it my Cav.
Any fitting tips? Jerry
I just modified the How2 DJGritt posted, but like a fool cannot find it anymore. Will put some detailed instructions up here tomorrow, explaining the small change I did to them.
My How2 is here;

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=126640

Mine worked without any minor tweaking etc (and i've done it to 2 Cavs now), must be luck of the draw! :lmao::Cool2:

Discussion starter · #34 ·
My How2 is here;

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=126640

Mine worked without any minor tweaking etc (and i've done it to 2 Cavs now), must be luck of the draw! :lmao::Cool2:

Lol ... All i did was to drill a 5.5mm hole above the hinge on the bonnet and tap it out using a seat bolt. They are self tapping screws like the little bolts that are in the plate that goes into the wing. Then screw in the ball joint bolt thingy.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Nah just looked at it and thought "I am going to balls that up and then have a really flappy bonnet" so didn't take the risk :D

Discussion starter · #38 ·
Another thing I thought would work would be to tack/weld a shallow nut on there and bolt into that.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Ok had a day in the sun today pulling wires about and a trip to the scrappy to look at a reference model. Fortunatly there was an old CDX model up there (which I have been pillaging for parts over the last couple of months). Now I refered to the Haynes manual and found out that the rear fog light switches are the same as the heated seat switches (just different picture on the front). Grabbed a couple of them and also found the plugs for the heated seats. Traced them back to the passenger footwell and they all go into the black connector thingy there. Snipped them off along with the trip computer switch loom and felt chuffed as it only cost me a quid. Wasn't too bothered about the trip computer wiring but got them as well. However I plan to use the Omega Stalk with the variable wiper thingy in as well, so the actual wires will be useful for that task.

Went home and check the floor foam pad things and the drivers side is still wet. However went about wiring in the seat loom. found the black/red and black/yellow wires coming down from the dash that were the other ends of the switch wires and wired them in. earthed the brown wires to the chassis. Plugged in one of the fog switches and plugged in the seat

Nothing .... Nope .... ahh still nothing. Not even the light on the switch is on. Pushed a switch into the drivers side switch. Tested for voltage and nothing. Frantic clicking and testing ensued. Traced all the wires back and tested for continuity. Had continuity. Looked at the haynes manual and saw it was all fed from the heated rear window loom. Tried that and there was power. Checked the fuse for the seats again and it was fine. Looked at the wiring diagram over and over and double checked everything. All seemed fine. Pulled the switch out and checked for power going into the switch ... 14.1 volts. Why then doesn't the power get to the seats when the power is at the switch ... hold on the diagram says the rear fog lights are the same ... wonder what happens if I put a front fog light switch in? Oh lordy, it works.

So for future reference. If you cannot find any proper seat switches use FRONT fog light switches .. not rear ones as the Haynes manual says.

Anyway I am still waiting for the drivers side footwell foam to dry, but put all the passenger side foam, carpet, trim, seat and stuff. Even put both halves of the centre consol back in. All that's left to do is wait for the rest of the footwell foam to dry and put all the drivers side trim and seat in. Then off to the scrappy to swap the rear fog switches, with some front fog switches. Oh, and grab the next few gems I spotted there that will be going on ;)

God I love Cavaliers, and this site amoungst others for so many resources.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Finally after 4 days of squeezing and leaving in the sun, hanging in the bathroom, leaning up against the radiator the drivers side floor foam stuff is finally dry, so that will be put back in today. It was getting annoying with it out, and that will hopefully finish that job.

Ok get your thinking caps on. Picked up some more bits yesterday and see if you guess what it is, and them how much it all cost :

There are a few clues :D

Was chuffed to bit when I got them and will be starting to put it all together today.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.