Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought my first Cavalier

It's an L plate 1.8i

The car starts ok, but when I accelerate it sounds as though the exhaust is blowing (It isn't as I have checked this) like a rasping sound and looses tons of power. It feels as though the engine is struggling to pull the car along :shame: and something is missing. I have changed the spark plugs and the leads are all sparking ok.

It also stutters about 2000 RPM when driving along.

Any tips or pointers would be great :Cool2:

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Sounds like a blocked exhaust possibly, I had this on my GSi a couple of years ago... made LOTS of noise but had no go at all.

D

·
0 Posts
Blocked Cat perhaps? Also hows the old fuel filter doing? When I first saved my Cav, it had been neglected a bit. It ran generally OK but a bit noisy, a bit sluggish and crap on fuel consumption. The first thing I did was stick a new air filter element in (the old one was absolutely minging, words can't describe the state it was in), and brand new correctly adjusted plugs. The improvement was imediately noticeable. She started easier, ran quieter and smoother, notably more power, and nearly twice as many miles to the gallon. Not bad considering the bits I bought came to less than £15 and took me a total of 20 minutes to do (and ten of those minutes were me and my mate drinking tea and listening to her ticking over nicely:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
wabbit1 said:
It also stutters about 2000 RPM when driving along.

Any tips or pointers would be great :Cool2:
mine does that....overtaking and gettin stuck at 3k isnt good when i got a micra comin 2wards you...i dunno wot the problem is either

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips.

Air filter is clean and the spark plugs are brand new. The exhouast from the CAT back is about 8 months old I think.

When I was cleaning the car the other day I pulled long strands of black "Hair" from the tailpipe. Would this be from a knackered CAT?

I'll try taking the exhaust off and to pieces at the weekend and cleaning it through with a wire brush. I'll try to rip out whats left of the CAT baffles to see if this solves it.

I'll update you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts