Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

It was my 17th birthday yesterday and i was lucky enough to get a Corsa SXI 16v 1.2i.
I need to insure it but im worried that it might be really high,something like £1500 a year.
My friend has 206 1.1 and her insurance is only £600 a year?

The questions i have to ask is:

1) Is there any good places that first time drivers can get cheap insurance on a corsa?

2)What does SXI 16v stand for in my car name?

3)Also im not sure if my car is a limited edition but i havent seen one like it on the net anywhere. It comes with tinted windows,aircon,cd player,alloys,metal petrol cap and pedals all as standard?

D

·
0 Posts
There's a really good, and impartial, insurance finder on the autotrader website. As you've just turned 17 you might be contacted by loads of firms claiming to do special deals for new and/or young drivers. Be wary of them, they are often more expensive than the mainstream ones.

Have you done Pass Plus by the way? Some insurers will give you a years no claims discount if you do it, which would more than pay for the cost of the course.

·
CavWeb Audio Master
1,777 Posts
Seems reasonably standard for an SXI just with a few factory/dealer fit options. Tinted windows, alloys & cd player standeard, air con optional & I guess it's had a styling pack what with petrol cap & pedals.

Girlfriend used to insure hers with Tesco, with me included has been under £300 most of the time. We are mid-late 20's but I think it's only group 3 insurance so for what you're getting car wise you very low on insuarnce too.

C

·
0 Posts
Would think sxi would bump the insurance up. Remember my cdi cav was a couple groups higher than a gli, same engine, performance etc, just higher spec.
Elephant are always good, and put your mum down as a named driver - has saved me and little brother getting into the thousands now.

·
CavWeb Audio Master
1,777 Posts
Forgot to say welcome and also main problem we had with ours was having difficulty selecting 1st gear, this was down to a worn gear selector assembly which Vauxhall made a hugely modified part to replace it (about £80 I think)
Also back of the car seems to attract dirt & our rear windscreen wiper siezed through lack of use resulting in having to hacksaw through the shaft as we couldn't remove the arm to remove it from windscreen so give that a once over.
Last issue we had was cooling fan siezed, again from lack of use. One day the switch kicked in & the motor just burnt itself out with lots of smoke from under bonnet.
The car was rarely used in day to day use & never sat in traffic hence problems through lack of use.

All that aside it was a good little car, I enjoyed getting out in it & give it a thrash.

·
CavWeb Audio Master
1,777 Posts
As CallyT says, add someone as a named driver, seems to bring quote down wether they know they're on the insurance or not.

D

·
0 Posts
I learnt to drive in a Corsa. I drove a 1.0 and a 1.2 (on seperate occassions of course :). The 1.0 is a shopping trolley but the 1.2 was a fantastic little machine.

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
Theyre a nice nippy car.
Insurance is only grp3 or something which when you consider its 75bhp and 0-60 of 11.1s its fair respectable.
Do pass plus though, don't forget your friend is female and girls get cheaper insurance

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im just learning to drive now,had 3 lessons so far so havent done pass plus.
I had a look on confused.com and they gave me £1200 for a quote.

The car has extras that i know of: Metal pedals,petrol cap,air con,cd player,alloys,twin exaust.

Does anyone else have the same car as this or has in the paste,if so what was your insurance price?

·
Registered
83 Posts
bloody hell it must be novas mines a 1.2 wiv a bloody carb :| ive got my test next week and deffo do ur pass plus wen u pass cus it gives you the equivelent of 1 years no clainms

·
Registered
83 Posts
its just 6 more lessons that cover a few different things just found out what they r, driving in town, in all weathers, on rural roads, at night, on dual carriageways and on motorways

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In my first 2 lessons ive had to book them at night so i have a bit of expirance with night driving then :lmao:

Does it cost more for the lessons?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Corsa17 said:
Im just learning to drive now,had 3 lessons so far so havent done pass plus.
I had a look on confused.com and they gave me £1200 for a quote.

The car has extras that i know of: Metal pedals,petrol cap,air con,cd player,alloys,twin exaust.

Does anyone else have the same car as this or has in the paste,if so what was your insurance price?
try elephant and tesco but im afriad you might well not get it below £1000 at least.
being a young driver and being male you cant get cheap insurance,

thats a nice car you have, the petrol cap and pedals were prob something the dealer but on as an extra but the rest was probably standard for the SXi except maybe the exhaust which maybe another extra.

Insurance prices vary by £100's depending on so many things you cant really use someone elses price as something to compare too really,

also as you asked earlier SXI 16v means its a SXI (thats the model name) doesnt really stand for anything people guess it means Sports Xtra Injection, but really just some letters, its the vauxhall sporty model but not quite a SRi which would be the main sports model but in reality there isnt much between them,

hope that helps, and good luck with your lessons :up:

·
Registered
40 Posts
hey, welcome to the site.

i'm 18 and been driving about 8 months, i had big trouble with insurance, i drive a 1.4 sr nova and managed to get my insurance for 1400 quid which is pretty good going imho.

i would recommend either admiral or elephant, limit your mileage and garage your vehicle and go for the ten month policy.

another thing that underwriters love is thatcham one alarms/immobilisers.

and if you think your can get away with it go tpft.

from my experience(granted i'm in motorcylce insurance but still all the same)

if your mums got a clean licence and has held it for donkeys years add her to the policy, sometimes insurance companys offer a discount, i know some of our underwriters at work love it. if not go for your dad

dont even try to match a girls motor insurance quote, most companies give a ten percent discount.

hope this helps

Ian

C

·
0 Posts
Pass plus is well worth doing, and will more than pay for itself in insurance savings over the years.
Will probably be 4 hours or so up and down the motorway, coming off at most exits and coming back on, as all the other areas you'll have covered to some degree in your lessons previously.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
when getting insurance for my nephew i was told a girl drivinh the same car would pay approx £600 less,my nephew paid £1400 with pass plus driving a 1.4 merit astra,l reg,the insurance co do charge more if you drive an old car as they think you dont care what happens if you have a crash,but a newish car they reason you will look after it,go for pass plus as it will make a difference in your insurance quote,if your car hasnt had a factory fitted alarm you only need a cat 2 alarm to bring the security up to cat 1

1 - 20 of 36 Posts