Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I Eat Speed
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i'm pretty new here, thought i might as well post up pics of my cavalier. Just got it through the MOT (£500 :() and now have new brake pads/discs, suspension bushes and arms on the front, 3 new brake pipes, and 2 new front tyres.


Registered in 1994 apparently, done very nearly 190,000 miles but still flies along great. Cost £300 from a guy i know who was a mechanic with a years MOT, was only meant to be a cheap run around car till i could afford something better, but i think the next car i'll get will probably be a 2.0 SRi red top (or possibly just the engine)

£345 worth of audio equipment in it and the alloy's cost £420 with some cheap tyres (drivers side went bang got a cheap 2nd hand replacement for £20 to last till the MOT, passengers was so worn wires were poking out at the MOT garage, should have noticed really :p)

Next thing to do is get it lowered a bit, if i get the springs i know someone who'll fit them for £30, so ebay here i come ;) Also i know someone who can spray cars cheap as well, so get all the stickers removed and either just get a respray or get it all done black, not sure which to do yet. After the MOT bill i'll be waiting a little bit to do anything though.

Both the mechanics (garage i got the first MOT at, and the guy who lives on my street who does stuff for me real cheap) have said it's in great condition, with no rust anywhere, original wheel arches etc. Should go through next MOT fine, maybe a few small bits and bobs but nothing major
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,771 Posts
kneo_ghau said:
Both the mechanics (garage i got the first MOT at, and the guy who lives on my street who does stuff for me real cheap) have said it's in great condition, with no rust anywhere, original wheel arches etc. Should go through next MOT fine, maybe a few small bits and bobs but nothing major

looks clean :up:

but if its in great condition and no rust etc why did it cost £500 for a MOT?

EDIT: kust read it properly, you said all the work it needed,.... :eek: should have just bought a new one...lol
 

·
I Eat Speed
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andy R said:
looks clean :up:

but if its in great condition and no rust etc why did it cost £500 for a MOT?

EDIT: kust read it properly, you said all the work it needed,.... :eek: should have just bought a new one...lol
would have still needed to get new tyres anyway, they were the main thing. Also to date my cav has started EVERY time. Even when i came back from work at 9:30pm and left the interior light on, and my mum only noticed at around 8am and turned it off, took a few seconds longer but still fired up no problems. Took it for a few miles to make sure it was charged up again nicely as well.

It's just so far my car hasn't given me any problems aside from the hazard light switch being dodgy (not a real problem, bit of paper jammed in there and it works fine) and the exhaust was rusted and fell off the back box going down the motorway, £60 fix. Find me another car for £300 that'll last 2 yrs legally (possibly longer) comes with PAS, ABS, alloy's put on with no cuttings, amp/sub install easy (thanks to guide on here :D) and races really well. Seriously i've out cornered 206's, ford focus, and a cosworth with 16" alloys with out much problem and that was with my cheap tyres, can only imagine how much better the steering will be when it's lowered :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,771 Posts
kneo_ghau said:
Find me another car for £300 that'll last 2 yrs legally (possibly longer) comes with PAS, ABS, alloy's put on with no cuttings, amp/sub install easy (thanks to guide on here :D)


and races really well. Seriously i've out cornered 206's, ford focus, and a cosworth with 16" alloys with out much problem and that was with my cheap tyres, can only imagine how much better the steering will be when it's lowered :D
i agree cavs are excellent value for money i compeltley agree, i owned 2 and loved them both, ive known lots of people with them all very very reliable cars,

however im sure alot of people on here would agrue with you about them out handleing and racing a cosworth etc.. (im one of the more civil ppl on here i think so i wont bother ;))

:up:
 

·
.
Joined
·
15,300 Posts
Welcome to the site :)

Thats quite a claim to out corner a focus as they are pretty well sorted....
As for the Cossie, most of those are big old barges that dont corner that well, I know cause I had one ;)
 

·
ken boon
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
Andy R said:
i agree cavs are excellent value for money i compeltley agree, i owned 2 and loved them both, ive known lots of people with them all very very reliable cars,

however im sure alot of people on here would agrue with you about them out handleing and racing a cosworth.. (im one of the more civil ppl on here i think so i wont bother ;))

:up:
yes a cosworth is a little xtreme :lmao: my old cav sri 16v handled like soap it was lethal! the one i have now is much better but it has 60mm lowering springs with uprated dampers and front strut brace! even with all that they still lose grip on the rear very easily when pushed!
 

·
ken boon
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
Andy R said:
even the Escorts?

i have no clue about them tbh,
escort cossies do handle better but they still use the sierra floorpan! the rwd saphires and 3 door cossies didnt handle at all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,771 Posts
cgrextreme said:
escort cossies do handle better but they still use the sierra floorpan! the rwd saphires and 3 door cossies didnt handle at all!
never knew that.....
learn something new everyday....;)

anyway sorry to hijack the thread

:up:
 

·
I Eat Speed
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
never said i out raced the cosworth/focus, just out cornered them. Going along the dual carriageway the cosworth was beating me off the line at the traffic lights, but going round the roundabout i caught right up on him. TBH the kids driving it seemed like they'd done all the visual stuff on the car but no decent tuning under the engine. Make it all bling bling innit (Grrrrr damn chavs :p)

As for the focus, again in a straight line he pissed all over me, but we got to a roundabout and i hardly had to slow down whereas he was going about half the speed.

Seems most races i get in, as long as theres some corners i'll have an advantage. I mean i shouldn't be able to out race a focus but as soon as we'd gone for a few mins he realised that i wasn't gonna be out of view in his back window so just slowed down and let me over take. Thats pretty much the story of all my races, after a couple of mins cause i haven't disappeared "in my crappy little cavalier" they give up.
 

·
.
Joined
·
15,300 Posts
Have you thought they are not as willing to throw their expensive cars into corners as you do with your throw away cav?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,771 Posts
Dest said:
Have you thought they are not as willing to throw their expensive cars into corners as you do with your throw away cav?
beat me to it,

most people dont mind putting there foot down in straight lines, but when it comes to corners are a little more careful,
also someone speeding along in a cavlaier in there mirror not slowing for corners may have put them off a little and made them back off aswell ;)
 

·
I Eat Speed
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dest said:
Have you thought they are not as willing to throw their expensive cars into corners as you do with your throw away cav?
I've never spun out yet, and i know exactly what my cavalier can and can't take. And when it's a roundabout you can see fully around (not blind corners) theres no excuse not to throw it round unless you know it can't take it at the same sort of speeds

Although my car was originally purchased as a throw away car it soon changed.

My first car was a G reg 1.4 Ford escort estate, heavy, slow, and crap. I drove that damn thing around for months with virtually NO oil in the engine and the ******* never blew up. Cost £450 from someone we knew who wanted to get rid of it (was his dads, who'd died recently) and the idea is get me a cheap car so when i reverse into a lamp post or misjudge the distance of the wall, it doesn't matter. Got it to the end of the MOT and didn't even bother with the test, was happy to see it go. My cavalier was bought with the same idea in mind, but after the fact it's always started, it flies along, and has no problems with it has meant i got very worried when some tart reversed into me at tesco's car park (luckly no damage, she assumed i'd pull out into the non-moving queue already so didn't look. WTF)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,771 Posts
Dest said:
What about if they DIDNT WANT TO?
Looks like we got another JamesM here :lmao:
again beat me to it,

also other reasons could be black ice, small kids, other cars all of which you may not hve seen, and the other drivers may not have wanted to risk to just to beat you,
 

·
ken boon
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
kneo_ghau said:
Thats pretty much the story of all my races, after a couple of mins cause i haven't disappeared "in my crappy little cavalier" they give up.
:lmao: this is true
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top