Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys , got the car in the garage the other day looking for the oil leak that has been leaving a nice oily stain on my new driveway . I originally thought it was the rocker cover seals , but couldn't see much from the top so had a look underneath , oil everywhere ! surprised realy because I haven't had to top up the oil that much , but I guess a little goes a long long way . Took it in to a local garage to see if they could find the leak and they couldn't find anything after cleaning it up and running it for an hour , so I drive it home and park it on the drive which has a slope and had a quick look myself and there's oil pissing out the front of the engine!!(car was faceing nose down) Of course the garage has closed by this time so i couldn't take it back , but I was wondering where the hell can the oil be leaking from? The drip seems to be from behind the auxilliary belt pulley on the near side of the engine (right hand side looking from the front) . Anyone got any ideas on leaks , cost of repairs , replies appreciated:cry: :cry:

·
Registered
15 Posts
If it is the crankshaft seal (as mine was) think about having the cam belt and tensioners done at the same time as you will have to strip this down to get at it.:cry:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the leak is too high up for the crank shaft seal to be the problem , but can rocker cover seals realy leak that much??

R

·
0 Posts
Elite Man Steve said:
I think the leak is too high up for the crank shaft seal to be the problem , but can rocker cover seals realy leak that much??
Well now. Let me see........

YES!!!

As the self declared king of the rocker covers I can assure you that they can cause one hell of a mess.. Easy to check, pull a plug cap from both banks. If there is any oil on it then that cover gasket has gone.

If they have gone, which I also suspect is the case, read my posts regarding crankcase breathers because that will almost certainly be teh cause of the problem to start with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts