1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was MOT time *gulp*

Dreading the worst....

The bad news:

My new wheels all need the tyres replacing because the budget tyres have all split on the inside (one on the out too) despite having covered less than 1500miles.

The good news:

The only other thing the car failed on was the horn (which I know about just need to go scrappy) and a bulb for the rear numberplate light!

So bitter sweet really, pissed off that the nearly new tyres need replacing at such low mileage because of shoddy materials in the budget tyres, but on the other hand so chuffed that the car's stood a year of my abuse and 12,000 miles and all it had to moan about was the horn and the numberplate light!

Pretty chuffed at that atleast, 16 years old and the MOT tester said the chassis is in better condition than some cars less than half it's age, just advised me to get it waxoyled so it stays that way and sort the rear arch out... not even any other advisories :)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
nice to see its all easy bits, would you not be better buying decent brand part worns, then new budgets?

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn right, went in wondering how much welding it'll need doing, and then the words you want to hear when the mechanic is smacking around under the car 'Solid as a rock that!' :)

I'll be treating the old gal to some part worn Proxes on Monday, was going to buy them brand new but Stewart the mechanic there, who's also a mate of mine has some off his Golf that he took off because he didn't like them. Costing me £25 a corner, was going to buy new, but at that price and with the tyres being 4 months old and covered less than 400 miles... I don't see no sence in it really.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good stuff. Makes up (a little bit at least) for the crap you had to deal with the other day eh?

:beer:
It certainly does Steve. And I suppose if there's a plus to it all, it's an excuse to put some PROPER tyres on it anyway :)

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kinda proves my effort really when I go to the jetwash and get down on my knees and jetwash all underneath the car to wash all the mud and grime off. The amount of people who look gone out at me.... makes it worth while in the end :lmao:

·
Degenerated!!
2,540 Posts
****, Dude.

If I had known about the tyres I would of scrapped them and sold the alloys separately. I'm sorry and I do feel a bit of cnut about it atm.

At least the rest of it isn't too bad :cool:

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
****, Dude.

If I had known about the tyres I would of scrapped them and sold the alloys separately. I'm sorry and I do feel a bit of cnut about it atm.

At least the rest of it isn't too bad :cool:
No worries dude, you didn't notice any defects, and neither did I when I seen them either.

Just one of them things mate.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've always viewed them as you get what you pay for, but to go like that, all 4 of them, after less than 1500 miles... that's just appauling tbh.

I dunno how much they would have cost originally, but whatever it was it was too much, should atleast have some kind of quality control in the materials you would have thought.

C'est la vie though, I'd be fuming if my car failed on various bits that would have cost a fortune, but it's been more than excellent really as far as that's concirned, and atleast I'll get some decent proxes out of it.

·
Yawn.
13,796 Posts
Yeah, good things come out of it int he end!

My Budgets were probably just as worn, i wouldnt say they had done much more miles than 1500 either, and then one blew.

my old opinion was 'tyres are tyres', but not now.

Proxes will be good :cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts