Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so let me preface this post by saying that I have already booked the car into the garage to be checked out. However I want to try and get a feel for the likely causes of the current problems we are having.

So just over a month ago, we had our exhaust replaced and had a check engine light come on shortly after, more details on that here

However, since that we have discovered a worry problem of multiple warning lights coming on shortly after start. These consist of all lights connected with traction control, ABS, stability control etc...

We did take it to the garage at the time, they connected it to diagnostics, cleared the error and took it out for a run and no errors occurred again, but since that the multiple warnings comes on almost every time the car is in use but not always immediately, it tends to be once the car has been in use for a bit.

We have also noticed that when this does happen, the speedo is behaving erratically as it flicks between the true speed and a good 30mph lower.

My wife has also complained of hearing a crunching noise coming from the brake, which according to the garage sounds very much like the ABS activating.

Lastly we also noticed last night when reversing into our drive that the headlights appearing to be dimming a little, almost like when the batteries in a torch are going but much, much more subtle.

Now on the face of it, this seems like multiple problems occurring at once, such as faulty alternator/battery for the lights issue, but I can’t help fee it is too coincidental that it all happened after the MOT/service and exhaust replacement. As the car seems to be performing as normal, albeit no emergency braking has been done, is it likely to be some sort of central electrical fault?

I also noticed on checking the engine compartment that the battery terminals appears to be wet

·
Worn Out Member
5,515 Posts
There's a technical service bulletin on what sounds possibly like your problem,(battery earth cable causing multiple faults in ABS,IPC,EPS etc)
if it's going into a dealer you may get it done under warranty quote TSB 3179 if they don't play ball

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s not going into a dealer unfortunately because it is well out of warranty and the main dealer charges obscene amounts for repairs.

The garage I am taking it to are reasonably trustworthy so it maybe I will need to have a word with the main dealer after my garage has checked it out

·
Worn Out Member
5,515 Posts
Get your garage to load up the electrics
Leave engine on idle speed and switch on electrical consumers like: head and fog lamps, rear window
heating, seat heating etc. Move steering wheel to left or right end position and hold it. Check the
temperature of both battery clamps at crimped area to cable. If the negative cable crimp is getting much
warmer compare to the positive cable crimp the battery ground cable has to be replaced.

·
Worn Out Member
5,515 Posts
The procedure i posted is pretty much it tbh

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Had the car in the garage today and they said it was spewing out a ream of errors but the most concerning (their words) was indication of a faulty wheel speed sensor on the front drivers side. Replacement has been ordered and this will be fixed next week.

The question I have is, is it likely a faulty sensor would cause problems with the speedo in addition to the other warnings?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Omg I have the same car and having all these exact same problems. I’ve been in and out of garages since March this year. Had both my hubs/wheel sensors replaced. My ECU sent off to rile our any faults and still no further on. My break always crunching. Speedo up and down and also radio volume. I have another post going so Vale led me to this one. Hope you get sorted. I’ll follow your post. My car is now been stripped down to check all wiring!!!!! I feel like burning it ha!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Omg I have the same car and having all these exact same problems. I’ve been in and out of garages since March this year. Had both my hubs/wheel sensors replaced. My ECU sent off to rile our any faults and still no further on. My break always crunching. Speedo up and down and also radio volume. I have another post going so Vale led me to this one. Hope you get sorted. I’ll follow your post. My car is now been stripped down to check all wiring!!!!! I feel like burning it ha!!
HI did you manage to resolve this?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts