Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cry:hi guys i DESPERATLY need some help, My cavalier which is a great car has now started to cut out whilst driving it sometimes sounds like back fire through the air intake box when it cuts out. Its had a replacment iac valve about 2-2 1/2 years ago i have had a look at it aand cant see much wrong with it well i think its ok i aint no mecanic lol, could some one please help me does any one know if the cavalier has a diagnostic plug on it My cavalier is a 1995 Mreg registered 24/04/1995 its only done 61000 miles from new If you could help me on this i would be so greatfull.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Cavaliers diagnostic plug is just behind the passenger side strut turret.
You can search the forum fot code flashing if you have an eml on the instrument panel.

Sounds like ICV or related.
Is it an 8valve or 16v engine?

More information would be better thanks.

Last service?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the last service was about 4 months ago which i did oil n oil filter plugs leads air filter.
i forgot to ask what type of diagnostic plug is it? and do you have a picture of it
?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
its a 16v ecotec engine and yes every time it cuts out the engine managment light comes on and once i have turned the ignition off then on to start its gone out

the last service was about 4 months ago which i did oil n oil filter plugs leads air filter.
i forgot to ask what type of diagnostic plug is it? and do you have a picture of it
?
I don't have a picture, but if you search the forum for "code flashing" it should bring up a thread on how to flash out stored codes and gives a list of what the codes mean.

Sounds like ICV or Cam sensor to me though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi envoy cdx do you know were i can find my engine code?
and could my engine code be X20XEVas if i need to buy a cam shaft sensor i will need the correct engine number as i can get a genuine siemens sensor from vauxhall parts warehouse on ebay for £16 can you help thx

·
"Below!"
1,144 Posts
hi envoy cdx do you know were i can find my engine code?
and could my engine code be X20XEVas if i need to buy a cam shaft sensor i will need the correct engine number as i can get a genuine siemens sensor from vauxhall parts warehouse on ebay for £16 can you help thx
Yep, the 2.0 ecotec is an x20xev.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes its an X20XEV,have you done a code read on it?even if it throws up camshaft sensor fault code it dosnt necessarily mean it needs a new camshaft sensor.I'd recommend that you take the icv off and clean it,and the breather pipes and throttlebody airways thoroughly.Theres a "how to" on this here iirc.

Do this before you even think about replacing any sensors.

If you still have the problem,do a code read and then take it from there.

·
Gagged
1,478 Posts
Yes its an X20XEV,have you done a code read on it?even if it throws up camshaft sensor fault code it dosnt necessarily mean it needs a new camshaft sensor.I'd recommend that you take the icv off and clean it,and the breather pipes and throttlebody airways thoroughly.Theres a "how to" on this here iirc.

Do this before you even think about replacing any sensors.

If you still have the problem,do a code read and then take it from there.
As above, clean out the idle control valve and the throttle body.
Then if you still have a light coming on check the eml codes. there is a good how too on the site here.

Im going to hazard a guess at the crankshaft sensor because my cav used to do that but when you turned the engine off and on again it would be fine.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I have had a 1995 Cavalier manual CDX x20xev since 2003.

Sudden stopping of the engine but fine when re-started, was the crank sensor. Happened in 2003 not had fault return after changing crank sensor in 2003. No code at the time for the crank sensor fault.

Careful - In 2003 the crank sensor on the x20xev cavalier (seimens simtec 56.1 sotfware) was somehow a very different part number to the crank sensor on the 1995/1996 x20xev vectra B (siemens simtec 56.5 software). And cav drivers given a vectra crank sensor in error, had gremlins and costs working out the weird electrical goings on.

If the car stalls it can throw up any of the cam sensor, crank sensor or MAF code just from the stall.

The other two times it died, it was O2 sensor going completely, but left a double code too high/too low. The other time the back box exhaust baffles came loose inside a seemingly rust free back box, and moves around to block the exhaust flow intermitently and stopping the car.

Every so often a quirk of these early x20xev in cavs and vectra B, is that the direction of the cam sensor wire out of the rocker box can need a touch/re-angle to stop a cam sensor code.

Getting use to using the ecu socket is simple but essential on these. as they are prone throw up lots of dummy codes, (lack VX ordering siemens design software updates) and you waste loads going to garages.

I use the simple draper code reader (search 'draper code reader' ebay) (which is only a plug for the socket to join the two corner wires on the plug, and an on and off switch) as it saves the risk of feeding the live connecton back into the ecu and blowing it. It is a ten pin plug/two wires on corner. The sixteen wire plug is the vectra x20xev)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've got the exact same car as you and had the same problem too. What I did was take the cam sensor off and give it a good squirt of wd40 to get rid of all the gunk. Haven't had the misfire since. The IAC is also very easy to do and worth looking at.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hi thank you for all your help i have sorted it it was the IAC valve gave it a good clean with brake cleaner and WD40 wand worked ok for a few months now its started again so i brought a new IAC valve and replaced on taking the old one off i have noticed excess oil in the old IAC valve can you tell me if this is down to blocked oil breather pipes and if so how do i clean them and are they easy to do.
p.s i kept my old IAC valve and gave it a good cleaning soked it in brake cleaner and WD40 as a back up just in case
any help would be most greatful
thank you again for all your info

adrian

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Have you fitted the breather box mod? you can tell if the car has it as instead of just a hose coming out of the front of the cam cover, there will be a black box with gauze inside. If you don't have it, go to Vauxhall and ask for one, easy to fit and well worth doing, best to clean out everything breather wise at the same time to start afresh. Gaz. p.s. be very thorough when cleaning all the breathers and it will pay dividends.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Gazza36
not sure is the part you are on about fit between the air box and the pipe that goes to the throttle body and has a smaller pipe coming of that to the rocker cover,is it the part that has a electrical connector going to it if so then my car has one fitted

thanks
adrian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi thanks for the link i had a look at the pic and i dont have one fitted can you tell me were i get one from and how much do they cost,and is that the right name for them (flame trap)?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.