Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,

i have a corsa d 1.2 2012 with 59k on the clock ...

? is this right in the car only doing 26 mpg around town.....i put a new bosch air filter and pollem filter in last week as it went down to 18mpg and the old filter was right bad dirty .. VX says the car should do 54mpg ?

26mpg is crap ..i may as well get a truck lol
20200114_101209.jpg

cheers for any info

·
Registered
193 Posts
Engine type would help a lot.
But things to check are MAP/MAF, air intake for leaks, fuel trim, lambda sensor.
Live data from the ECU when engine running, fault codes.
If you don't have a clue what I'm on about, don't worry we are here to help. Just ask

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

·
Worn Out Member
5,119 Posts
Probably best to confirm the actual mpg rather than take the computers word for it,
top up to brim,reset your tripmeter,do a few hunded miles,top up to brim again then work out the mpg with a calculator

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
As Valer has pointed out, best to do 3 manual tank reads first. I average 45mpg from my Astra (mixed driving), town only can drop to 30 and less if stuck in traffic.
Also check all your tyres are running at the correct pressures.

·
Super Moderator
11,740 Posts
Hi all ,

i have a corsa d 1.2 2012 with 59k on the clock ...

? is this right in the car only doing 26 mpg around town.....i put a new bosch air filter and pollem filter in last week as it went down to 18mpg and the old filter was right bad dirty .. VX says the car should do 54mpg ?

26mpg is crap ..i may as well get a truck lol View attachment 90338

cheers for any info

ya be worse off getting a truck, they do about 10 mpg 😲un laden

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When i got the car it did say it was doing 33mpg ..then it went down over like a week or so to 18mpg ...so i cleaned the Air box out and put a new filter in ..then it went back up to this 26mpg ...the thing is the car is running fine other then this computer reading...

the cars also had a oil filter and oil about a month or two ago...

? i was going to fit new plugs and see if that helps ...

I cant fill the tank as i don't use the car much..only for shopping like...

It may need a good run now i changed the filter ?...

I will put a pic of the Air filter so you can see how dirty it was ...never had a filter this bad in a car before...

20191231_145811.jpg 20191231_145829.jpg 20191231_145759.jpg 20191231_145817.jpg 20200108_151627.jpg 20200108_151655.jpg
Last two are the pollen filter and that's black

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Engine type would help a lot.
But things to check are MAP/MAF, air intake for leaks, fuel trim, lambda sensor.
Live data from the ECU when engine running, fault codes.
If you don't have a clue what I'm on about, don't worry we are here to help. Just ask

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
All i know is the engine is a 1.2 ecoflex with the start stop crap and i always switch that off as that makes the battery go down ...
No codes on the dash and car starts and runs , drives fine ...

Don't think there's any leaks in the air intake but i'll have to have a look at that when i get chance...

I could get some spray take the MAF off and give it a good clean ..do you think it would help much ?

cheers for help all

·
Premium Member
1,947 Posts
If you are only doing short runs, the mpg will be low.
The reading when you first got the car would have been the average from the previous owner, not what you were actually getting. The computer only guestimates the average anyway, it's never accurate.
As I said earlier, don't believe the computer, the only way to get a true consumption is as stated by Valer & Boroboy, filling the tank, zero the trip meter, use the fuel then calculate the actual consumption.
You say that you only use the car for shopping, so how does this stop you filling the car up to check the fuel consumption properly?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are only doing short runs, the mpg will be low.
The reading when you first got the car would have been the average from the previous owner, not what you were actually getting. The computer only guestimates the average anyway, it's never accurate.
As I said earlier, don't believe the computer, the only way to get a true consumption is as stated by Valer & Boroboy, filling the tank, zero the trip meter, use the fuel then calculate the actual consumption.
You say that you only use the car for shopping, so how does this stop you filling the car up to check the fuel consumption properly?

Take me to long to use a a full tank lol ... ? do you recon cleaning the MAF would help ..or fitting new plugs

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd start off with the basic stuff first, decent full service inc plugs and air filter. Check tyre pressures too. Go from there.
Well mate it only needs new plugs now and it's had a full service ...the plugs in it have dune just under 60k but having a read up most say changing them will not make much difference to the mpg ....

Looking at that air filter that came out there's a good chance the MAF is dirty ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The tyre pressure seems fine when diving the car over speed humps and that and should be all round 30 or 32psi ...
i was thinking this the other day but never got round to checking them ...

soon as we got a dry day i'll go round and check them all

·
Super Moderator
25,333 Posts
These are quite heavy cars for a 1.2 petrol engine so the fuel economy is never going to be great.
Our 1.7 cdti 130 bhp Corsa D only managed around 50 mpg in the 3 years we owned it.
I’d expect around 34 mpg on average.
The 1.4 petrol is best of the normally aspirated petrol engines for economy our old Astra h 1.4 regularly got close to 40 mpg.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
60k from a set of plugs is a lot, they can make a big difference to the running of your car.
Yeah but there's no real evidence new plugs make that big of a difference ...i have lots of cars over the years and all with the same plugs in till i got rid of them ..car before this was a 1.2 corsa c 51reg with 68k on the clock ...had that car for 9 years and that was brilliant of gas ..miles better then this corsa d ...

had 2L's and 1.6's miles better then this corsa d ...

be the last corsa i get this one... Fords a better dive anyway

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hear you go for anyone who want to know ...

cleaned the MAF today an reset it to 0... went around the block twice so about 4 mile..
seen the mpg gauge going up pretty fast as i was driving the car around....

from 26.4 to 32.8

it's not brill but it's more then it was and still could go up some more yet ...

so cleaning the MAF dose work and it's a easy job to do ....

1.jpg

1 - 20 of 21 Posts