Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-I’m new to the site and hoping someone can be of some help please.
I’ve a 2007 Movano 2.5 cdti.
The idler pulley was shot so took off belt and pulley and have ordered new idler. Did a quick inspection of other pulleys and have got movement in my crank pulley. Not in the metal face part but the ribbed wheel behind.
It’s not a massive amount of movement but should there be any at all.
Don’t know if I need to be changing it or if a little movement is normal?
Would greatly appreciate any advice .

·
Registered
287 Posts
How many miles it done???

It has tension pulling on it all it’s life, so a little play will be normal.

I would replace it if it’s easy to get to and replace well it’s all apart, if you got a new belt and water pump kit may as well do them well your there. Can only last longer than what’s there haah

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How many miles it done???

It has tension pulling on it all it’s life, so a little play will be normal.

I would replace it if it’s easy to get to and replace well it’s all apart, if you got a new belt and water pump kit may as well do them well your there. Can only last longer than what’s there haah

Hey Roofline-thanks!it’s done 194k. Still runs great though. Pump and belt were done 40k back so should be good and I take your point about the pulley but I’d rather not unless It’s knackered-those bolts can be a nightmare to get off.
I’m thinking because the metal front plate of the pulley is still solid-could the rear grooved wheel be mounted on any kind of rubber which allows for some movement?
See if anyone knows. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,995 Posts
Not sure about your lump but the crank pulley acts as a vibration damper and has a rubber centre core on some . Probably is knackered ;) as said while it's in bits

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah you’re right guys- while I’m working on it I should just replace it to save any trouble. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
287 Posts
@194k and most probably still original I really would change it, nothing worse than doing all this work then a month or two later needing a new engine as the pully lost some tension causing belt to slip and break everything, or it might last another 100k but what gamble would you rather take ? The chance it might go or the comfort of knowing it will do another 100k

1 - 6 of 6 Posts