Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Well, dropped the Omega in for it's MOT today, really not looking forward to it, as I generally detest MOT's. Have recently replaced the front wishbones and drop links, HT leads, etc etc etc, all tyres are good, no undue knocks or groans. Possible failures I can see are as follows....

Exhaust back box and/or mid-sections
Track rod (nearside)

Any other common failures for the a 1997 2.5 CDX I should look out for?

Cheers,

James.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CHeers lads,

Well, disks and pads all seem pretty good, and the front disks are very new indeed......I just hate MOT's to be honest.

James.

·
Banned
221 Posts
Good luck with the test mate.
As we say up here MOT time = arse tweeking time.
It all depends on which side of the bed the tester got out of this morning.
I have the same horrible feeling when mine was MOT'd a couple of weeks ago. It dosen't matter how much you have done to prepare for the test, your always trying to imagine what you missed.
Ross

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello,

Just had a call from the garage, they won't even MOT the car!!!!!

Here are the reasons listed.

1 - Drivers side headlight is full of water
2 - Exhaust centre sections are heavily corroded and need replacement

They also noted that one of the wishbone bolts was very loose, which is a big suprise to me, as I tighted them up.

Their not charging me anything, but I feel really stupid, as I thought I had checked and double checked that bloody bolt. The way in which the woman delivered the news was almost patronising. This is the reason I hate MOT's. The garage tends to hate people that do their own work, and have a hobby which involves something they like to make money off of.

Sometimes wonder if I should honestly bother!!!!

James.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Omega and my 200sx are both being MOT'd today (if the garage can fit them in).

Fingers crossed for two clean sheets!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Vectrolosys said:
Hello,

Just had a call from the garage, they won't even MOT the car!!!!!

Here are the reasons listed.

1 - Drivers side headlight is full of water
2 - Exhaust centre sections are heavily corroded and need replacement

They also noted that one of the wishbone bolts was very loose, which is a big suprise to me, as I tighted them up.

Their not charging me anything, but I feel really stupid, as I thought I had checked and double checked that bloody bolt. The way in which the woman delivered the news was almost patronising. This is the reason I hate MOT's. The garage tends to hate people that do their own work, and have a hobby which involves something they like to make money off of.

Sometimes wonder if I should honestly bother!!!!

James.
Look on the bright side (no pun intended with your headlight) at least they aren't charging you anything. Wonder if the headlight is full of water or just misted up on the inside of the glass???? Lesson 1 drive to the testing station with headlights on ;) If the exhaust isn't blowing can they fail it for heavy corrosion? if they can why can they as long as its working??? As for the wishbone bolt.....sorry James it's not be funny but after watching the fun you had changing hte passenger side one I just have to laugh.

On a side note which Garage was it? Most would have charged you for the pleasure of telling you it failed.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello,

I thought it was just misted up, so I drove there with the headlights on. The garage is Terminus, in Westbury on Trym. Hats off to them for not charging me anything, and highlighting the faults before even starting, but I won't be going back, simply because I am not overly happy with their attitude, it's like walking in a pub you've never been in and having the music stop, and darts stop in mid air style scenario.

Still, not to worry. I'll get it home, tighten the bolt (that vertical one of all bolts!!) and book it in again somewhere else.

God I hate MOT's.

James.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My Omega failed,

Both headlights have clouded lenses affecting the beam pattern
Both wishbones need the inner bushes replacing.

Might just scrap the car, I'm not sure if it's worth spending the money on it.

R

·
0 Posts
Hi James

Firstly, sorry you have been bitten by the MoT gits. But in real terms, there is next to nothing wrong.

OK, headlamp. Take the bulbs out and use a hair drier from behind, on LOW heat. Just dry it up.

Wishbone bolt, in a way lucky they found that. The old 'what if' springs to mind here. Tighten that mother up.

Lastly, exhaust. Mmmm. My understanding is that it must function, not leak and must be intact. So, unless it has holes or makes noise, I don't quite know what they are on about. 2 options, change the boxes or paint the boxes with heatproof aluminium paint.

If their list is exhaustive (pardon the pun) then take it back with new exhausts and enjoy your new MoT. If that was just a guide, I would take it somewhere else with the headlight done and the wishbone tight and see what happens. If they also don't like the exaust, then fit a new one and go back for the free re-test. (make sure they do a free ret-test!)

Hope this helps, but not so bad mate. :Cool2:

·
Registered
144 Posts
James,

Sorry to hear about your MOT situation - I know what you mean about MOT tests, I have to take 5 vehicles a year and each test is worse that a driving test or visiting to dentist!

Anyway, regarding the exhaust, it has to be in a fit condition BOTH at the time of the test and, in the opinion of the tester, for a "reasonable period" following the test. Therefore, if the tester thinks that as soon as you drive out of the station the exhaust will fail, then he will not pass it.

As I say, sorry to hear about the situation.

As RonaldMcBurger says above, the hair drier method will work well, I have used this method myself in the past.

As others have said, it could be worse.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Finlay,

As normal your advice is cool and collected, and has put things into perspective :).

Was thinking about the headlight trick, as it only occured recently, which leads me to think it's very recent.

Wishbone bolt, very very luck I feel. As soon as I get home tonight, I'll tighten it up.

I think I'll take your advice on the exhaust, and just book it in elsewhere and let them fail it so to speak.....

Thanks again, you've made me feel quite a bit better about the whole experience :).

James.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
f1ack2 said:
My Omega failed,

Both headlights have clouded lenses affecting the beam pattern
Both wishbones need the inner bushes replacing.

Might just scrap the car, I'm not sure if it's worth spending the money on it.
Hello,

No need to scrap it.

Wishbones, easy to do.....headlights, theres loads on ebay atm at reasonable prices. If that's all it failed on, then that's not all that bad.

Wishbones are cheap enough off ebay as well, where in the country are you, are you near the Bristol area?

James.

·
Registered
15 Posts
After I bought my Omega I had it for two weeks before taxing it. I own a garage and so had it vetted and serviced before the MOT. We found an oil leak from the front of the crankshaft so replaced the seal, cambelt and fanbelt at the same time. We then replaced the wishbones on both sides as the joints were u/s and the off side track rod end, then the front disc pads. I also put on a complete new set of tyres.

We then put iy on thr brake tester and the brakes passed with flying colours. It also passed the MOT.

Once on the road I was not satisfied with the performance of the brakes as the car vibrated on light braking. Upon inspection we decided to replace the front discs and new pads. On the road test there was still some vibration so we replaced the rear discs and new pads as well.

This resulted in the car performing faultlessly and the brakes pull up very quickly. It could be very embarrasing to anyone following too closely behind if you have to put them on rather hard.

Just thought I would let you know about these bits that I have done. It should be OK for a year on the road. It is a '99 CDX manual by the way with 99000 miles on the clock - about average for this year it seems.

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
well i wouldn`t refuse to test the car unless it had a nasty oil or fuel leak , when i get one with a misted headlight i pop the cover off the back & switch the lights on before i even start the test so that the light can dry itself out enough for the beam pattern / adjustment check& as for the exhaust , if its not blowing excessively & or hanging off it should pass .

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hello,

Good stuff, did you go for the whole wishbone, or just the bushes?

James.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts