Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm retired & the kids have left home I don't use my Vectra 2.2 SRI much, I should do the sensible thing & get a Fiesta or something but I'm used to family sized cars.
I only use a motorway about once a month, bit more during the summer for days out/weekends away, about £8k is my limit & like to buy cars with under 40,000 miles, so should I buy a Mondeo or Insignia, most seem to be diesel but should I seek out a petrol?

·
Premium Member
13,473 Posts
It's mainly the higher mileage diesels people have issues with on the Insignia's, under 100k most Ok, I've owned three of the same type 2.0cdti engines within Astra J's without any issues. The 1.8 petrols seem reliable if looked after. Then there's the 1.4t petrol too.
For the mileage you are doing, I'd keep off diesels (Ford or Vaux). The 1.8 petrol insignia is a bit gutless. The 1.4t would be better.
I don't think a low mileage Insignia 2.0cdti would be a bad buy, if you use the dpf equipped engine correctly.

·
Super Moderator
25,576 Posts
The Ford Mondeo has it’s reliability issues we’ve only got one left on our taxi rank , bizarrely we’ve got 4 Insignia on our taxi rank , one owner spent £7000 on his 64 plate last month & was off the road for 22 days in total last month .
Go for a VW Passat.

·
Premium Member
13,473 Posts
The Ford Mondeo has it’s reliability issues we’ve only got one left on our taxi rank , bizarrely we’ve got 4 Insignia on our taxi rank , one owner spent £7000 on his 64 plate last month & was off the road for 22 days in total last month .
Go for a VW Passat.
VW's must regen in the same way as Vauxhalls, as I have a neighbour that owns a Passat and a golf, both diesels used for short trips.
They're always cutting regens short on their drives, as I often hear their under bonnet fans come on, after they've turned off their engines😂
No idea why you'd choose an dpf equipped diesel if you are mainly covering short journies.

·
12,026 Posts
Ignorance, simple as that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts