Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Bit pricey??

I think £400 is a damn good price for it!
Alas I could never justify something that good in my car. :(

Now Laura, you could... ;)

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it is tempting........

but i am up to my eyeballs in fiberglass as the boot is put together and at this stage if i start to think about the install i will burn it!!!!!!!! as it is getting progressivly to be a pain in the asss

·
Registered
62 Posts
It is a bit pricey when they only cost $750 from the manufacturer - one of the guys in the peugeot autosport club has got 3 butler amps in his 406 coupe, Butler delivered to this country for approx $250 air freight - and customs never taxed him for it

·
Registered
62 Posts
He lives in Glasgow, and over the years has had pretty much everything nicked from his car including some little scrote nicking an entire ecosse bodykit while he was at work - so now he's a little bit security conscious :lmao: :lmao:

L

·
0 Posts
I know of quite a few valve amps you can get for cars (all VERY expensive!)

I do wonder how they manage any degree of longevity in that environment though, and meant to ask you about it. :)

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Can't beat valves amps for quality sound!

As Dave says.... how well do they stand up to being driven around, especially in lowered cars?

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
TheMorphiuz said:
Can't beat valves amps for quality sound!
You can't beat valve amps for a warm sound, sound quality doesn't come into it, they add shed loads of even harmonic distortion (hence why they sound warm) and so do not produce a quality output.

I once built a lovely Mosfet amp, nice flat response and low distortion etc and then added a single small vale pre-amp stage to it. It sounded just like a valve amp but was a lot more rugged. It always seemed a shame to have a fantastic Mosfet amp being driven with a distorted signal though....

The trouble with valves is that being a mechanical construction they are prone to vibration, this is a problem when you consider that sound waves are all about vibrations!

Put it in a car and it would be worse..!

Got to say, I am realy enjoying the discussions on here at the mo....

L

·
0 Posts
Marks DTM Calib said:
Got to say, I am realy enjoying the discussions on here at the mo....
Good to see you in here more.

Just don't forget about the Omega section! ;)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Laura, get on with that glassing and get off Ebay! You don't need it!

I'm not convinced about 'Tube Amps' in cars.

They seem to perform best in the mid to high frequency range and so are used in top multi-amp, active systems, incorporating standard 'transistor' amps also. May not be at their best as single amp system.

They cannot be suited to the harsh, jarring environment of a car?

There is a certain amount of un-warranted 'snob value' associated with them. A bit like the old "I've got £100 phono leads" argument. If you've spent that much, it WILL sound better.
(I'm not saying that quality interconnect is not important however).

I love the sound of valve amps, but in a proper home auditorium.

Two Quad IIs with original KT66 output valves and a set of electrostatic speakers is what I call smooth.

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Hillper, don't forget there is a big difference between a quality amp and one that sounds good....a valve amp adds mega distortion so sounds warm, it doesn't produce a quailty output though.

I used to find that most people could not cope with the a good Class A amp with flat frequency response, you had to tune it to make it acceptable.

Interestingly, Pioneer seem to tune theres a lot, Sony dont, Technics add extra C's to enhance the Bass and so on...

...its all market driven.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Indeed Mark. In the eighties, the Japanese amps all had incredible performance and distortion figures, but sounded lifeless.

So the moral is. Don't go by specs. only. Use you ears!

·
Registered
155 Posts
japcav said:
yes it is tempting........

but i am up to my eyeballs in fiberglass as the boot is put together and at this stage if i start to think about the install i will burn it!!!!!!!! as it is getting progressivly to be a pain in the asss
Laura keep up the good work if you ever think of competing in IASCA sound quality competitions, a second white cav would give the judges nightmares, as for valve amps they seem to be making a bit of a comeback.

My sponsors DLS are producing a limited run of 500 4 channel and 2 channel valve amplifers for their team competion cars throughout the world. I have my name down for 2.:lmao: The feed back we are getting at the minute is that they are supposed to sound pretty awesome. I will post some pics of the car and install for you.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:wub:

STUNNING

what more can i say.........

very good amps fab install..... sooooo clean and tidy

what sort of readings have you got from your install and where will you be competing this year??

thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts