Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for a 1.4 8-valve Mk3 Astra to purchase ASAP and I'd appreciate some advice on what to look for with regard to common faults, etc.

It'll be a 1.4i 8-valve (82bhp?) Probably a GLS
PAS, maybe ABS/alloys.

Any common rust spots other than the rear arches?
Anything else that tends to fail on the Mk3 Astra?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just paid 1300 for a 1.4 8v, it is spotless though and i do mean spotless, inside and out.

Not too sure what to look for, i took my cousin cause hes a vauxhall machanic.

All i need is a new cambelt (to be safe rather than sorry) and hes fitting it for £15!

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fair enough!

what mileage is it? mine's coming up to 80k and i'm willing to bet the previous owners hasn't changed the cam belt.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I bought one of these 4 years ago. Rest assured it's the most reliable car I've ever had. The rotor cap, a driveshaft and the ARB links needed replacing through wear and that was all (in 4 years).
Look out for rust on the arches ... and that's about it. Get the multipoint injection though, SPi's are slow and not as fuel efficient.
I've still got mine in storage, can't bare to part with it. It was 'modified' briefly, but am returning it to it's standard glory this summer.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Dont really no any common faults, although I used to own a L reg 1.4 8v merit and it was a very good car, reliable as feck even tho it took the beating of a life time off me and my cousin still has it now, had 115k on the clock last time i were in it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts