Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2000 model Mk 4 Astra 1.4 16V. Its recently developed a fault when starting cold.
It runs rough as if misfiring until its idled for a few seconds or I rev it for a bit.
There is no light on the dash and I have cleaned the plugs.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
welcome to VxON,

does it act asif it wants to stall and needs revs to keep it going or just the odd misfire?

:up:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did a service today which included plugs, filters etc. I cleaned the throttle body, checked the operation of the EGR valve which seemed fine. I used a new gasket on that. I checked all hoses, none had any splits. It still does the funny start thing. I am at such a loss now...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Um, I know you said that there is no EM light on but it may be worth trying to see if there is anything stored in the ECU anyway. The reason I say this is there is a headline thread titled "Astra MK4 Poor Idle, Hesitation & Cutting Out Help Thread" which suggests that codes sometime get logged without actually showing up on the dash. The answer may well be in your ECU. There are various e-mails on how to read the codes yourself, if you have the right number of pins on the diagnostic connection and if your particular model allows it (AndyR is a bit of a guru with this stuff I think) otherwise you may be able to find someone who has a Tech1 or 2 unit who can read them for you or you can bite the bullet and ask a garage.... either way, it's worth a go.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, thanks for the reply, I flashed the codes and using this site I decoded the following:

0105 - Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor
1405 - EGR
0443 - ?
0120 - Throttle Potentiometer - This I left disconnected once after cleaning it so I think thats how it recorded fault.

My questions are this:

Whats code 0443? If I replace any of the items listed, does that clear the fault? If not, how can I clear it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
try the coil pack........this is usually how they start to go and get steadily worse untill one day they will not work again.

also coil pack faults do not always log on ecu depending on verson of software.

egr fault etc maybe caused by unburt fuel etc being detected by lambada sensor and ecu trying to correct by opening the egr valve, constant bad readings make the ecu think the egr is faulty.......

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Head Gasket?

Hi - I tried another coil but the one I borrowed was faulty so that didn't help. I had an idea and took the plugs out, peered down each plug hole to see #4 had a small amout of clear liquid in it. It was just a small puddle but enough to move when I bounced the car...

I guess this can only mean one thing....Head Gasket....

I was thinking about the water jacket on the inlet manifold maybe leaking water into #4 that way but I think I was just being hopeful!

Anyone ever done a HG on a MK4? I have good mechanical sense and patience - just gotta find a torque wrench.

It's on 114K so I thought I might aswell fully refurb the head ie decoke, skim, new valve rubbers etc...I did it on a K16 Rover Engine once before and it actually went pretty well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was my head gasket

First time I have ever done this on my own! I removed everything and finally got to the head. "I know what I am doing..." I kept saying to myself!

I got down to the gasket and found a lovely channel in the gasket between water jacket and #4 cylinder. Anyway, I am gonna pay £160 to have the head refurbed...skim, decoke, cut seats, lap valved, new stem seals and then it's all back together and fingers crossed for the start-up!

I will let you know how I get on!

Dean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts