Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, I am getting on with the years and no longer as handy with the spanner as I once used to be, but I can still read (with spectacle, as of very recently). So here are some (unrelated) snippets from the Service Booklet, which we all have but don’t normally read.

Firstly to Auto Addict and 2.2CDX, from page 28 (Edition: October 2000):

‘…Furthermore, the body paintwork and the underbody corrosion protection must be visually inspected for damage as part of the regular annual service.

When performed in conjunction with a Service the anti-perforation inspection is not charged separately.

An anti-perforation inspection performed independently is subject to a charge’.

So every time you booked your car for Service with Vx dealer and got it back without the anti-perforation check stamped (and show me one dealer that does stamp these) – you’ve been short-changed, mate!

That’s a good case when complaining to Vauxhall saying that the dealers were negligent in not performing this mandatory free check!

Moving on to GeffD – page 8 - yes, you were correct about the quad-electrode spark plugs on the 2.6/3.2 – the service interval has been increased from 40k/4y to 80k/8y (I know LB, it should be 10k, just quoting the book…)

And now to TOM 140 - page 9 - Automatic Transmission Oil Change 60k/6y, but only ‘under extreme conditions’. Otherwise there is no mileage spec for changing transmission oil. BTW Haynes says 70k.

And for oil changes – as we all know Vx insists that the interval is 20k/1y, and say that if the vehicle is worked hard then the oil should changed more frequently – but only if it is semi-synth, if the oil is full-synth it is good for 20k even under harsh
conditions!

GeffD – what were they thinking? And didn’t someone in the engines plant stand up and say hey guys, if you run 20k between oil changes you will kill the engine?

Sorry for mixing various issues…

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I think its a lot to do with fleet cars, they work on cost per mile - so if it doesn't need servicing for 20k - what a big saving so we get the fleet orders.
i meen 80k for the sparkplugs - but they tend to work loose well before that.
You will also read in the book under Driving hints:
the first 600 miles /1000km
Drive your vehicle at various speeds. DO NOT USE FULL THROTTLE, NEVER ALLOW THE ENGINE TO LABOUR.

My old job was Durability testing, we would take a random engine off the production line, mount it on the rig with all the ancillaries, start it up wait untill the engine reached normal operating temp - run for 30 mins at max power 6200rpm - then peak torque 3400 for 30 mins then do a power curve - 1000rpm - 6200rpm at full throttle full load. then run a 2.5hr cycle of 5000,5200 and 5400rpm full throttle full load for 1000 miles. then another power curve which by then had improved.
That would be known as a production test which we had to do by law to check the power torque figures were correct. the oil/ filter would be changed / exhaust manifolds and it would be shipped out and go into a car.
and all manufactures do the same - anything over 1000 it couldn't be shipped - most test were 50k so were stripped measured and scrapped.

So what that manual is saying is :turd

markjay said:
OK guys, I am getting on with the years and no longer as handy with the spanner as I once used to be, but I can still read (with spectacle, as of very recently). So here are some (unrelated) snippets from the Service Booklet, which we all have but don’t normally read.

‘…Furthermore, the body paintwork and the underbody corrosion protection must be visually inspected for damage as part of the regular annual service.

When performed in conjunction with a Service the anti-perforation inspection is not charged separately.

So every time you booked your car for Service with Vx dealer and got it back without the anti-perforation check stamped (and show me one dealer that does stamp these) – you’ve been short-changed, mate!

That’s a good case when complaining to Vauxhall saying that the dealers were negligent in not performing this mandatory free check!

Moving on to GeffD – page 8 - yes, you were correct about the quad-electrode spark plugs on the 2.6/3.2 – the service interval has been increased from 40k/4y to 80k/8y (I know LB, it should be 10k, just quoting the book…)

And now to TOM 140 - page 9 - Automatic Transmission Oil Change 60k/6y, but only ‘under extreme conditions’. Otherwise there is no mileage spec for changing transmission oil. BTW Haynes says 70k.

And for oil changes – as we all know Vx insists that the interval is 20k/1y, and say that if the vehicle is worked hard then the oil should changed more frequently – but only if it is semi-synth, if the oil is full-synth it is good for 20k even under harsh
conditions!

GeffD – what were they thinking? And didn’t someone in the engines plant stand up and say hey guys, if you run 20k between oil changes you will kill the engine?

·
Registered
682 Posts
markjay said:

conditions!

As my old schoolteacher would say - Read, Marked, Learned and inwardly digested.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The service intervals are obviously stretched out as far as possible to make the car look attractive to fleet/lease buyers, particularly the expensive items like cam belt change. If you can push all these items back beyond the ownership period of the typical fleet buyer then the cars Total Cost of Ownership can look more attractive. The downside to this of course is that subsequent owners end up picking up the cost from over extended oil changes and cam belt failures. This is no problem for Vauxhall however as the warranty period is by then usually expired.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts