Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
oooooooppps's .... :)
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it posible to mill down the thicknes of a brake disk ( the face of it where the studs go though ) also dose any one else know what else i could mill of so i can fit my 18" wheels under the calibras arches ??

many thanx from matt :Cool2:

·
Dammit...driving the world's most boring car
2,244 Posts
All I'll say is you'd be mad to do it.

These are probably the most important devices on your car and you want to structurally compromise the fixing point.

It was designed, made & sold at that spec for a reason - they don't just whack on an extra bit of metal for the hell of it.

I KNOW it was fairly common to skim disks & drums in "the olden days" - but this was the working surface that is DESIGNED to wear to set tolerances.

Best not eh, no point in becoming an entry in "The Darwin Awards"!

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
and unless the 18's are waaaaay off on the offset.

e.g. if they were a 40 offset and you wanted totake the surface off the brake disc to get the offset down.

better just to get some wheels that fit ;)

for an 18 you dont want any wider than 7.5" and an offset any lower than about 42 i would say if you want a simple fit.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
I've been looking at getting some milled off the wheel to make them the right offset. Just waiting to find out how much it will cost.

·
4,289 Posts
or, you could not have it lowered by such an impractical amount?

i mean yeah a 30-40mm drop on a cav helps handling and makes it sit nice... but you must be down about 50-60 to have it sit like that? Ive driven cavs dropped that much and i just dont think it does the car any favours.

how wide are your 18's and what size tyres are you using?

if they are any wider than 7.5" with 215 tyres on them, and any more than a 49 offset or less than a 42 then your going to have a lot of problems, unless you get the arches rolled, and make sure nothing on the inside is fouling the tyres.

remember as well that just because its not rubbing when you turn the wheels stationary doesnt mean it wont rub in motion, the forces on a cars steering cause the wheels to move very differently during actual driving than when they are at a stand still.

·
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Roll the arches, or see about milling some off the wheels like I'm doing Matt.

Possibly even both, because that's tight!
ye think i might have to do both cuz the wheels dont look like they have much to mill in the first place lol

·
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
or, you could not have it lowered by such an impractical amount?

i mean yeah a 30-40mm drop on a cav helps handling and makes it sit nice... but you must be down about 50-60 to have it sit like that? Ive driven cavs dropped that much and i just dont think it does the car any favours.

how wide are your 18's and what size tyres are you using?

if they are any wider than 7.5" with 215 tyres on them, and any more than a 49 offset or less than a 42 then your going to have a lot of problems, unless you get the arches rolled, and make sure nothing on the inside is fouling the tyres.

remember as well that just because its not rubbing when you turn the wheels stationary doesnt mean it wont rub in motion, the forces on a cars steering cause the wheels to move very differently during actual driving than when they are at a stand still.
ye well the sprigs are a 35mm drop for a calibra but they drop a lil more on a calibra turbo lol but i will be hiering he front cuz it is nothing but hassel :shake

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
well seems to me thats the easiest way to make the wheels fit under the arches :D hehe

just raise it a bit.
yeah but what about when he's driving it and goes down a dip/round a bend/etc?
if they're going to touch down you need to do something about it and to be honest, by the look of that pic, they're going to be a lot more hassle than they're worth. think of it another way - add in the price to roll the arches then the price to mill the wheels (which isnt the best idea in the first place as its taking strength from the structure) and the cost of new springs.
then add up how much you'd lose by selling them and buying another set that fit?

·
4,289 Posts
i dont entirely get your point?

if a wheel is the right size, and matched up properly to the correct tyre, it need be no bigger at all than the original 15" wheels, unless of course matt is running some 18's that are waaaay too wide etc, e.g. 8" width and 38 offset wouldnt be a good plan at all.

I think people constantly forget that when you increase the size of an alloy the tyre profile will be changed to account for this, and the end result is a wheel of almost identical size to the original.

The only problems come when people try to put much wider wheels and tyres on the car than it was designed for and combine it with lowering a car below factory standard. But as long as tyre width does not exceed 205/215 and the offset is as close as possible to 49 then all would be well.

a 205/40/18 tyre is only 1% different from the original radius of the calibra setup, and has a tyre no wider than that found on a cav GSI. A 205 wide tyre will be fine on any wheel up to about 7.5" wide without looking too daft.

So he shouldnt run into problems if he puts the car a little higher and runs a wheel that is as close as possible to the original specs.

out of interest Matt, how wide are your 18's what are their offset and what tyre size do you plan to use?

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
i was trying to say that if its hitting the arch/inner wing/etc then raising the front wont make a difference to that. it'll just put it off a little until he's used up the extra suspension travel and it'll still hit.
thats why i think it would be cheaper and easier to swap them for a set that would fit (as you just mentioned).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts