Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

How important is the mileage to you when buying a car or an engine?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When buying a car (or an engine), how important is the mileage figure to you?

I personally wouldn't buy anything that's done more than 70k even if it has a full service history.

·
Premium Member
17,488 Posts
Mileage doesn't worry me to be honest... Nic when you went out in mine would you have thought it had 147,000 on the clock ?

Another thing that bugs me is when people say "It's got FSH upto 2 years ago", I don't care about that I would rather have no history up until 2 years ago then the service history from then on. I think people get too hooked on FSH etc, when its only RECENT service history that really matters.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
a high milage car as in motorway miles is generally in better nick than low mileage ones tbh...

in this day and age mileage isnt a big a issue than it used to be tbh

·
Premium Member
6,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
goonas-uk said:
Mileage doesn't worry me to be honest... Nic when you went out in mine would you have thought it had 147,000 on the clock?
No.

It doesn't automatically mean that higher mileage means a bad performing / unreliable engine, but it does increase the risk of that happening.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
scharatz said:
When buying a car (or an engine), how important is the mileage figure to you?

I personally wouldn't buy anything that's done more than 70k even if it has a full service history.

You're missing out. Old Vauxhall engines aren't run in until they've cracked the 100k barrier :lmao:

Depends entirely on the condition of the car.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I use it as a guide, check on when cambelts are due, life expectancy of components such as clutch, turbo etc, so I can assess what I might need to spend in the near future. As long as it's been looked after I don't worry too much about buying high mileage cars as longs as it's not a 1.0 nova with 250k on the original engine or something.

·
Likes this.
11,146 Posts
My cavalier is coming up to 134k miles now. I bought it with 67k (iirc or 62k, not 100% sure now) on the clock.

I tend to look for lower mileage cars when I'm buying because I usually keep my cars a few years.

Saying that, I'm considering buying an old Suzuki 4x4 with 108k miles on the clock, and only a 970cc engine. But the fact that it's a second car (or third if you include Carol's Vitara) and will probably only cover 2000 miles a year means that the mileage isn't as much of an issue as my daily driver.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
generally when buying look for lower, but in general mileage doesnt rly bother me, as said, if its been looked after, and driven properly. who cares.

·
VxON's only German Shepherd
6,939 Posts
If the car runs fine, no dodgy sounds or clunks, gear changes are good etc, then I couldn't care less what the milage is. I will however pretend I care and use it to try and bring the price down ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
That depends on the type of car, the type of mileage i.e. long distance driving or shopping trolley driving, how hard its been driven, how well its been cared for.

The older vauxhall engine if properly cared for will go on for a long time.

·
Cannonball will win with or without you
8,417 Posts
All of my cars have had high milage my Turbo at 96k when I got it was probably the lowest .

1 - 20 of 54 Posts