1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
VXON SirTalkalot
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black
1798cc B Series
Year 76

I have just been asked to help restore one of these, it needs a lot of body work doing, and at the moment plastic bumpers, and in my mind i might chrome them up, wana change the wheels to the chrome multispoke from i can make out this will increase the price of the car, he wants it restored then sold :( and he has said just bring it back to its former glory

i`m just wondering if anybody has had any experience with these cars, any knowledge will be greatly received as i know nothing about them.

i will take pics, b4/during/after

·
Peace Upon the Children
2,002 Posts
have loadsa experience, but prob not helpful to you.
me dad had 1 for years and i grew up in it, learnt to drive in it etc.
used to sit in the garage in it pretending i was driving it.

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
You will be selling to a market full of enthusiasts and as such they will know the difference!
Do a good job (replace rather than patch) and you can increase the value, but not to the same degree as properly restoring a real chrome bumper MG.

·
15,300 Posts
Have a hunt on google, there will be a huge community for these somewhere!
As above, there will be some VERY knowledgeable people out there who will spot a crap restore (not saying yours would be) a mile off

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
the chrome bumpers and wire spoke wheels wil only put value on the car to someone who lies them. its like putting a bodykit on a new car rly. the chrome bumpers are available fairly cheaply, 300 quid iirc for a conversion kit. the wheels are expensive tho. i cant remember how much i was quoted for a set, but it wasnt cheap!!

·
member no 88
1,736 Posts
Snail said:
Black
1798cc B Series
Year 76

I have just been asked to help restore one of these, it needs a lot of body work doing, and at the moment plastic bumpers, and in my mind i might chrome them up, wana change the wheels to the chrome multispoke from i can make out this will increase the price of the car, he wants it restored then sold :( and he has said just bring it back to its former glory

i`m just wondering if anybody has had any experience with these cars, any knowledge will be greatly received as i know nothing about them.

i will take pics, b4/during/after
i worked on a lot of these cars when i was serving my time. they are not too bad to work on (every thing easy to get at) but spares prices are expencive. there is not a big market out there for a 1976 model (rubber bumber/not tax exempt) and to convert it to wire wheels and bumpers would cost a fortune. as with any older car restorations cost a lot of money
this is ok if you plan to keep the car, BUT theres no way you can restore a mgb just to sell on and make money

1 - 6 of 6 Posts