Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a vauahall mervia 1.6 A model had a month now but drinks petrol a lot any ideas willl be helpful

·
17,194 Posts
Meriva is a heavy car and the 1.6 not the most powerful engine so don't expect too much.

Reactions: Alan G H

·
Premium Member
3,824 Posts
You need to do a proper check on the consumption before doing anything.
Fill to the brim and zero trip meter, then run until you are down to about a quarter tank left. Fill to the brim again & record litres used and miles covered, then calculate your consumption (miles divided by litres, times 4.545 = MPG).
See what you get, post it here and compare it with what others are getting. Also, tell us what sort of motoring you are doing, city, urban or long distance work to get a good comparison.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Be interested to find how many mpg you get from yours?
I've been pretty impressed with mine around town, short journeys etc, not so impressed with motorway trips where to me the gearing is wrong and my thoughts are its revving too much at speed......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
going to give it a full service first as oil filter is so gone its got rust on it but strangly enough the coil pack is new i post pics soon

·
Registered
466 Posts
Depending on how it was used in the previous ownership, being rather a "grannies" car (no offence to anybody), it might need a bit of italian tune.
If that's vvt version, an oil filter replacement can make a big difference.

·
Worn Out Member
8,947 Posts
Jeez that's old :eek:

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
1,103 Posts
I’m assuming oil has never been changed, this engine / car is in a really poor shape. Never saw such an oil filter.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Judging on the spark plugs and the filter I wouldn't even start the car - the cambelt is a very risky unknown.
This is engine is very neglected.
It needs a full-full service: sparks, oil filter, air filter, a new oil with perhaps a decent flush. Probably the cabin filter would be in order, the fuel filter is very rarely replaced at all.
Cambelt set and drive belt.
Coolant replacement as well.

I wonder what's the state of other bits: tyres, brakes etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
quick update mervia A model oil change this weekend and on my journeys i had to fix rear passenger window as well i do a vid on oil change thanks all

1 - 19 of 19 Posts