Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Meriva. It broke down recently when everything seized on the car and I just managed to get it to a safe place. Breakdown man arrived, said it needed a new battery and it was probably the alternator gone. The garage replaced the alternator, and all was fine until last week when the same thing happened . Lights flashing on the dash, losing power then the power steering went, again I was lucky and managed to get to a place of safety. The same garage have said they think it might be electrics, as this fault happens when the car heats up, and the battery starts draining instead of charging while driving. Does anyone have experience of this please? Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
change garage. get the engine earth and battery earth checked. also check if the coolant fan is working and if you have air-conditioning is that fan switching on....

which engine/model is it?

The power steering is known flaw, factory defect from new, might be a different issue.

Ask what the battery is charging at when cold and when hot.

get a set of jump leads and when its hot take the black lead, put on the negative and then the other end of it on the engine or gearbox... this should provide a better earth...

try and run the car again and see. make sure NOT to connect the red to positive or the other end of the red on anything else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
change garage. get the engine earth and battery earth checked. also check if the coolant fan is working and if you have air-conditioning is that fan switching on....

which engine/model is it?

The power steering is known flaw, factory defect from new, might be a different issue.

Ask what the battery is charging at when cold and when hot.

get a set of jump leads and when its hot take the black lead, put on the negative and then the other end of it on the engine or gearbox... this should provide a better earth...

try and run the car again and see. make sure NOT to connect the red to positive or the other end of the red on anything else.
It is a 1.4 Exclusive AC Auto, if that helps, thanks for your help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts