Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, this is part of my “learning curve” been through the previous posts couldn’t find anything to cover this.
So I have two keys, & ignition lock and transponder all matched (second hand), I also have an Opcom on order. (From Koicarpkeeper).
Now not for one minute do I think that theses will be “plug & play” even though they are matched.
The question therefore is could someone run me through the fitting process/programming “step by step” please? Thanks in advance S2D.
Photo of items bought
Product Circuit component Font Camera accessory Auto part

·
Worn Out Member
8,423 Posts
Why are you changing the ignition housing and keys ?
do you have security codes for the set up you bought and your car ?
i don't remember on the Meriva B exactly which modules store the immo function
(certainly it'll be in the ECM and the immo module) but you may find programming used keys in to an existing system is a no-no without virgin keys or at least re-set ones.
Hopefully someone knows the Meriva setup well

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why are you changing the ignition housing and keys ?
do you have security codes for the set up you bought and your car ?
i don't remember on the Meriva B exactly which modules store the immo function
(certainly it'll be in the ECM and the immo module) but you may find programming used keys in to an existing system is a no-no without virgin keys or at least re-set ones.
Hopefully someone knows the Meriva setup well
Thanks for your input 👍 okay currently my Meriva is in a mess with its BCM, so that’s got to be replaced has a minimum, add to that I currently only have one original key, I purchased this lock set with two original keys (cheaply) to see if I could get it to work. Since I’ll be “exploring” the Opcom’s capabilities (& my own) anyway

·
16,186 Posts
Perhaps change the BCM first.
Then buy a virgin key and program that to your vehicle.
A lot easier than swapping ignition barrels over.
Then sell the keys and barrel that you bought and more than likely won't be able to use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps change the BCM first.
Then buy a virgin key and program that to your vehicle.
A lot easier than swapping ignition barrels over.
Then sell the keys and barrel that you bought and more than likely won't be able to use.
Thanks KK; I would have not actually bolted the lock on the column, just swopped the blade from my original key and moved the induction ring over with its box to the original column, door lock remains the same that way too (minimal physical work). So is there anyway the Opcom can program the lock ring & box to the current ECU, since I think (?) that the immo is in the ECU not the BCM (?) thanks S2D

·
Worn Out Member
8,423 Posts
First thing is an answer to my earlier question,do you have security codes for your car and the replacement immo module ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooops, yes I have the key code card for my car, I take it that’s what you mean? But not for the key set, can I take it that the “immo” module is the small box attached to the induction ring around the lock? ( I thought the immo function was part of the engine ECU ?) so I may be “fecked” at that point if the Opcom can’t read it from that box ???

·
Worn Out Member
8,423 Posts
I'm fairly sure the immo function will be ECM and that immo box,so unless you can reset the new one you've going nowhere,you can send the keys away to be reset to virgin though, I've done that on a few although not on a Meriva B

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm fairly sure the immo function will be ECM and that immo box,so unless you can reset the new one you've going nowhere,you can send the keys away to be reset to virgin though, I've done that on a few although not on a Meriva B
Although I know nothing; it seems logical that it should involve both the ECM/ECU & the immo box. In regards to reset I guess I’ll discover the capability of the Opcom to do so in due course. However what would be the point if you can’t, e.g. steering lock/immo box goes wrong, ECM okay, car pass code for the same and no function to program the perifials

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Although I know nothing; it seems logical that it should involve both the ECM/ECU & the immo box. In regards to reset I guess I’ll discover the capability of the Opcom to do so in due course. However what would be the point if you can’t, e.g. steering lock/immo box goes wrong, ECM okay, car pass code for the same and no function to program the perifials
Peripheral’s even

·
16,186 Posts
Or even peripherals.

Reactions: S2Digger

·
Worn Out Member
8,423 Posts
If you need to change an immo module when new it's simple as long as you have the security code,
same with new (virgin) keys.
The trouble comes with programming used parts that haven't been re-set prior to removal
(or at least supplied with their own security code) keys are tied to the module they are first programmed to but it's possible now to have them re-set (virginised)
That's why it's so important only to program whichever modules hold the immo function one at a time,this way you can program the immo function from for example an ECM to a CIM without any issues and still use the original keys.

·
Registered
Tigra Twintop 1.8 AT Z18XE AF17
639 Posts
The way I read this, car is messed up and you (OP) will make it even harder for the right person with the right tools. Opcom won't be sufficient to this job. To me, immo is in the BCM as well of course.

You also overestimate the opcom capabilities. No one will be able to read the sec code from the key or that small box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you need to change an immo module when new it's simple as long as you have the security code,
same with new (virgin) keys.
The trouble comes with programming used parts that haven't been re-set prior to removal
(or at least supplied with their own security code) keys are tied to the module they are first programmed to but it's possible now to have them re-set (virginised)
That's why it's so important only to program whichever modules hold the immo function one at a time,this way you can program the immo function from for example an ECM to a CIM without any issues and still use the original keys.
Top information right there 👍 now we are “peeling the onion”. Now from what I’m reading, Opcom (other products are available) are not capable of resetting or virginising units without an original code; BUT there’s companies out there that can, once they are the Opcom (et al) can. Next up; let’s say a Tech2 virginised a unit via the original code, could a Opcom code it to your vehicle, or won’t the different types “talk the same talk” ? And finally any details about the companies who can reset keys & units Thanks 👍

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The way I read this, car is messed up and you (OP) will make it even harder for the right person with the right tools. Opcom won't be sufficient to this job. To me, immo is in the BCM as well of course.

You also overestimate the opcom capabilities. No one will be able to read the sec code from the key or that small box.

Hi TTT, thanks for your reply, I’m learning (& hope) I can use the Opcom to help, I don’t know the capability of it. No doubt I will when it arrives. Seem there’s a difference of opinion about the ability to read keys/units without the code, I’ve asked Valer to share the name(s) of the company(‘s) who can.

·
Worn Out Member
8,423 Posts
Hi TTT, thanks for your reply, I’m learning (& hope) I can use the Opcom to help, I don’t know the capability of it. No doubt I will when it arrives. Seem there’s a difference of opinion about the ability to read keys/units without the code, I’ve asked Valer to share the name(s) of the company(‘s) who can.
You don't read keys as such and i've not heard of anyone reading the immo module
but these are the guys i've used in the past to virginise keys

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You don't read keys as such and i've not heard of anyone reading the immo module
but these are the guys i've used in the past to virginise keys
Thanks that’s appreciated, I’ve saved them. Additional question maybe you can help with; if a Tech 2 veriginise’s let’s say a BCM can a Opcom reset it to your car (all codes been present etc) ?

·
Worn Out Member
8,423 Posts
As i said earlier,i wish i had more experience of the Meriva B so not certain what opcom or tech 2 will do on it,certainly on cars like the Astra H etc as long as you have the security number you could re-set most modules with opcom or tech 2,once re-set they can then be programmed into a different car.
Looking on TIS for the Meriva it does say the BCM holds the immo function as well as the ECM,
also from what i see the immo module on the lock housing may be part of the immo chain or even a dumb unit (reader)but it doesn't hold the immo function.

Here's a c/p from TIS

Immobilizer System Component Programming

This procedure will learn the immobilizer function. Following program function will take more than 15 minutes.
If the battery voltage is low, charge the battery before programming the control module.
Note: Before programming the Immobilizer Function, the body control module (BCM) and/or the engine control module (ECM) must be programmed.
1. Connect a scan tool to the vehicle and access SPS. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) .
2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
3. Ensure that all power consuming devices are turned OFF on the vehicle.
4. Select SPS application and follow the on-screen instructions.
5. Select Reprogram ECU.
6. Select the IMMO Immobilizer Learn function.
7. Select the program Immobilizer Function.
Note: If both control modules were replaced, new virgin keys are needed.
8. On the next screen select the appropriate control module or modules if both are replaced. If only one control module was replaced select Use Existing Transponder Keys.
If both control modules were replaced select Use New Transponder Keys.
9. Enter the security code and follow the on-screen instructions.
10. With Use Existing Transponder Keys: After approximately 11 min. and after turn OFF the ignition for 1 min. the screen will display "Programming Complete".
11. With Use New Transponder Keys: After approximately 11 min. and after turn OFF the ignition for 1 min. the first key is learned. The screen will display “Learn Additional Key?”.
Select YES until all existing vehicle keys are learned.
12. After programming all keys “Programming Complete” is displayed.
13. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.

Reactions: TTT
1 - 20 of 21 Posts