Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2016 on my first Meriva –B I had fuel pump problems and help was given by this forum, late 2017. Now. having fallen for Mariva’s I’m on my second but earlier model in wonderful condition Meriva-B SECDTI 2010, diesel, 1686cc, A17DT(LUB), Mod/S=MK2 B4470 automatic, engine number 218722, Vin W0LSH9EH7B4114401, manufacture 2010
Having gone into limp mode on a couple of occasions when using kickdown (very upsetting) I have checked everything and narrowed the problem to the fuel pump, listening to it sometimes it sounded “weak” and then would change sound to “strong” sound. On disconnecting the flow to the engine under n/s/r I found that the weak sound gave no flow, and the strong was flow, I decided to change the pump, a lot of trouble getting a pump as both inlet and outlet were 10mm (unlike my old 2011 plate Meriva that had 8mm outlet and 10mm return inlet) new pump found and installed. Job finished and turned the key to prime system, “weak” sound from the pump, disconnected flow pipe n/s/r no flow, decided to check relay and fuse, searched and found diagram of fuse box so looking for relay 12 and fuse 24, opened the fuse box pictured below and found 12 and 24 are empty, no relay or fuse, gentlemen my question is “Where is the pump fuse and relay” I assume this was one of the early Meriva-B’s I am now stuck with no car until I can find an answer.I hope I'm not missing something obvious
BILD0442.JPG

·
Worn Out Member
7,404 Posts
Are you sure that wasn't just the tank sender you changed ?
just had a look at the wiring for that engine (A17DT,LUB) and it doesn't show an in tank pump,which would go some way to explaining why there's no relay or fuse

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Valer, so glad you replied, But no, I replaced the full pump that's what caused a problem with my supplier, finding a pump with 2x10mm take offs, and the second problem of no relay in the place it should be.A local mobile mechanic said that there may be a panel of relays at the back of the scuttle and number 9 fuse on the "body control module by the pollen filter" for the A17 engine for the pump, I think he may have looked at early meriva not the B, could you verify please?. the bottom line is there is a full pump and sender in tank and no relay where the later years show it, the local mobile does not want to get involved, sorry only just replied as wife had me working in the garden as car is not working.

·
Worn Out Member
7,404 Posts
Just double checked and it's only showing a gauge with supply/return for that engine,no in tank pump,and a relay and fuse for just these engine types (note no LUB listed)
F24UA 15 A KR23A Fuel Pump Relay (LDD, LDV, LSF, LUD, LUE,LUH, LUJ, LVL or LVM)
A7 Fuel Pump and Level Sensor Assembly (LDD, LDV,LSF, LUD, LUE, LUH, LUJ, LVL or LVM)
do you still have the old pump ? if so post a few pics,
searching by the part number listed for your car (13268624) brings up pics like this,
as you can see,no pump so i'm a bit baffled

BCM fuse 9 is shown for the airbag coil,the separate relay block is shown as containing just cooling fan relays for some of the engine variants.

Untitled picture.png

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pump now fitted is an intermotor part no. int39517 the pump with wrong fittings( but correct for my first B) was int39560 pic of old pump below, just for a side issue, I had problems setting the service interval as the car did not resemble the book description, so can this issue of cars have different wiring, If I can get a wire diagram then I'll cut into the loom and fit a feed and relay.
Thought I'de lookup the number you quoted as your pic is of an in tank pump, checked on ebay my int39517 comes out as a sender unit only, your number comes up as in tank, i'm getting confussed, here are some pics of the item that came out of the tank ( i call it a pump and sender)

Attachments

·
Worn Out Member
7,404 Posts
The pic of the unit i posted has just a coarse filter plus tank sender,
the intermotor 39517 is also just a sender,the big giveaway is only 2 wires both going to the sender.
Here's a pic of a Meriva B tank unit with the pump,as you can see it's quite different,with an electrical connection to the pump
I believe yours uses the Denso HP pump to pull fuel up rather than having a LP feed from the tank

s-l500.jpg

·
Worn Out Member
7,404 Posts
Reading back through the issue and what's been done,i'd recommend changing the fuel filter,make sure the filter is then fully brimmed with fuel and try starting it,give it a sniff of easy start if it's reluctant,the problem may well be fuel related although more likely to be the scv or hp pump,but if it's gone into limp mode there will already be a code or two stored to at least point you in the right direction before doing any more work on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had to go into work for a while, but home now, Valer. a couple of questions please, where is the Denso pump situated, does it prime on just ignition or should starter motor be operated, whats the scv and many thanks for your time, as it turns out I did miss something obvious, I think it was because I was confused with the 10mm ans 8mm terminations and worrying about it and assuming that it was the same as my ex B.
You know the best thing about this forum is people will help without judgement, even the silliest mistakes are treated with respect again thank you

·
Worn Out Member
7,404 Posts
The hp pump is driven by the cambelt,so relies on the engine cranking to build fuel pressure,
the scv (suction control valve) is on the rear of the pump

s-l500.jpg

·
Worn Out Member
7,404 Posts
Do the basics as suggested first,
btw do you have opcom to read/clear codes and check live data ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All up and running, new filter and siphoned fuel up to engine compartment, turned key and it started instantly ( the best ever start) I have a small AUTECH reader, but no codes shown, now cautious driving to see what happens (if it goes to limp mode or not) thanks again Valer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Meriva –B update, it ran well for a few days, but from Wednesday morning it has been parked in our local pub carpark after limping home and not making it (trying to stall, no revs, no power and stalled in pub car park) it will start instantly on the button every time but will not rev and will die before the Speedo and Rev counter have finished their reset ( needle going fully round the clock and back to rest) so no chance of getting live data. A correction to earlier post, my reader just purchased is an Autel Maxlink ML619. The only codes that are shown are genetic to Autel are $07E8 and $07EA on interrogating $07E8 I got P0409 EGR sensor A circuit fault and nothing for $07EA, no actual fault codes are shown current or pending so Autel is no hope,
Will an EGR fault give the symptoms I have had ( limp mode , no throttle control to mention just enough revs to get to safe place to stop, restart engine all ok) and now just starting and stopping immediately not able to get live data and not able to move the vehicle. I have spent yesterday checking every electrical connection that I can see on the engine, no luck.

·
Premium Member
15,265 Posts
Yes, probably stuck open, either blank it to try or you could try unplugging the maf, this dont always work but worth a try.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts