Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 54 plate meriva design, semi-automatic eco thingy. I drove it this morning as usual but when i got in again to start it there was a flashing "F" in the gear display and the car would not start. I called the RAC who came quickly i must say, he started the car from the starter motor, but no matter which gear i selected it remained in neutral with the flashing "F" still flashing.
I was towed to the Vauxhall dealer, he just phoned and said it might be the clutch and that if it was it may not be covered by the warranty. He quoted me £860.00 yes £860.00 for the work.

I cant understand that if I drive it as an automatic all of the time, and I use the handbrake on inclines etc how the clutch problem can be down to me? The car has done 36.000 miles without a problem and I am no "boy racer".

I hope someone may be able to advise me.

Thanks

Martin

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
As I understand it, the gearbox on the Meriva is not a true auto box, but a manual box that is electronically operated. We queried this a couple of years ago on a test drive. It seemed odd then, that when the car was in "auto" mode, that unless we pre-empted the gear change and eased off the gas, then engine would race away while the electrical side of things changed gear.

As far as I recall, you have no direct dealings with the clutch, there's no clutch pedal and as you say, the only time you can hold the car on the bite, is on a hill, but that should be no different to a manual box for the wear and tear.

My auto cav would show the gearbox light every so often and the immobiliser would prevent the car from starting. This eventually disappeared when I sorted out a problem with the air intake. Very unlikely to be your problem, but it shows how the system can mis-diagnose a problem.

If Vaux try telling you that any damage is down to wear and tear, then I'd ask them to show you the offending parts and explain their diagnosis.

TBH, when we were looking at replacing my wifes car 2.5 years ago, we looked at the Meriva "auto" and dismissed it because of the half hearted attempt at an autobox. When I changed my car a few months ago, i opted for the tried and tested autoboxes as used in the cavs and astras. I've an AF22 gear box and it does exactly what the tin says.

There could well be an ID plate on top of your transmission box with the ID code on it. If so, try a search on that code on the web.

I'd watch the dealer very carefully as if he's saying if might be the clutch, he's just not sure. The fault code should report the actual problem to him on the tech tool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply,

The more i think about it the more unlikely it seems that it can be the clutch. I am sure i would have noticed some sort of slipping, juddering or racing sound, it was driving perfectly 5 minutes before.

I will keep you posted

Thanks again

Martin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Follow up.

The mechanics, sorry "the technicians" decided that the clutch in my car was ok and had not been mis-used. They advised the garage to change a "slave gear" to fix the problem. Surprise Surprise this made no difference, so they finally agreed to change the electronic gear select control.

What ever happened to starting at the problem and working backwards?

More news tomorrow.

Martin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Did you ever get this problem fixed?as I am thinking of buying a used Meriva easytronic and wonder about the long term reliability of the autobox.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts