Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI all,

Likely to be a very stupid / basic question but I can't get the n/s remote headlight levelling motor back in it's mount AND linked to the headlight guts with the headlight in situ so want to remove the front bumper.

Two screws each end in the wheelarch, 3 clips underneath (already missing), two screws on the little panel on the top (that could probably stay attached to the bumper) but there are what feels like a couple of main mounts in line with the chassis rails but I can't really see, well not from the top?

I can see a couple of bolts that seem to have their heads showing under the bumper and above the grill that I can get to but can't see where they would go even if I removed the nuts at the top so the answer must be obvious when underneath?

But the HBOL and any online searches seem to point to a couple of fasteners just inside the headlight inner edges but not that look easy to get to (or put back in) as there are things like the aircon rad in the way?

Before this 65 year old gets the ramps out and starts laying under it in the road, could someone kindly confirm what I need to do to remove these last fastenings please? ;-(

·
16,761 Posts
The bumper is held in place with TWO fasteners in each wheel arch. One at the bottom of the wheel arch liner and one where the bumper joins the wheel arch. They are Torx screws.
Other than that it is only held by the 3 plastic push fasteners into the subframe and the two screws either side of the radiator - if it is the facelift version.
Don't forget to remove or unplug the outside air temperature sensor which is clipped into the back of the lower grille

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bumper is held in place with TWO fasteners in each wheel arch. One at the bottom of the wheel arch liner and one where the bumper joins the wheel arch. They are Torx screws.
Other than that it is only held by the 3 plastic push fasteners into the subframe and the two screws either side of the radiator - if it is the facelift version.
Don't forget to remove or unplug the outside air temperature sensor which is clipped into the back of the lower grille
Hi mate and thanks for the prompt reply. ;-)

Yeah, I have taken the 4 screws out of the bumper to wheelarch (that was my 'Two screws each end' bit ... I think I had two hex and two Torx), the 3 push stud things into the subframe were already missing and I'm not sure which two screws either side of the rad (as they could be the ones I need to find). I removed the two screws that retain the small panel between the top of the bumper and go into slots on the top of the aircon rad (or might have been main rad) but the bumper still feels very much attached? ;-(

Basically I can potentially get to something that looks like it might be the thing on the n/s/f but there is an aircon component that pretty well blocks all access the that area on the o/s/f ... assuming these should be something that's easy to access from the outside / top, given you have to remove the bumper to get to some of the lamps?

Given that I can't find anything on Youtube about it I can only conclude I'm missing something ... like I need to pull the bumper off harder or it's held on by the numberplate screws or summat? ;-(

p.s. This is an 04 so not sure if it's a 'facelift version'?

·
16,761 Posts
04 is pre facelift but there is really nothing else holding it on.
There is a thread I put up with photos showing all the fastenings. I'll see if I can find it.

·
16,761 Posts
Quick search would have found this from 6 years ago:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Quick search would have found this from 6 years ago:

And I had and did ... and I'd followed it!

Unfortunately, after "Next release the two larger torx screws that fasten down through the brackets on the top of the bumper into the bumper support beam - you can see these clearly with the bonnet open."

Then

"Then ease the whole bumper forward to release it, supporting it on something suitable."

I hadn't tried 'Pull the end of the bumper outwards quite forcibly till it goes 'bang' and you nearly fall over ... to release the end of the bumper from the wing ... ' ;-)

I now have and looks like I can now easily access the headlamp etc.

I felt it should have been that easy so thank you for confirming that it was. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Any idea if I could get a replacement slide clip thing to hold the n/s/f headlamp connector in place as mines missing (along with the top cover / boot that covers the back of the mainbeam / dip lamp aperture?

·
16,761 Posts
I picked up a missing headlight cover from the local scrappy. If they are feeling helpful you might get a red clip too.

Reactions: T i m

·
16,761 Posts
My bumper is not clipped into anything that requires any force to remove, perhaps the pre facelift is different?

A photo might help anyone else in the future if you can take one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My bumper is not clipped into anything that requires any force to remove, perhaps the pre facelift is different?

That's what I thought ... from all I'd read and seen it should have been just a matter of removing all 9 fastenings and the external temperature sensor wire and it should just slide forward (sometimes in guides as it has been on other cars) but it was very much locked in at the top on both sides, so much so that no amount of me pulling the whole bumper forwards gave any suggestion that it was going to give any time soon. Only when prying / pulling the top back corner(s) outward with my fingers did it come away (with a pop) and the bumper hung down on that side!

I'll check what exactly was holding it in place tomorrow and try to take some pictures.

Cheers, Tim

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, bumper off, light height motor attached and in it's groove properly and 3 of the 4 bumper end Torx screws (I thought two were hex, two Torx as my 1/4" square drive set only has hex and one fitted <g>) and all back together, minus one clip and screw of course. ;-(

This should be the picture of the barb / clip that was holding the bumper onto the bottom of the wing:

Car Hood Vehicle Fixture Personal luxury car

Doesn't look like much but because the tabs were hooked round where the bumper screws in at that point, stopping the bumper pulling forward and that barb not being right at the end where you would typically be trying to pull the bumper outwards, it needed quite a bit of flexing and pulling of the bumper to get it to give.

So, I just need one of the spring clips (might have one or probably get a set off eBay?) and 3 of the fastners that hold the bottom of the bumper to the subframe. Any ideas please?

·
16,761 Posts
If you mean the spring clip that holds the bottom of the wing Halfords stock a mixed pack.
The push fasteners are on eBay but my local Stealership sells them individually.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you mean the spring clip that holds the bottom of the wing Halfords stock a mixed pack.
Yes, the spring steel flattened U with a semi thread though it for a self tapper. I'll check out Halfords thanks. ;-)

The push fasteners are on eBay but my local Stealership sells them individually.
Ok thanks (again), I'll check out both (not sure we have a local Stealership, my garage owning mate used to use Toomeys at Southend). On eBay, are they sold for the specific job or a generic of that plug / expanding rivet style fastener that might come in a variety of shapes and sizes? I don't have one to compare anything with. ;-(

So, with bumper back on and light sorted I measured the diameter of the missing main / dip access cover and might design and 3D print something for now.

After a quick trip to Burger King and back to get the engine warm (and a Plant Based Whopper <g>), I got her up on my ramps and changed the oil (Mannoil 5W-30) and (Mann) filter. I might see if I can find a magnetic sump plug as I have them on my motorbikes and find they are a good indicator of engine wear etc.

Thanks again for all the help. ;-)

·
16,761 Posts
When I'm in the garage next I'll take a photo of the plastic clips you need.

·
16,761 Posts
This is what you need.

Couch Plant Collar Finger Petal

Couch Textile Gas Metal Auto part

Arm Human body Sleeve Circle Linens

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<snip pics>
Thanks very much again. I thought they would need fairly big heads as the holes in the bumper were quite big.
And this is what arrived this morning ...
Aircraft Aviation Gas Metal Electric blue

Unfortunately they don't seem to fit, they won't go into the holes in the subframe, well not from me trying to push them quite hard with the pin completely out when laying in the road (as you can see from the marks on the end of the right one)? I feel if I was able to get them I I wouldn't be able to get the pin in?

So something I should have asked at the time was 'what is the diameter of the correct fasteners please'?

OOI, these are 7mm across the slotted area (eg the 'natural' diameter of the barbed section of the stem).

Now I'm guessing I could get it up on the kerb or ramps and get a drill up there but I would much rather not have to. ;-(

Any thoughts please?

·
16,761 Posts
The "proper" ones are longer.
I just drilled the holes out very slightly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts