Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hoping for some advise to resolve an issue which I am currently experiencing with my Meriva.

After sitting idle for approximately 5 minutes I received an error code 4 which translates as air con off. At the same time I noticed that the car engine temperature was in the red. After lifting the bonnet I discovered that the engine cooling fan was not running.

With the help of various support pages online I was encouraged to check the fuse box within the engine bay. I believe that there are 2 fuses associated with the coolant fan, one 40amp (presume low speed) and the other 50amp (presume high speed). The 50amp fuse had blown.

Upon replacing the 50amp fuse I regained my engine cooling fan when the engine temperature passed 90 degrees.

What is confusing me now is that the engine cooling fan will run for no more than 5 seconds at high speed approximately every 15 to 20 seconds whilst air conditioning is on. This is putting additional load on the engine and results in a dip in power when driving. If I turn off air conditioning then the fan will only spin if the engine temperature passes 90 degrees. Prior to the fuse blowing I cannot recall the car behaving in this way.

I have had the car scanned at my local garage and they can find no fault. They have also left the car to idle for 5 minutes to ensure the engine cooling system is behaving as it should. Is there anything I can do to diagnose this further? Could there be a fault on a separate circuit for the air conditioning?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
Is there not a relay you can check ?

·
Super Moderator
26,657 Posts
Hey Fred, thanks for the reply.

So far I've come up short in finding a list of Relays for the car. Unfortunately there's no Haynes Manual for the car to explore further.
Ok let’s get @Valer on the case :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
With air conditioning on the fan will run for a short time and every 15 to 20seconds this is perfectly normal as my meriva does the same as do most cars
Hi Damian, thanks for the reply! It's reassuring to hear from someone with the same car. Without sounding too daft, does the fan only spin at full speed when initiated by the air con then stop? Or does it continue to run alternating between a high and low speed?

I've managed to upload a video showing how my fan currently runs

https://streamable.com/mb297

·
"Red One.."
2,873 Posts
Agreed the cooling fan behaviour is perfectly normal - it runs at intervals during air con operation to keep the pressure in the high side of the air con system (through the condenser) regulated. The frequency of it running will depend how high this pressure is.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed the cooling fan behaviour is perfectly normal - it runs at intervals during air con operation to keep the pressure in the high side of the air con system (through the condenser) regulated. The frequency of it running will depend how high this pressure is.
Thanks for the reply Nick!

As the fan is running quite frequent do you think the pressure of my air con system could be low? What can be done to remedy this? Will a re gas be a good start?

Cheers!

·
"Red One.."
2,873 Posts
Thanks for the reply Nick!

As the fan is running quite frequent do you think the pressure of my air con system could be low? What can be done to remedy this? Will a re gas be a good start?

Cheers!

The fans run as the pressure in the A/C pressure reaches an upper threshold - it's very temperature dependent too so higher ambient temps will increase the A/C pressure and you'll see the fans operate much more frequently.

Reactions: Fred Bassett
1 - 10 of 10 Posts