Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8 months ago was driving home and had a floppy gear stick all of a sudden, no signs of it breaking down, check under bonnet could see linkage hanging down, I replaced it with another plastic one as I couldn’t get a metal one quick. I done this myself, I’m not the best at DIY but this seemed a job I could handle, all went fine and was sorted.

Few days ago was stiff getting into 2nd gear for 2 days and linkage broke when trying to get into 2nd, I assume I done something wrong so I paid a mobile mechanic to fit another one he used a plastic one aswell as it was collect same day in a hour, he fitted it fine and it worked ok for 1 day, was stiff again this morning and broke the linkage.

so just to recap: had car 3 years no issues with gears, broke 8 months ago DIY repair lasted 8 months until it broke 2 days ago, new one fitted lasted 1 1/2 days.

I have very basic knowledge of gears so go easy on me, is it a gear problem or was the linkage not installed correctly twice ? Would a metal one make a difference?

·
Registered
125 Posts
No. It won't. First get that gearbox synchro fixed, that is,

after you check if the box is leaking oil.

better yet, get the oil drained and while you're at it,

get a magnet to check of the bearings are failing in the box. If you have a telescopic magnet it's easy... But if you happen to have a large part of an old one leave it in the drain tray to collect the bits.

Also check the clutch is not failing, if it's taking near the top of the action as you use the clutch... If it's in the middle then it's probably ok.

Looks like you might be stronger than you think

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for advice, I’m confident the clutch is still good, I think I will look into the gearbox synchro first, it’s not something I have attempted before but I’ll give it a go

·
Premium Member
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last thing ya needs a floppy stick!
I thought it was an age thing having a floppy stick first thing in the morning 🙄 , thanks for your input 😂 if your down this way anytime soon feel free to fix the car , thanks mate

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey thanks for advice, I’m confident the clutch is still good, I think I will look into the gearbox synchro first, it’s not something I have attempted before but I’ll give it a go
Check for the special tools and generally you need pullers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts