Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Yawn.
2016 Focus ST-3 & 2021 Hyundai i20N
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll admit it, but i have ripped this idea off of the Briskoda Forums :lmao:

Anyway - the basic idea is, we meet at one end of the Jurassic Coast, that runs through Devon & Dorset, and we drive the coastal road to the other, stopping for a lunch in the middle somewhere, and regular stops along the way for photos etc

Members won't be obligated to having to drive the full length of the meet, and people are more thean welcome to join/leave halfway through etc etc

If there is enough Interest, i'll get more info together to arrange it

Ideally, this would be good for Late Spring and Summer, as there is a higher chance of decent weather, and more light :Cool2:

So, add your name if you would be interested in this happening :Cool2:

Cheers, Dave

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
I could be interested in this, seems a fantastic idea. I would probably come along with my daughter, as she'd probably enjoy the drive :).

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
Suggest that we meet at the Car Park for Corfe Castle and head Back to Wareham, then A352 towards Wool but cut down the B3070 to the Lulworths, pop by Lulworth cove maybe, Durdle Door, but these stops will be very busy that time of year. Head back to Winfrith and Owermoigne.

Unless you really wanted to pop down to Portland and the Bill and have a look back along Chesil beach, there's not much going on in Weymouth bar losing an hour getting in and out again. We could skip Weymouth, go via Dorchester, then cut down from Winterborne Abbas to Portesham and that's where the roads start to get better (Mmmm).
Possible stop at Portesham at the Kings Head/Arms/Legs or other such bodily parts or we can just blast (or even drive in accordance with all road laws) from Portesham to West Bay. Nice hill just after abbotsbury and a lovely road to Swyre and beyond. Reasonable parking in West Bay and plenty of chips to eat.

From there, someone else can pick the navigation, but a finish in Budleigh Salterton or Exmouth might be appropriate.

http://www.jurassiccoast.com/

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
It's a lovely part of the UK and a lot of nice roads.... but if doing it in high summer it is also a caravan club members Mecca.....

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
If its at the end of may i could be up for this, or down whatever way it is.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Suggest that we meet at the Car Park for Corfe Castle and head Back to Wareham, then A352 towards Wool but cut down the B3070 to the Lulworths, pop by Lulworth cove maybe, Durdle Door, but these stops will be very busy that time of year. Not a bad road though to see the coast and head back to .

How much of the Coast do you want to see? could head down to Winfrith and Owermoigne.

Unless you really wanted to pop down to Portland and the Bill and have a look back along Chesil beach, there's not much going on in Weymouth bar losing an hour getting in and out again. We could skip Weymouth, go via Dorchester, then cut down from Winterborne Abbas to Portesham and that's where the roads start to get better (Mmmm).
Possible stop at Portesham at the Kings Head/Arms/Legs or other such bodily parts or we can just blast (or even drive in accordance with all road laws) from Portesham to West Bay. Nice hill just after abbotsbury and a lovely road to Swyre and beyond. Reasonable parking in West Bay and plenty of chips to eat.

From there, someone else can pick the navigation, but a finish in Budleigh Salterton or Exmouth might appropriate.

http://www.jurassiccoast.com/
That sounds perfect :), means I can then skit up the M5 back to Bristol with consumate ease!!

·
Premium Member
2,351 Posts
The car park for Corfe Castle is on the A351, 4.2miles south of the junction with the A352 at Wareham. Suggest that we meet here at 10:30.

• Move out at 11am, heading North on the A351 for 4.2 miles to the roundabout with the A352 at Wareham. Turn left onto the A352, heading towards Wool for 1.3 miles.
  • Turn left onto the B3070, heading towards East Lulworth , 3.7 miles, mostly straight.
  • Negotiate bends Left, Right, Right around the enterance to Lulworth Castle, remaining on the B3070 to the T junction with the B3071 at Lulworth Camp. 1.7miles. Turn Right, remain on B3070 for a further .8 mile.
  • Turn Right on West Road, 0.2miles, Turn Right on B3070 towards Winfrith Newburgh, 3 miles. At T junction, turn right onto High Street for 0.65miles to T junction with A352, Turn Left through Owermoigne,over roundabout, through Broadmayne to Whitcombe. 6.4miles
  • Pass through Whitcombe 0.8 miles, turn left onto unnamed road to Witerborne Came and through to Winterborne Herringston. Turn right, over hump backed bridge, bend left and take first left to Winterborne Monkton. 0.7 miles.
  • Turn Left on A354 and immediate Right towards Winterbourne St Martin/Martinstown for 1.5 miles.
  • Crossroads, Turn Right, Join B3159 to Winterborne St Martin/Martinstown.
  • Continue on B3159 for 3 miles through Winterborne Steepleton. Take Left turn onto Coombe Road, heading to Portesham. Good road, hills, bends and cows. Beware the blind summits. 3.4 miles.
Distance covered, circa 31.8miles. opportunity to stop and eat at Kings head or move on to photo opportunity at Abbotsbury.

For Food stop, turn left on B3157 and immediate left into car park for the pub.

• Either way, on leaving for Abbotsbury, turn Right on B3157 to Abbotsbury. 1.7miles. Caution, 90 degree and tight right hand bend in village.
  • 0.6 miles later, road bends right and goes up hill (Abotsbury Hill) 0.7 miles and near the top, there's a layby ont he left and good photo op. (ice creams too).
  • Opportunity to crash.
  • The next 2.5 miles is the road to Swyre and is the place where the stupid are fooled and will crash. It's a deceptive wee road, with gorgeous views to the left over the sea. The road drops significantly over the 2.5 miles and it's too easy to fail to adhere to the speed limit.
  • Through Swyre and up hill for a bit, then down hill again to Burton Bradstock. 2.8 miles.
  • 1.1 miles and there's a left hander just after the golf club, heading to West bay. 0.6 miles. Parking is available at the harbourside, or if busy, there's generous parking on the West Bay road, 200 yards to the right.
Total miles 41.8. Rough distance to Exmouth from here is another 38 miles.

·
Yawn.
2016 Focus ST-3 & 2021 Hyundai i20N
13,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still gathering info from Briskoda for this, as they have done this a couple of times

Also, not sure when to do it, as i am also trying to consider a date for the rescheduled Rolling Road day that got cancelled in November

Good to see there is interest though :up:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds a good run.... Idea if going to Portesham is a huge meet area by the Monument which on Sundays is open and you can go up it for a couple quid or congregate and take stunning pictures of cars and area. The co-ordinates are on the link below.

http://www.follytowers.com/hardystxt.html

From here you are just a few miles from Chesil beach and are on the highest ground, so on a clear day up there you can see way out across the Channel. Beautiful.

Dave (S.Somerset)

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
Also, not sure when to do it, as i am also trying to consider a date for the rescheduled Rolling Road day that got cancelled in November
Just an idea but what about doing the jurassic coast on the saturday and the rolling road on a sunday. If you did that then it would certainly be worth while to members further afield as i would be tempted to come down for that weekend and make the most of it. get a hotel or something and if we got a group could have few beers the saturday night.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.