Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who the funk started this, my bosses calls us fitters but im training to be a mechanic not a fecking fitter

Help me before i bash someone :lmao:

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bigdrifter said:
Thats basically what we are these days- mechanics will strip and repair components where as fitters replace them
Well i certainly not a fitter coz the company i work for are tight as arseholes to get money out of let allow buy something new :lmao:

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
they were fitters in my day.

Mechanical fitters were knowns as mechanics, but there's more to it these days, bit of electrical, bit of instrumentation.

I started off as a clanky (mechanical), then did a Technician apprenticeship (Electronics/RF), then became an Instrument Fitter., then Operations Engineer, where I remain.

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
Consider youself lucky! I qualified as an engineer, now that I have my own business, if I happen to be in my scruffs I'm constantly being accused of being a bloody mechanic/fitter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
If you perform mechanical maintenance on cars, trucks and the like as your normal job you get called a mechanic.

But...

If you also perform some electrical work on cars, trucks etc. you get called a technician.

However...

If you perform routine maintenance on aircraft as your normal job you get called an aircraft fitter.

·
Likes this.
11,308 Posts
Our Maintenance department at work is called "Engineers". There is one engineer in the "engineers" dept. and he's the manager. None of the others are qualified engineers.

Really irritates me when a fitter/technician gets called an Engineer, and I'm not even a qualified engineer (my sister is though). Must be quite frustrating for real engineers....

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
WTF is a 'civil engineer'??? An engineer in a good mood???

Right then, I want to be a 'Really Angry and Pissed Off Engineer' anyone want to be one too?

·
CavWeb's Official Penis!
5,913 Posts
I'm an 'accounting technician'....work that one out.

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
SteveW said:
Our Maintenance department at work is called "Engineers". There is one engineer in the "engineers" dept. and he's the manager. None of the others are qualified engineers.

Really irritates me when a fitter/technician gets called an Engineer, and I'm not even a qualified engineer (my sister is though). Must be quite frustrating for real engineers....
It is very frustrating:mmmm

·
CavWeb's Official Penis!
5,913 Posts
dave's.cavy said:
being called a fitter really winds me up :grrr :lmao:
LSI said:
Do you fit stuff?
I wonder where your going with this :lmao:

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
I'm a qualified Engineer, but passers by ask if I'm a mechanic.

"No, I do this for fun" is my reply.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts