Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

Matt's Honda CBR600 track bike

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  2504Gav 
#1 ·
Having sold the R6 road bike, the hunt was on for a 600cc sports bike for trackdays that would also be capable of having a daytime MOT for occasional road use. (so needed a V5 basically) This one has already been daytime MOT'd so that makes life alot easier. Road will be its secondary use though.

Anyway, £1100 got me this...

Untitled by matt goodman, on Flickr

A 1997 CBR600 F3 trackbike. Spec wise it's got the following...

520 chain conversion
Wets on wheels with discs
Pirelli supercorsa scrubs
Healtech gear indicator
Ktech fork internals
Quick release fuel filler
Bendix MRR pads (will be changing to my usual SBS carbon)
SBS rearsets

It was cheap because it needs a good tidy up. The picture flatters it (will add more later) but i'm seeing this as a winter project. I'll also be keeping the CB500. The idea being to use this one at the tracks with longer straights like Snetterton to hopefully stop the slower riders just blatting past on the straights then holding me up in the next corners :)

To do list to follow.

See less See more
#3 ·
.......(or do a good impression of someone who knows it)...........
@Matt-SRI hasn't got a clue what he's on about, its his mate who won the Thundersports that's told him what to write!! :)

Reactions: Matt-SRI and Alex
#4 ·
And so the stripdown begins...

Ordered my favorite SBS dual carbon pads for it today too. As per usual, i'll keep a track of spend as I did on the CB500 up to the point where it's "finished" then stop :)

Budget on this one is £1500.

Bike £1100
Brake pads £51

Total £1151

#5 · (Edited)
Progress :)

soon be ready to start prepping the frame for paint.
Forks are out ready for rebuild
swingarm out for refurb
Fairings are in the process of being repaired
Full engine/box service will be completed while it's in bits.
Loom being tidied.

No more spend yet

Should be ready for action by spring.

#8 ·
#11 ·
I'm treating this a bit like I did the CB500 at first. As in a quick tidy up but nothing too outrageous as no point going mad with it until I know I like it....

These fairings are never going to be great but no point spending £250-300 on new ones at this time so i've repaired them as best as I can for now and had a bit of fun with the colour scheme on the cheap.

£10 of poundland white paint
£5 of vinyl offcuts for a bit of "urban cammo"

The vinyl covers up the really rough bits well.

Should get some use out of it next season then can decide if I want to keep it and build it properly or move it on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.