Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sisters bloke took his omega 2.0 into a garage in luton to have the cambelt done, he was told a sensor wire that runs across the top of the engine needed replacing, think they replaced it anyway when I went into the garage they had the new belt kit on, but then he was then told it was still running rough and needed new camshafts, they changed these and it still runs shite, further digging on there part found it had 4 bent valves think they replaced them but now they are saying one of the pistons is fecked. (confirmed by a Vx engineer apparently).

Also what is the sensor they replaced?

He is now being told to remove the car from the premises. My sister today is getting onto trading standard and there customer care services today.

Sorry for the essay was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what they have done to cause so much damage.

Can the engine be fixed or should he be looking for a recon engine/donor car

*Edit* avoid the Formula 1 Garage like the plague.

Any ideas on this would be most appreciated

·
Vivaro 2.0 CDTI Sportive, Mazda 6 Skyactiv
610 Posts
What was it running like before it went in to have the belt done?

If it was ok before then the bent valves would have been caused by the new belt not being fitted with the timing marks aligned correctly.
This could also be the cause of the cam shafts being damaged.
The piston damage could be from the impact of the valves hitting it!

(a fair amount of the loom runs over this point so its possible that the loom could have been for about 6 sensors)

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car was running fine he drove it over to the garage ok no problems, I even was driving the car for a little while as the car was my folks to start off.

The trouble is now he has been told to remove the car which is bad as they cannot fix it.

*edit* the trouble is the job was done on the cheap as the guy who runs the garage is a supposed mate, my sister bloke delivers the tyres around the area for stapletons and this guy said he could do it. Just wondering whether there building insurance should cover the repairs to the damage they caused.

·
610 Posts
as he runs a garage and it is in there at the minute he is liable, tell him to sort it or trading standards will be involved.
Also speak to your local citizens advice, he has obviously fecked the engine, get him to sort it!

All the problems you have described are all the cause of the cambelt being fitted incorrectly! (by him as it was running fine before)

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The actual sensor as mentioned I am asking about is the one that runs across the top of the rocker cover and down the side of the engine (right hand side when looking into engine bay). The wire actually clips onto the cover along with the cable to the camshaft sensor. I was told it the crank sensor and that there were about 4 sensors when I was told this I wasn't sure as I thought the crank sensor is at the bottom of the engine.

Thankyou fastcarmaniac this is what i have been telling my sister the car is actually hers but my sisters bloke drives it.

Hopefully when she speaks to trading standards she will have some luck. shall also be recommending she speaks to the CAB aswell.

Best part of it is she has already given them money for some of the work (Good job they got a receipt) and now I think they should be giving it back to her for the trouble they have caused.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the sensor is they replaced, and also be able to confirm how many sensors there are.

I know of 2 only, 1st the camshaft sensor and the 2nd the crank sensor.

Another thing I thought I would also mention is the guy at the garage turned it over with the sparks out and what with the camshafts being knackered (this was before they replaced them) i can only assume he caused further damage.

·
610 Posts
i think the crank sensor is at the rear of the engine, near the oil filter (will have a check later when I#m out changing the brakes)

R

·
0 Posts
Totally agree with all the above.

If the car was running fine before it went to this muppet, then refuse the car and have it and him inspected by trading standards. Obviously he didn't drive it there with bent valves or a hole in the piston. This dickhead has mullered his engine and now he must pay.

Damage is caused by putting the cambelt on wrongly, ie a tooth or more out. The pistons come up and hit the valves that shouldn't still be there. Knackered valves, pistons and engine basically!

In the first instance, friend or no friend, a recorded delivery letter to the mechanic/garage telling them that the car drove perfectly before it went in for a routine part change. Give them 7 days to confirm that they will repair all the damage they have caused AT THEIR COST or he will take them to court. And do it! Let them explain to the county court judge how he drove it there like that!

write down everything, times, dates, who, what was said. If he is in the AA or RAC get them to inspect the car and claim the cost of that back too!

Don't take no for an answer. If they want to get funny let them laugh with the nice judge.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks RonaldMcBurger having spoken to my sister about the car this morning she is contacting trading standards in Luton so its just a waiting game at the moment. Shall find out later.

Solicitor I think my folks are starting the ball rolling on that one.

What a mess and so uneccessary.

*edit* Marks DTM Calib yeah I think he had a heavy foot, w****r.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
nixoro said:
job was done on the cheap as the guy who runs the garage is a supposed mate
And I don't think it's supposed mates that blow engines. As a neighbour of mine had his Subaru's cambelt done at a main Subaru dealer. Result: engine went pop first trip down motorway!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
On the 2.0 the crank sensor is at the front, wire runs up behind the power steering / aircon mounting block, through the cable tray to a connector on left front of engine.

Sounds like the cambelt was fitted with the timing marks mis-aligned or not tensioned properly which would allow the timing to move when turning the engine over
Or a camshaft locking tool was not used and one of the cams rotated, they appear to stay in position without a locking tool but they only have to move a degree or two and the valve spring pressure causes them to rotate violently, this would be enough to bend a valve stem.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fastcarmaniac said:
i think the crank sensor is at the rear of the engine, near the oil filter (will have a check later when I#m out changing the brakes)
Have done a search on here and it suggests the wire that runs down the passenger side of engine is the actual crank sensor so that comfirms that I think, but what are these other two.

Shall check mine to find the other two sensors when I have the cover off next.

·
610 Posts
matchless said:
On the 2.0 the crank sensor is at the front, wire runs up behind the power steering / aircon mounting block, through the cable tray to a connector on left front of engine.

oops, was thinking v6, sorry!

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
matchless said:

Sounds like the cambelt was fitted with the timing marks mis-aligned or not tensioned properly which would allow the timing to move when turning the engine over
Or a camshaft locking tool was not used and one of the cams rotated, they appear to stay in position without a locking tool but they only have to move a degree or two and the valve spring pressure causes them to rotate violently, this would be enough to bend a valve stem.
Thanks for the response matchless come to think of it when I went there i didn't see any signs of locking tool shall mention that to my sister and her bloke later to confirm the garage used one. From reading all the responses on here it could be a number of things you can never tell.

Having been told the 2.0 have four sensors on the front I know of two now but has anyone got any Ideas on the other two.

Thankyou to all for all the posts regarding this issue so far I now have a better understanding of what may have caused the problem. Shall be informing my sister with my findings and so she can take the issue further. watch this space.

·
Registered
314 Posts
2.0 engine sensor locations:

Intake air temperature -- intake pipe
Mass air flow -- intake pipe
Camshaft position -- behind cam belt cover
Crankshaft position -- front of engine behind aircon pump
Coolant temperature -- rear of head, under coil pack
Knock detector --left side of engine, behind inlet manifold

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
matchless said:
2.0 engine sensor locations:

Intake air temperature -- intake pipe
Mass air flow -- intake pipe
Camshaft position -- behind cam belt cover
Crankshaft position -- front of engine behind aircon pump
Coolant temperature -- rear of head, under coil pack
Knock detector --left side of engine, behind inlet manifold
Cheers for the response Matchless Very handy to know as they supposedly changed the crank sensor so thats something to look for.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts