Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I know this isnt really an Omega question, but couldnt really see another area to post this in. Mods, feel free to move this thread to another area. But I was driving my Omega :bust:

Speed cameras on the M25, the ones on the overhead gantries, AFAIK are turned off when the displays are blank....ie no reduced speed restriction.

Yesterday, rushing to get home, I went underneath a gantry, no speed restriction was being displayed and the camera 'flashed' me along with the car infront i was following and at the cars behind me.
Now we wernt going at a silly speed, just a bit over 70mph (indicated, prolly quite a bit less actuall).....and this is the M25.....so your lucky to even get to 70mph esp in rush hour!

The next gantry and quite a few after that were showing max speed 60mph....so we all slowed down for them....no problems there.

So if im right in thinking the cameras are turned off when no speed restriction applies (apart from the 70mph one).....why did this camera 'flash' at me?

I can only think that the gantry in question had a fault with it and wasnt showing the 60mph speed restriction but did have the cameras enabled.

Also AFAIK i thought they had to give you 10% margin, for inaccuracy with your speedo.....so if the limit is 70mph.....you wont get a ticket unless you are doing 78mph or more (actuall speed, not wots being shown on your speedo) , which BTW we wernt.

So if the above is true......then again all i can think of is faulty gantry.

Be interesting to see if I do get a speeding ticket in the post next week.
If I do.....then I'll go to court before paying it! :grrr

Anybody else got thoughts or been caught out with faulty m25 gantries?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Don't know about th M25 gantries, but I have been flashed a few times around London in the past few years, and never actually received a ticket by post - there are many reasons, such as no film in the camera, or the camera being a 'fake' one in the first place, or the picture was not clear enough, or the speeding vehicle was actually the one next/infront/behind me, or maybe they will know that the speed limit display was not working at the time... either way I would wait to see something actually come in the post before getrting worried.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
markjay said:
Don't know about th M25 gantries, but I have been flashed a few times around London in the past few years, and never actually received a ticket by post - there are many reasons, such as no film in the camera, or the camera being a 'fake' one in the first place, or the picture was not clear enough, or the speeding vehicle was actually the one next/infront/behind me, or maybe they will know that the speed limit display was not working at the time... either way I would wait to see something actually come in the post before getrting worried.
Yeah your prolly right.....cheers :Cool2:
Altho i would have thought the gantry ones didnt use film and were electronic....coz i carnt see someone crawling over the gantries with cars whizzing underneath them, just to change film.

I will have to wait to see if anything comes thro' the letterbox and thuds on the doormat.....but then again it might be the new tyres I've just bought off the net :lmao:

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
the M25 gantry cameras are of the old gatso type, which use film. There are ladders fitted, I have gone past them more than once when someone in a high-vis jacket was working behind the cameras, so I assume this was changing the film?

If you don't hear anything in two weeks then you are OK, otherwise they will send you a NIP (Notice of Intention of Prosecution) within that time.

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
that gantry wasnt clock wise near m3 turn off was it, in the outside lane.

Seen that one go off thousands of times, one time me n my partner counted 9 cars that got double flashed in a row and them silly signs wernt on

we were in traffic going the other way

seems a little too over reactive

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dave's.cavy said:
that gantry wasnt clock wise near m3 turn off was it, in the outside lane.

Seen that one go off thousands of times, one time me n my partner counted 9 cars that got double flashed in a row and them silly signs wernt on

we were in traffic going the other way

seems a little too over reactive
Yep that was the one! Hopefully its faulty then and they just ignore it!
Cheers

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds2k said:
the M25 gantry cameras are of the old gatso type, which use film. There are ladders fitted, I have gone past them more than once when someone in a high-vis jacket was working behind the cameras, so I assume this was changing the film?

If you don't hear anything in two weeks then you are OK, otherwise they will send you a NIP (Notice of Intention of Prosecution) within that time.
Ah right....was assuming they'd be electronic....learn summat new eveyday on here! :Cool2:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Taxi Driver said:
Yep that was the one! Hopefully its faulty then and they just ignore it!
Cheers
Whey! Shall we start a club!? I too have been flashed by that same one!!

I got flashed and it was dark, so i noticed it. 40 limit on the gantry, i was doing about 48 ish, so really only doing 44, damn sensative, but 3 cars behind me also got done as well!!

I also saw every car being flashed on it going the other way once too, its rubbish they leave them on too long for the wrong speed. I have been down the m25 with the limit things saying 40, on a clear 6 lane strech! everyone was doing 90+:bust:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Correction - the gantry cams ARE digital.
The guy on the gantry wasn't changing film.
You can tell which gantries have the cams from the T-shape aerial on the LHS of the gantry - which transmits pictures to the hub.
I wouldn't be surprised if the powers that be ignore evidence from the first camera in the limited zone.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
eddieace said:
http://www.5ive-o.com/forum/index.php

theres is a fair few plod on here that are in the MET, they might be able to give you some more feedback!
Thanks for that.....ive taken a look at the site and it does seem very helpful.....if i do get a ticket I will join the forum and ask for advice

Cheers

·
Registered
457 Posts
Taxi Driver said:
But did you get a ticket??
Not yet (touch wood) It was a few weeks ago i got flashed. If i do get one means loads will as nearly everyone got flashed behind me.

Has anyone ever got a ticket from the overhead gantry ones? Partically the clockwise M3 one?

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
have a look here, seems to confirm that the cameras aren't electronic. Perhaps the ones with aerials are for trafficmaster or a similar system?

More to the point, on that page it states that If the camera runs out of film it will enter "dummy mode" whereby it flashes twice to simulate taking 2 photographs (and make the motorist think they have been caught). So being flashed doesn't necessarily mean that you have been caught!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it was a few weeks ago.....then no you wont get one now.....they have 14 days to get it through your letter box.
Cheers

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds2k said:
have a look here, seems to confirm that the cameras aren't electronic. Perhaps the ones with aerials are for trafficmaster or a similar system?

More to the point, on that page it states that If the camera runs out of film it will enter "dummy mode" whereby it flashes twice to simulate taking 2 photographs (and make the motorist think they have been caught). So being flashed doesn't necessarily mean that you have been caught!
True...it also says on that web page, that if there is something wrong with the display, even one bulb not working, it will disable the camera.
Having no speed restriction showing, means a lot of bulbs wernt working!
and yet the camera was still flashing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
457 Posts
personally i think they turn them on to "scare" drivers and slow down the traffic, i do a long commute Jc14-6 in the morning and 6-14 back in the evening, during the winter quite often the displays are set to 40 or 60, and the general flow of traffic has been faster, I have been though many times doing 55mph with the display showing 40mph, and i was just staying with the flow.

The first time i got flashed was a few weeks ago, kinda :turd myself at the time, but if i do ever get anything i will complain like mad!! Cause i could barely be doing 45 in 40 display limit....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts