Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, up to a couple of weeks ago the idle was silky smooth you had a job to here the engine, the rev counter sat rock steady at about 600 rpm, and you couldn't feel the engine running from inside the car.Now the rev counter flutters by about 50 rpm and you can feel the engine running through the seat, steering wheel etc, can anybody shed any light on this.Thanks in advance

R

·
0 Posts
A bit more info Tony please. How is it for power? Fuel consumption? Does it run cold or hot?

Have you done anything to the engine? Ran out of fuel at anytime? Oil change?

Are your rocker covers leaking?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RonaldMcBurger said:
A bit more info Tony please. How is it for power? Fuel consumption? Does it run cold or hot?

Have you done anything to the engine? Ran out of fuel at anytime? Oil change?

Are your rocker covers leaking?
Bit more info, not done any work on the engine or run out of fuel in fact nothing has changed, apart from the lumpy idling:grrr

R

·
0 Posts
Most likley in that case is crankcase breathers. Impending rocker gasket failure too if they are blocked. See my How2. Not a big job. To get the plenum off, if you don't know, follow Rocker cover removal fisrt part by Mark.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Could be a vacuum leak, the egr pipe has been known to come loose on that engine - 3 E10 bolts to the plenum use loctite on them and a new gasket if need be. if it is that - you loose your servo so worth checking. if not the seals under the plenum or the saddle seal under the black adaptor (under the eco tech cover) The German mechanics used to spray what they called wasser/benzine (water/petrol) around that area to find leaks - when they hit the right spot the revs went up. went there loads of times but couldn't find out exactly what it was they used - none of them spoke much english and my german was - well managed to get pissed and eat well I could understand Vow sex kaput - (V6 knackered)

where abouts do you live Tony I'm over the water

kev25v6 said:
maybe try cleaning the idle speed control vaive

·
Registered
226 Posts
Any similar senarios relating to the 2.2 pertol and the EGR valve , i have a slightly rough idle, but cant find anything wrong with the engine !!!

Mark

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
2.2 petrol with rough idlin gis most liekly to be the EGR sticking.

This could also be the case on the V6 in this thread to, its worth trying blanking it off to see if it helps..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Cheers Mark i'll have the bugger off as soon as i can, and give the things a clean with carb cleaner !!! Failing that i'll buy another

Cheers

Mark

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I think I've got an idle like yours Tony H.

With the climate off the idle is around 500rpm but the needle moves about a little. You can feel the idle through the seat. I thought that was probably normal.

Car has a small vibration through the gearstick but otherwise runs absolutely fine.

ICV is spotless - I've cleaned it 3 times. Plugs are new.
Cam timing is spot on.
Breathers are clear.

L

·
0 Posts
How is it with the climate on?

And why do people insist on turning the climate off?
It is on by default for a reason, and no, it does not affect mpg significantly. :)

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
The idle is a bit better with the climate on and sits at 700rpm. Still can feel the idle though.

I turn the climate off 'cause I'm tight and at this time of year I don't need the air con. When stationary it changes the instant fuel consumption from 0.3 gallons/hour to 0.2 gallons/hour - a significant reduction !!!

I do run the air con say once a week to keep the system lubed.

L

·
0 Posts
Hmmm, should sit at around 600rpm. Any noise from the compressor?

Lumpy idle is usually only going to be caused by one of the following.

Vacuum leak
Air leak on intake (unmetered air)
Sticking idle control valve or not seated tightly (see air leak)
Ignition problem, ie plugs, leads, dis pack.

I would say methodically check each one, in the order listed.

Oh, and climate is a lot more advanced the just being air con, and it is very useful in winter/damp conditions. :)

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I think on mine (2.5) it is supposed to sit at 500 rpm ECO and 700 rpm with climate on. I'm fairly sure I saw that in the handbook or somewhere fairly similar.

No leaks on the air intake, but perhaps a leak somewhere else.

When I say lumpy idle I mean more of a vibration than an erratic idle. It's always been a bit rougher than I would have expected. Like somethings not quite balanced right. It runs and pulls just fine, it revs sweet as a nut. It's just a bit vibey!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
This is exaclty the same as mine!

Was OK until I pulled it apart to sort a coolant leak... I took this opportunity to clean the IAV but since its back together the idle is worse...

Its an vibrating idle that you can feel through the car...

Any ideas?

R

·
0 Posts
Sussed it. I have had lumpy running on mine all week since I did the breathers. Runs fine, just ticks over a bit lumpy.

With nothing better to do today I took the plenum off, like you do. Checked all gaskets, seals joints. Put back together.

On mine the EGR threads are still stripped, so it isn't that tight at the moment. Listening carefully I could hear a slight whistle from the joint. A bit of black sealant around the EGR to plenum joint and no whistling, plus smooth idle restored again.

Dave was right, unmetered air getting in!

Worth checking guys. I will rethread my plenum next week, then a new gasket for that before I get rid of the barge. Then again, maybe I will kepp it. No its going....or is it?

R

·
0 Posts
Sorry mate. Erm, only noticed on tickover and it was more 'hunting' between 400rpm and 700rpm at unpredictable moments. A bit horrible in an auto! No vibration though.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Cheers Finley, which leads me on to my EGR questions.

How do you know if you have EGR problems? I have no EMS light on but my EGR is pretty noisy (sounds like a moped) and spits water from cold and black stuff when warm from the plate type affair... Sure this aint normal...?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts