Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back around March time I bought a cheap 'Streetline' suspension kit, which lowered the car about 40mm. It has been a massive improvement on the standard suspension and I was well happy with it, well apart from the fact the back was clearly higher than the front.

So after a few months I got around to buying a -60mm Apex spring kit, and all I wanted was to put those on the back to replace the -40mm ones on I already had on.

However - after doing so the car now is higher at the rear than it was before - has anyone got any ideas why? will their be a period of 'settling down'?

Any ideas at all? (p.s. I've only just put them on tonight).

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
Back around March time I bought a cheap 'Streetline' suspension kit, which lowered the car about 40mm. It has been a massive improvement on the standard suspension and I was well happy with it, well apart from the fact the back was clearly higher than the front.

So after a few months I got around to buying a -60mm Apex spring kit, and all I wanted was to put those on the back to replace the -40mm ones on I already had on.

However - after doing so the car now is higher at the rear than it was before - has anyone got any ideas why? will their be a period of 'settling down'?

Any ideas at all? (p.s. I've only just put them on tonight).
if i remeber right they need time to settle, have a look in the morning they should be ok by then

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm phoned Venom Motorsport to check the code of the springs I recieved and they confirmed they were the -60mm ones I ordered - not being convinced at all, I had a look on the Apex website:

Code:
Vectra A excl. 2000 & V6 A, A-CC 88 / 95 60-8000 35 mm
http://www.apexsuspension.com/gb/index.php?style=springs&page=springs_catalogue

Is what I found. The code on the side of the box I recieved has 60-8000-m on it.

I've now sent an email to Apex asking whether the kit I have is the correct one and now await a reply :think

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
I see - Apex list these springs as a -35mm drop; could explain why the back is higher than the -40mm springs you had on before!

They don't list -60mm springs for the Cav (Opel Vectra A)

Lowering the back end of the later Cavs with the beam axle is often a problem - mainly because they're getting on a bit now so the original springs would probably have sagged a bit, so lowering springs could possibly have the effect of raising the vehicle. You're on the right track going for -60mm springs at the back; I suspect the springs you have now might not be -60mm springs based on the Apex catalogue :think

Hope you get this sorted.

In case you're interested (!) I have Eibach springs on mine - they're -35mm (I think) and have been fitted for 3 years with no sign of any deterioration in performance; they even look new, not corroded at all. My rear end looks slightly higher than the front but the car appears to sit level (when looking along the sill).

I'd recommend Eibach springs to anyone - they're not the cheapest, but you do tend to have to pay for quality! They used to do -60mm springs as well :Cool2:

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
I had this same problem with the G-Max suspension I put on my Cav. The arse was nearly standard height and the front was on the road!

I bought a set of Spax 50mm springs instead, and now all is well.

·
Premium Member
31,467 Posts
After experiencing lowering problems with my silver Cav GSi (being too low) i decided to take Marc's advice, and went for custom made -25mm springs from HERE My Koni TA kit springs were meant to only lower by -35, but in actual fact were more like -60mm, which was too low for my TXB. Also, when i had the Koni springs fitted, my chassis got crushed upon hitting a pothole on the M6:mad:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear Maurice,

We do not have 60 mm spring kits, only SP kit which include dampers.
If you look under SP on our website, you will find this kits. Spring kits
are only up to 35mm.

Best regards,

Franco Dieters
Productmanager
APEX Suspension Systems
Well at least that sorts that out. Now I'll have to get onto Venom to see what they can do.

To be honest I wanted it lower, but the fact the Apex springs are of better quality and go down less, it seems to have given the back end a harder feel and the passenger side arch doesn't seem to catch anymore over hard bumps.

Might just complain a bit and see where it gets me :beer:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just been on the phone to Venom and he was trying to tell me that they'll be -60mm from standard and with mine being an Sri that will be the reason it's raised from the -40mm ones, which ofcourse must mean my old springs were 65mm lowering springs then?- WTF? :mmmm

Then he said they'll take a few weeks to 'bed in' at which point I was starting to get a bit annoyed as I was having no joy whatsoever and I asked how I went about sending them back.

So once they're off the car, they'll go back and I'll start again - happy days.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts