Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
8,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on lowering my car 40mm and will be fitting new shocks too but what I wanted to know is would I need uprated shocks or would standard replacement shocks be suitable still for 40mm??

·
Jeff fa faaa
8,454 Posts
mines dropped by 40mm and the shox and springs were replaced..
And you already know that now don't ya..:lmao:

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
I dropped my calibra 40mm just on springs and had no problems at all. I dont believe that that you also need shocks with that drop

·
totally addicted to cavs
492 Posts
ive heard alot of stories of standard shocks wearing out much quicker when used with lower springs- do both is what ive always been told

hth

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'll be replacing all 4 shocks tomorrow along with 40mm springs. Reason to why im changing the shocks is because mine are shagged as it is, if i was to leave them i'd have to replace them soon anyway. You can lower 40mm with standard type shocks although i'm gonna use KYB's

·
15,300 Posts
You might need a rear camber kit too.
I know its not 4x4, but it may make it bad enough to wear the inner edge and look like its sitting on the piss

·
I Eat Speed
666 Posts
I'm only using lowered 40mm springs and standard shocks, no problems. Corners better than it did with standard springs so can't moan.

I know it's placing more stress on the shocks but seeing as mine weren't leaking at all during MOT time i might as well wear them out until they're dead then get lowered shocks. Splits the bill up for the lowering as well :lmao:

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Garage I was at today said standard shocks on 35mm is fine so I assume 40mm wouldnt add much more stress

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
If you fit NEW standard but fairly decent shocks with your new springs it will be fine.

On the TD I fitted Gmax springs and new standard monroe gas dampers. It was, and still is, fine:up:

It is fitting new lowering springs with old shockers that will be crap- you will only have to strip it all down again to fit new dampers.

However, fitting a full matching kit is better, and if you can get one at trade price, I would personally go for that.;)

·
Banned
8,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you fit NEW standard but fairly decent shocks with your new springs it will be fine.

On the TD I fitted Gmax springs and new standard monroe gas dampers. It was, and still is, fine:up:

It is fitting new lowering springs with old shockers that will be crap- you will only have to strip it all down again to fit new dampers.

However, fitting a full matching kit is better, and if you can get one at trade price, I would personally go for that.;)
I am fitting brand new shocks anyway, guess when I get a spare minute soon at work I'll see what sort of things I can get through work :cool:

·
Banned
3,233 Posts
You might need a rear camber kit too.
I know its not 4x4, but it may make it bad enough to wear the inner edge and look like its sitting on the piss
Trailing rear beam on V6, so rear geometry does not change regardless of ride height.

Lowering a rear beam Cav 40-50mm is perfect because you get about an extra 1.5 degree negative camber on front, and rear camber stays correct. This is ideal geometry for road use, no camber bolts to setup, it's one fit and forget.

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Yes Jason but look what he drives!

Calibras have IRS;)

Personally I wouldn't bother with a rear camber kit to start with, just keep an eye on your tyres and if they start to wear on the inner edges, get a camber kit then. You might be lucky and the wear might be so slight you don't need to bother. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts