Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I realise that this is a long while ago now, but did you sort the problem and if so what was it??
My 2012 Insignia does this and only on cold mornings!
I've just joined forum and can tell you no oid pressure on start up on cold mornings is the seal between the oil pick up in the sump and the oil pump in the block going brittle and needs changing before you damage engine. Just done mine as happened once last winter and when is happened again this winter didnt use car until changed seal. Car is 2011 and has done 150,000 miles.
Seal is just £11 but a major job to change but can be done by DIYer. Good video on YouTube.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
The engine isn't knocking, thankfully. Though it consumes oil a lot, like I top up half a litre after every 100miles or so.
The engine sounds well worn. If it was mine I would try using a thicker grade of oil, which might help reduce the oil consumption as well.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Currently using 20w50. Should I go thicker?
That's about the thickest you will get off the shelf, I would think. On older cars years ago, I've used something like STP oil treatment in the engine, and been sucessful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, oil treatments. Have being toying with the idea of using it but I'm always scared. Heard different stories about it from people. Some good, some not so good. But adding oil treatment in a 20w50. Hmmm. Even though we have very high temperatures here, but still... Might give it a try.

·
11,795 Posts
The old Minis used to use 20W50 and I used STP oil treatment on more than one of them with no issues.

·
Premium Member
13,271 Posts
As it sounds like your engine is on it's last legs, I'd give the STP or similar a try. 20w 50 is thick oil. Although the wife's Abarth 500 uses 10W50 (not cheap oil), surprisingly. Sips a little too, around 1/4 of a litre every month, has done so from a year old, when we bought it. Fortunately it's not increased, but it costs around £30 for 2 litres. Mine with the same engine as yours, uses no oil between changes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You’ll damage your turbocharger as well as finish the engine off with that grade of oil.
Modern engines use thinner oils due to smaller tolerances such as oil ways & galleries etc.
That's the dilemma we face here re engine oil. The climate here (Africa) is hot, with temperatures running as high as 40° during the heat season, while the cold months (winter over there) are short - two or three months max - and the temp rarely gets below 15°. So you feel a 5w30 or 10w30 may not protect the engine well in such extreme conditions. We could be wrong but over 70% of cars use the 20w50 grade of oil, especially older cars. It's the adopted oil grade for most people here . And remember most of these Opel cars come to us second-hand, so they aren't new engines.

·
Super Moderator
25,395 Posts
That's the dilemma we face here re engine oil. The climate here (Africa) is hot, with temperatures running as high as 40° during the heat season, while the cold months (winter over there) are short - two or three months max - and the temp rarely gets below 15°. So you feel a 5w30 or 10w30 may not protect the engine well in such extreme conditions. We could be wrong but over 70% of cars use the 20w50 grade of oil, especially older cars. It's the adopted oil grade for most people here . And remember most of these Opel cars come to us second-hand, so they aren't new engines.
Is that grade of oil fully synthetic low ash for the DPF ?

·
Super Moderator
25,395 Posts
Right according to the owners manual from the factory you should only use Dexos 2 oil of either 5W30 or 5W40 ( down to minus 25 ) or 0W30 or 0W40 ( below minus 25 ) no mention of using an oil of the thickness of 20W50 on the common rail turbocharged Diesel engines.
As you know the first figure followed by the W tells you the low temperature viscosity & the 2nd figure tells you it’s high temperature viscosity.
Within those figure of each oils viscosity the quality of oil is more important than the viscosity , so either of the stated oil grades above would be safe to use without causing long term engine damage.
One time use of ACEA C3 is allowed between oil changes.
Only oil meeting Dexos 2 is recommended or use of the long life GM oil GM-LL-B-025.
No mention whatsoever of ever using a 20W50 in this engine no matter how high the temperature the engine operates in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is that grade of oil fully synthetic low ash for the DPF ?
1) No, it's not a synthetic oil. Not fully, not even partial. Only the 5w30 or 10w40 are synthetic. See the dilemma?

2) Most cars are petrol engines. You hardly, if ever, come across a diesel engine car.. only heavy duty vehicles and some few specialized vehicles are diesel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Right according to the owners manual from the factory you should only use Dexos 2 oil of either 5W30 or 5W40 ( down to minus 25 ) or 0W30 or 0W40 ( below minus 25 ) no mention of using an oil of the thickness of 20W50 on the common rail turbocharged Diesel engines.
As you know the first figure followed by the W tells you the low temperature viscosity & the 2nd figure tells you it’s high temperature viscosity.
Within those figure of each oils viscosity the quality of oil is more important than the viscosity , so either of the stated oil grades above would be safe to use without causing long term engine damage.
One time use of ACEA C3 is allowed between oil changes.
Only oil meeting Dexos 2 is recommended or use of the long life GM oil GM-LL-B-025.
No mention whatsoever of ever using a 20W50 in this engine no matter how high the temperature the engine operates in.
I understand that, thank you. You said something important, which is the most important thing about the oil is its quality not viscosity. I would switch to a 5w40 or 10w40 fully synthetic when I eventually replace the engine. I think it would be a waste start using that oil on this worn out engine. Let me kill it first

BTW, it's a petrol engine, not diesel engine. Most cars here are petrol engines. You hardly, if ever, come across a diesel engine car.. only heavy duty vehicles and some few specialized vehicles are diesel.

·
Super Moderator
25,395 Posts
I understand that, thank you. You said something important, which is the most important thing about the oil is its quality not viscosity. I would switch to a 5w40 or 10w40 fully synthetic when I eventually replace the engine. I think it would be a waste start using that oil on this worn out engine. Let me kill it first

BTW, it's a petrol engine, not diesel engine. Most cars here are petrol engines. You hardly, if ever, come across a diesel engine car.. only heavy duty vehicles and some few specialized vehicles are diesel.
Ok on that basis your safe to use 10w40 engine oil.
What’s threw me is that this thread is for the Diesel engine Insignia not the petrol engines.

·
Worn Out Member
5,164 Posts
Bloody hell this really illustrates why it's a bad idea to tag on to an old thread,
petrol/diesel,confused,who cares :rolleyes: :whistle:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts