Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My mum has the current shape automatic Astra on mobility, haven't had chance to drive it yet, but I'm round hers tomorrow while waiting for my car to be done, so might have to find an excuse to borrow it and go for a little drive hehe

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes they are nice looking cars, maybe why I like the Kia Cee'd very similar shape to the Astra. Maybe Kia bought the design from Vauxhall and tweaked it a little who knows. Can't say I have had any electrical issues. Unless you can class the failed regens I had right at the start of owning the insignia as electrical.

True, at first glance you'd think the Kia Cee'd is the Astra K. Even the Focus ecoboost look a bit similar in design. It's a question of who bought or borrowed the design from who?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
True, at first glance you'd think the Kia Cee'd is the Astra K. Even the Focus ecoboost look a bit similar in design. It's a question of who bought or borrowed the design from who?
Yes very true, I have to walk past a Vauxhall and Kia showroom on my way to my Mums today whilst the car is in the garage it's going to take all my energy to stop myself from popping in haha

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Haha no, I was tempted, and as I walked past, a car transporter full of Kia Cee'd pulled up, it was like **** haha

Completely wasted the day by taking it to the garage I thought I could trust. The car was in the exact same place I left it at 7.30am at diner time. To then be told after he said the other day over the phone he would get it in straight away he could not do the work today,

Would using the wrong oil, cause a intermittent 'low oil pressure' warning.

·
Premium Member
13,271 Posts
Haha no, I was tempted, and as I walked past, a car transporter full of Kia Cee'd pulled up, it was like **** haha

Completely wasted the day by taking it to the garage I thought I could trust. The car was in the exact same place I left it at 7.30am at diner time. To then be told after he said the other day over the phone he would get it in straight away he could not do the work today,

Would using the wrong oil, cause a intermittent 'low oil pressure' warning.

I doubt it, unless it was something like 20w50 from a cold start, as it's thick. I'd of thought any 5w 30 would work ok. Although I'm no expert. Obviously Dexos 2 is recommended, all I ever use. More probable diesel ingress into the oil, caused the hardening of the seal.
May just also be the age of the seal, as it seems to effect most engines that have covered 100k plus, but not all.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Sorry should of been more specific. I mean if semi synthetic is used instead of fully synthetic. Guilty party right here......... I mistakingly put semi in last time I did the oil change. Not a single low oil pressure warning since it was topped up with fully synthetic. Makes you wonder, if nothing else

Car is booked in to another garage on Monday, for full investigative work after todays fiasco!!!

The mechanic today seemed to think he had to drop the full engine............. Erm, I'm also no expert but isnt it just a case of removing the offside driveshaft............. Think I've dodged a bullet with this mechanic.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Had opcom/vauxcom plugged in this afternoon, engine off it reads

Oil pressure switch - Low

When the engine is running it reads

Oil pressure switch - OK

Will it always say 'low' when the engine is not running?

·
Worn Out Member
5,164 Posts
Had opcom/vauxcom plugged in this afternoon, engine off it reads

Oil pressure switch - Low

When the engine is running it reads

Oil pressure switch - OK

Will it always say 'low' when the engine is not running?

Yes it will always say low when it's not running,there are only the two options available on opcom (LOW or OK)

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yes it will always say low when it's not running,there are only the two options available on opcom (LOW or OK)
Thought so. Trip to the mechanic in the morning. Hopefully attach some sort of pressure sensor if such a thing exists. And hopefully it's not raining.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just been browsing the forums, noticed this and thought I'd add a little of my experience which may or may not be of help.
I had similar on my Insignia 2.0 CDTI 2010 where the oil pressure light would be lit for 3 to 7 seconds when started first thing in the morning (morning temperature outside was approx 15 to 17C so wasn’t particularly cold). I also wondered why the fault was intermittent.

While I arranged for the seal to be replaced and to try to satisfy my curiosity, I experimented over a week...ish and it gave a bit of an indicator that it was indeed the seal at fault:
I parked it on the road in the direction of travel. Next morning the oil light came on.
Then I parked it on the same side of the road but this time facing against the direction of travel and the next morning, the oil light didn’t come on. Repeated this the next day.
Turned the car again in the direction of travel and the next morning, the oil light came on.
Turned it back against the direction of travel and left it for 3 days before starting it. No oil light came on.

So as a result of that, to stop the oil pressure light coming on (for UK roads);
Park the car on the road in the direction of travel, with the passenger side on the kerb.
Or
Park the car wholly on the road but against the direction of travel.
Either way, so that the driver’s side is noticeably lower than the passenger side (for drainage, the road’s camber is higher in the middle than near the gutters).
The oil seal should still be changed though, as the pump may be drawing in air when the engine is running.

I figure (although I could be wrong) that when I’m against the direction of travel, the camber of the road makes the driver’s side of the car lower, thus the oil is pooled to the right side of the sump where it completely covers the oil pickup seal. When parked in the direction of travel, the oil pools to the left side of the sump, exposing the pickup seal to the air which then eventually allows oil to very slowly drain from the pump.

This is probably similar to when you sink a glass in a bowl of water, invert it and raise the filled glass out of the water enough so that the lip is just below the surface. At that point, the glass will still be full of water. As soon as the lip of the glass breaks the surface, the water escapes.

Ps The Keighley chap does it for approx £200 (I think any type except 4wd) and if necessary, drills for access. He’s had so many he knows exactly what needs to be done. My local Vauxhall dealer “thought” he may have done one a few years ago. For such a known fault, I wasn’t inspired but then maybe it hasn’t filtered through to the dealers from Vauxhall.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts