Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Can the oil pump and pick up seal be done when the cam belt is removed / replaced? Altho the mechanic has said its between £200 - £400 I'm not looking forward to Thursday in the slightest. I don't want any nasty surprises.

Shame this didn't happen around August / Sept next year cos that's when the finance is fully paid off and we plan to get rid. Would've just traded it in. Finance company want top dollar still to pay it off early!! Extortion at its finest!! (at least D i c k Turpin wore a mask)

As mentioned in an earlier post I'll update on Thursday as to what the problem is/was and the bill

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
Can the oil pump and pick up seal be done when the cam belt is removed / replaced? Altho the mechanic has said its between £200 - £400 I'm not looking forward to Thursday in the slightest. I don't want any nasty surprises.

Shame this didn't happen around August / Sept next year cos that's when the finance is fully paid off and we plan to get rid. Would've just traded it in. Finance company want top dollar still to pay it off early!! Extortion at its finest!! (at least D i c k Turpin wore a mask)

As mentioned in an earlier post I'll update on Thursday as to what the problem is/was and the bill

From what I can gather it's no less of a job changing the seal whilst you are on with the cambelt. As the sump needs to come off, not so with the cambelt. Also I own an auto, not as labour intensive as a manual either when changing the seal. I will keep up with regular oil changes though, most my regens when started are completed too, as I fitted my own led dpf indication light. Which makes things a bit easier when spotting a Regen.

·
Super Moderator
14,499 Posts
Not a cheap job then, although potentially cheaper than a new engine though. From what you are saying it sounds like it's the seal causing the issue, rather than your oil level being low. Unfortunately sometimes with used cars we get sucked into costly repairs.
As my car at the moment is running well, don't think I'll change the oil pick up seal for now, just have the cambelt/water pump changed.
thats it, ya jinkst it now saying that :whistle:

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
When I first got the car I wasn't aware of the dpf, didn't know what it was nor what it did. So quite a few failed regens and a few blockages resulting in trips to the garage in limp mode or a call out to the AA to get a forced regen done.

I bought the diagnostic kit from koicarpkeeper and managed a forced regen a couple of times myself. I then discovered the led bulb trick and fitted it. Very sceptical at 1st. It cost 99p off ebay and has saved an absolute fortune. However as I understand a failed regen results in diesel fuel being dumped into the sump, probably starting the degeneration of the seal and eventually getting to the point we find ourselves in now.

Oh well. Roll on next September, think I'll stay away from Diesels, really like the Kia Cee'd or a Focus Ecoboost. The wife wants a Mondeo Titanium, but a little expensive and out of budget unless we buy a high mileage.

·
13,718 Posts
Why sell it at the end of the finance?
Do you prefer being in debt?

Reactions: Boroboy and andy_v

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Why sell it at the end of the finance?
Do you prefer being in debt?
Because the car is costing more than its worth, I'm reluctant to have the seal done but to be honest I don't really have a choice nor the money to have to put a new engine in it.

As I said in a previous post if I worked out how much I'd paid on the car over the years I couldve prob gone out and bought a decent car and still had change.

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
thats it, ya jinkst it now saying that :whistle:
Hope not:ROFLMAO:Must be a record for me, 6 months & not one issue?(y)
When I first got the car I wasn't aware of the dpf, didn't know what it was nor what it did. So quite a few failed regens and a few blockages resulting in trips to the garage in limp mode or a call out to the AA to get a forced regen done.

I bought the diagnostic kit from koicarpkeeper and managed a forced regen a couple of times myself. I then discovered the led bulb trick and fitted it. Very sceptical at 1st. It cost 99p off ebay and has saved an absolute fortune. However as I understand a failed regen results in diesel fuel being dumped into the sump, probably starting the degeneration of the seal and eventually getting to the point we find ourselves in now.

Oh well. Roll on next September, think I'll stay away from Diesels, really like the Kia Cee'd or a Focus Ecoboost. The wife wants a Mondeo Titanium, but a little expensive and out of budget unless we buy a high mileage.

I'd keep off the 1.0t ecoboost too. Poor on fuel & has had it's issues. I owned a 1.0t Fiesta for a while with that engine, wasn't impressed with the mpg. I've also owned an Astra K 1.0t too. Personally I'll be staying off 3 pot turbos, they're not as smooth as a 4 cylinder turbo either. The Kia Cee'd would be a good choice if you are looking for reliability and 7 years warranty too. A neighbour has a diesel one, owned it from new, now 7 years old. Apart from general servicing & brakes, it's been 100% reliable. I was very impressed with the 1.6d Astra K I also previously owned for a yaer, until the timing chain/tensioner started to rattle during start up. Common issue with these engines and over a grand to change, along with the oil pump & chain. As you have to drop the engine to change one. There's a lot of cars out there that can have issues, not just Vauxhalls. I also think if a manufacturer was prepared to to a long warranty to their cars from new, that's a good sign of general build quality. Knowing what I know now about dpf equipped diesels, I certainly wouldn't buy one with over 100k on it with a view of keeping it a while. Unless you are looking for big potential repair bills. New cars are also expensive to fix, as they're stuffed with tec now. So a long warranty would be a good idea.
As long as my Astra J 2.0 cdti elite auto is not costing me a lot of money on repair bills, I'll keep it. As you & I know, you can get sucked into costly repairs, it's knowing when to quit & move on. It's not always cheaper in the long run, running an older car. Just that the bills don't always come together. It's ironic really, as diesels were designed to cover big mileages, I think as soon as they slapped the dpf's on, the issues started.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hope notMust be a record for me, 6 months & not one issue(y)

I'd keep off the 1.0t ecoboost too. Poor on fuel & has had it's issues. I owned a 1.0t Fiesta for a while with that engine, wasn't impressed with the mpg. I've also owned an Astra K 1.0t too. Personally I'll be staying off 3 pot turbos, they're not as smooth as a 4 cylinder turbo either. The Kia Cee'd would be a good choice if you are looking for reliability and 7 years warranty too. A neighbour has a diesel one, owned it from new, now 7 years old. Apart from general servicing & brakes, it's been 100% reliable. I was very impressed with the 1.6d Astra K I also previously owned for a yaer, until the timing chain/tensioner started to rattle during start up. Common issue with these engines and over a grand to change, along with the oil pump & chain. As you have to drop the engine to change one. There's a lot of cars out there that can have issues, not just Vauxhalls. I also think if a manufacturer was prepared to to a long warranty to their cars from new, that's a good sign of general build quality. Knowing what I know now about dpf equipped diesels, I certainly wouldn't buy one with over 100k on it with a view of keeping it a while. Unless you are looking for big potential repair bills. New cars are also expensive to fix, as they're stuffed with tec now. So a long warranty would be a good idea.
As long as my Astra J 2.0 cdti elite auto is not costing me a lot of money on repair bills, I'll keep it. As you & I know, you can get sucked into costly repairs, it's knowing when to quit & move on. It's not always cheaper in the long run, running an older car. Just that the bills don't always come together. It's ironic really, as diesels were designed to cover big mileages, I think as soon as they slapped the dpf's on, the issues started.
I would of thought a 1.0 ecoboost would be excellent on fuel, but if not I'll steer clear, having said that I ran an insurance quote on a focus eco a few weeks ago, and it came back more expensive than a 1.6 Cee'd

Yes the Cee'd is a nice look motor, and as you say if the manufacturer are prepared to put a 7 year warranty on each car, it shows they are well built. Knowing my luck tho I'll end up with a money pit like I have now haha

When I bought my insignia I think it was around 85,000 miles on the clock, which was high for the year but with it being a Diesel I fully believed the engine was just getting warm so to speak. Had I known about the dpf before I bought it I probably would of either steered clear or opted for a petrol version.

Oh well, cars in the garage tomorrow, roughly how long would it take a trained mechanic to do, I'm guessing 3-4 hours work?

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
I would of thought a 1.0 ecoboost would be excellent on fuel, but if not I'll steer clear, having said that I ran an insurance quote on a focus eco a few weeks ago, and it came back more expensive than a 1.6 Cee'd

Yes the Cee'd is a nice look motor, and as you say if the manufacturer are prepared to put a 7 year warranty on each car, it shows they are well built. Knowing my luck tho I'll end up with a money pit like I have now haha

When I bought my insignia I think it was around 85,000 miles on the clock, which was high for the year but with it being a Diesel I fully believed the engine was just getting warm so to speak. Had I known about the dpf before I bought it I probably would of either steered clear or opted for a petrol version.

Oh well, cars in the garage tomorrow, roughly how long would it take a trained mechanic to do, I'm guessing 3-4 hours work?

I don't think any of the 1.0t's are great in fuel, as soon as you put your foot down, your mpg figures drop. Although they are fun to drive.
Regards to labour on the seal change, I'm not sure, bit I don't think you are too far off.
If you are looking for a reliable car, look at what taxi drivers use. Around my neck of the woods it's mainly Octavia 1.6 or 2.0d's. I know of one fella whom has ran his up to 500k?
I'm on 44k with my current Astra, most I've done with the 2.0cdti was 65k on a previous Astra. I managed to get a new auto box replaced under vaux warranty at 60k and a new heater control module at under 60k.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeh alot around here in Liverpool use the Octavia, or VW passats. I want something smaller to be honest though. We needed the insignia sized car for our 3 Kids all needing car seats, 1 of which now doesn't need 1 so can afford to go smaller. Smaller car, smaller engine, better fuel consumption. Well in theory anyway.

The garage open at 7.30ish in the morning so going to get it there for then, hopefully have it back by lunchtime. With a much lighter bank balance as it gets closer I'm dreading it more and more, begging for no nasty surprises, might get him to pop my egr cooler cover on whilst he's working in the car seeing as I haven't got round to that yet

·
Super Moderator
26,859 Posts
Hope not:ROFLMAO:Must be a record for me, 6 months & not one issue?(y)

Ford have just paid out on a law suit in the US over their dry clutch automatic DPS6 gearboxes fitted into 2012/2016 year models Fiesta & Focus.
Fords Engineering team told the bosses of the flaws with the box struggling with heat related issues leading to early failure.
Extended warranty’s has been issued by Ford.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
Ford have just paid out on a law suit in the US over their dry clutch automatic DPS6 gearboxes fitted into 2012/2016 year models Fiesta & Focus.
Fords Engineering team told the bosses of the flaws with the box struggling with heat related issues leading to early failure.
Must be their power shift auto box, truly an awful box, having owned one once. The worst auto I've ever used. Ford's version of a dsg box I think. Dry duel clutch set up. No where near as smooth as a dsg in my experience.

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
Yeh alot around here in Liverpool use the Octavia, or VW passats. I want something smaller to be honest though. We needed the insignia sized car for our 3 Kids all needing car seats, 1 of which now doesn't need 1 so can afford to go smaller. Smaller car, smaller engine, better fuel consumption. Well in theory anyway.

The garage open at 7.30ish in the morning so going to get it there for then, hopefully have it back by lunchtime. With a much lighter bank balance as it gets closer I'm dreading it more and more, begging for no nasty surprises, might get him to pop my egr cooler cover on whilst he's working in the car seeing as I haven't got round to that yet

There's the Rapid, I think they're a bit of an ugly duck tnough:ROFLMAO:, suspension is a bit stiff too. The Leon is not a bad motor either using VW's engine and transmission.
I had a new Octavia 2.0t as a courtesy car for two weeks. Lovely engine and 7 speed very smooth dsg box. A bit thirsty, as could be expected. You could sleep in the boot, massive. I found the ride a bit stiff too, but that's probably down to personal preference. Think it had 45's on it, 50's probably a better choice. Wasn't much that would keep up with it though:LOL:

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
My brother in law had an auto Focus last year, maybe the year before which always had problems with the gear change. Was always having to put it in the Ford garage to get sorted. It never did. They ended up getting rid and buying an awful looking Renault Captur (Motorpoint Boomarang deal I think) apparently they needed something bigger. Not sure if they meant interior space or height. Definately didn't get bigger interior space.

I have got to admit I do like Vauxhall, the new Astras are gorgeous, especially the GTC but I have always liked Vauxhall, but the amount of problems I've had with the insignia I am a little put off buying another Vauxhall, maybe just bad luck with our car, I could get another Astra and never have an issue with it, we had an Astra a few years ago, think it was a V reg. We absolutely loved it, and it never let us down. We got rid as a friend of ours (who had money coming out of his ears and burning a hole in his pocket) bought us a 2nd hand Cityrover, I regretted the day I accepted that heap of **** and got rid of the Astra. But by the time we realised what we had been given, it was too late, the Astra had gone.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yes they are nice looking cars, maybe why I like the Kia Cee'd very similar shape to the Astra. Maybe Kia bought the design from Vauxhall and tweaked it a little who knows. Can't say I have had any electrical issues. Unless you can class the failed regens I had right at the start of owning the insignia as electrical.

·
Super Moderator
26,859 Posts
My brother in law had an auto Focus last year, maybe the year before which always had problems with the gear change. Was always having to put it in the Ford garage to get sorted. It never did. They ended up getting rid and buying an awful looking Renault Captur (Motorpoint Boomarang deal I think) apparently they needed something bigger. Not sure if they meant interior space or height. Definately didn't get bigger interior space.

I have got to admit I do like Vauxhall, the new Astras are gorgeous, especially the GTC but I have always liked Vauxhall, but the amount of problems I've had with the insignia I am a little put off buying another Vauxhall, maybe just bad luck with our car, I could get another Astra and never have an issue with it, we had an Astra a few years ago, think it was a V reg. We absolutely loved it, and it never let us down. We got rid as a friend of ours (who had money coming out of his ears and burning a hole in his pocket) bought us a 2nd hand Cityrover, I regretted the day I accepted that heap of **** and got rid of the Astra. But by the time we realised what we had been given, it was too late, the Astra had gone.

This is why i do my homework on any car I’m interested in before buying.

·
Premium Member
15,170 Posts
On the positive side, Astra J's are cheaper to buy used than a Kia Ceed. You can buy an Astra K at around half their original selling price once they've took their big depreciation hit at around 2-3 years old.
I see vauxhalls to be average with regards to their reliability, against other brands. Obviously you pay a bit more for VW's, Skoda's, Seat's etc.
We'll have to see how the Astra K fairs when it first arrives no doubt in around 2021. I'd imagine that one of PSA's engine line ups would be their 1.2t, maybe some elec cars too.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts