Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I know this question has been asked numourous times but I'm going to ask anyway. Getting a low oil pressure warning on the dash, I know from other posts this is usually down to the oil pickup seal, however the warning only pops on just long enough to read it then disappears. And is not seen again for the rest of the day which surely if it was the pickup seal it'd flag up whenever the car had been off for a few hours then started again?

Anyone know the average cost of having it replaced. I'm guessing it's not a cheap job, and looking at the video tutorial it looks like something I'd rather leave to a mechanic.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,613 Posts
Average price is around £450 at a good independent who’s tackled it before , however be careful the wear from low oil pressure may have started to do some damage already .

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In all honesty, not so sure the car is worth spending that sort of money on it anymore. Its high mileage, 2009. So maybe time to get rid and find something else. (quite like the Kia C'eed) just need to talk the Mrs round haha

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really really don't get this..............
Checked the oil in the car yesterday after believing the oil level was fine, to discover it was actually low. So topped up with about 3 quarters of a small 1ltr bottle of oil. Thought nothing more of it.

This morning I popped out to the car before the Mrs went to work as I haven't got round to sorting the water leak. (previous post) anyway, started the car, and 'low oil pressure' popped up on the dash again, after about 20 seconds of starting the engine. But literally flashed up for a split second, and went back off.

I'm no expert and don't pretend to be. But if it was the pickup seal, wouldn't it flag up 'low oil pressure' everytime the car is started from cold, oil also looks to circulating around the engine when removing the oil cap. (the car sits in an office carpark for 7 hours a day)

Also, could something as simple as needing an oil change cause the low oil pressure warning. As at my last mot I was advised it needed 1

·
13,330 Posts
You can try an oil change but the longer you delay getting the seal changed the greater the risk of the engine going bang.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can try an oil change but the longer you delay getting the seal changed the greater the risk of the engine going bang.
Yeh I know, sorry. Call it denial if you like. I know it probably is the seal that needs doing but in a way also hoping it's not. As said in a previous post, I don't believe the car is worth the money it's going to cost to replace the seal.

I could do it myself, with alot of guidance from the Internet/youtube, the only fear I have with doing it myself is removing the driveshaft, the rest looks pretty straight forward. Plus it'll take alot longer than it would if I paid someone.

Been on the phone to a mechanic this morning who I'm waiting to call me back with a price, then take it from there I suppose.

·
Premium Member
11,102 Posts
Try a mobile mechanic, he has less overheads plus he'll do it at your home, on your drive or garage if you have one.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Had my oil pick up seal done about 3 months ago by a lad in Keighley, Yorkshire and he done it in no time at all----after hearing about all the engines being ruined by this seal I needed it to be done for piece of mind. I had a bit of a travel but having this lad do the job was worth the trip,He has people travelling from all over the UK and even abroad to see him----Top Man and he knows what he is doing---not getting the seal done especially with high miler's is just asking for trouble-----Dave

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had my oil pick up seal done about 3 months ago by a lad in Keighley, Yorkshire and he done it in no time at all----after hearing about all the engines being ruined by this seal I needed it to be done for piece of mind. I had a bit of a travel but having this lad do the job was worth the trip,He has people travelling from all over the UK and even abroad to see him----Top Man and he knows what he is doing---not getting the seal done especially with high miler's is just asking for trouble-----Dave
I would of loved to have been able to get it in a garage as soon as the 1st warning popped up, but didn't and don't have the money to just throw at the car whenever it plays up. Wish I could. Having said that the car is going into a garage on Thursday to be sorted, i used them many years ago and trust, and also discovered an option called Pay Assist, which is going to help alot. Had I have known about this pay assist before now, the car would have been in the garage and sorted well before now.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Really really don't know what to do, since topping up the oil last week there's been no sign of the low oil pressure warning. No knocking sound. Nothing!

Leads me to my question, the 1st time it popped up I checked the oil level and found it to be low, (minimum mark on the dipstick) how much oil would fill the sump to the max level, cos I only put 1ltr in, but read in my manual the sump has a 4ltr capacity. This 1ltr stopped the warning for a couple of weeks, I put another 1ltr in, and not seen the message since.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
You want to be carefull about how much oil you are putting in----with the oil filter and the sump the total oil in litres should be about 4.5.---when the oil is showing low on the dipstick you need to put about 1 litre in to bring it to the Max mark----I think that you are just hoping the low oil pressure message will go away but you might just be pushing your luck.What I would do is remove the oil and filter and start again----don't fill the engine up with the 4,5 litres--do it bit by bit and once you get some oil showing on the dipstick---say halfway--then start the engine and let it run for a few minutes---stop the engine and let the oil level settle and then check the level on the dipstick---then just top up to the Max--Don't OVERFILL----don't use cheap Dexos 2 oil and use a good named filter and then see what happens with your low oil pressure message----if its still the same then you need to get the seal done @ about £200---just had mine done------Dave

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's booked in to a garage on Thursday for the seal/pump to be replaced. I just really do not want to pay out to have it fixed if its not broke, once its with the garage it's generating a bill. Cos obviously they need to remove the sump to gain access to the seal

Will update on Thursday once its been sorted.

·
Premium Member
14,871 Posts
Really really don't know what to do, since topping up the oil last week there's been no sign of the low oil pressure warning. No knocking sound. Nothing!

Leads me to my question, the 1st time it popped up I checked the oil level and found it to be low, (minimum mark on the dipstick) how much oil would fill the sump to the max level, cos I only put 1ltr in, but read in my manual the sump has a 4ltr capacity. This 1ltr stopped the warning for a couple of weeks, I put another 1ltr in, and not seen the message since.

Your oil pressure light came up when you had the correct amount of oil in recently, so this does point to the seal. If your oil had been low, then maybe not.
You'll have to let us know what the total cost was inc the seal & pump. So annoying when you think of the cost of the seal, all the labour involved that costs the money. Usually the case when these parts fail. There's been so many failures of these seals over the years, you'd think vaux should have done a recall or fitted improved seals later on, during the production run.
I have the same engine as yours, with a lot less mileage, thinking about having mine changed when its in for a timing belt/pump in a couple of months time.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your oil pressure light came up when you had the correct amount of oil in recently, so this does point to the seal. If your oil had been low, then maybe not.
You'll have to let us know what the total cost was inc the seal & pump. So annoying when you think of the cost of the seal, all the labour involved that costs the money. Usually the case when these parts fail. There's been so many failures of these seals over the years, you'd think vaux should have done a recall or fitted improved seals later on, during the production run.
I have the same engine as yours, with a lot less mileage, thinking about having mine changed when its in for a timing belt/pump in a couple of months time.
Yeh it makes me sick knowing the seal itself is only a couple of quid. But then it's labour costs your paying for. The garage opens at 7.30am so I am planning on getting it there for then. The sooner its there the sooner they can make a start.

How long on average would a job like this take for a trained mechanic to do does anyone know?

I'll update Thursday afternoon with cost and what the actual problem is. When I spoke to him Saturday morning he said it would be between £200-400, I'm guessing it'll be closer to the £400 mark.

·
Premium Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just re read your comment @Boroboy when I put half a ltr of the 1 ltr bottle in the warning continued. Once I had put the full 1 ltr in it stopped it for a couple of Weeks. Then it came up intermittently. Sometimes it would flash up in the morning. Sometimes it wouldn't, I don't believe there is a leak. However I did notice oil on the drive yesterday, but my power stearing pipe has a small leak where it attaches to the motor. (haven't got round to fitting the washer yet) .

Does the seal sit right at the bottom of the sump, or is it a little higher up?? Meaning the oil in the sump would always need to be well above minimum. I'm guessing if the seal isn't at the lowest point there is something in there that is drawing in the oil

Sorry I know i keep asking the same question over and over, but don't want to waste the mechanics time. Nor spend money on it when I don't actually need too.

·
Worn Out Member
6,170 Posts
The seal it at the sump to cylinder block joint level,it goes between the oil pump and pump pickup

·
Premium Member
14,871 Posts
Yeh it makes me sick knowing the seal itself is only a couple of quid. But then it's labour costs your paying for. The garage opens at 7.30am so I am planning on getting it there for then. The sooner its there the sooner they can make a start.

How long on average would a job like this take for a trained mechanic to do does anyone know?

I'll update Thursday afternoon with cost and what the actual problem is. When I spoke to him Saturday morning he said it would be between £200-400, I'm guessing it'll be closer to the £400 mark.

Not a cheap job then, although potentially cheaper than a new engine though. From what you are saying it sounds like it's the seal causing the issue, rather than your oil level being low. Unfortunately sometimes with used cars we get sucked into costly repairs.
As my car at the moment is running well, don't think I'll change the oil pick up seal for now, just have the cambelt/water pump changed.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts