Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I’ve done a quick search on the site but can’t see a similar thread with the same problem I’m having;

2011 trafic 2.0 140k
For around the last 2 weeks the engine/exhaust seems louder than usual, almost like it has a blow on the exhaust
There’s not change in performance, starts, runs the same as usual and has the same power.

It’s loud on idle and under acceleration, no smoke either

I’ve had a quick look underneath (under tray needs taking off at the weekend for a proper look) but can’t see any holes/ cracks in the exhaust. I’ve put my hand over the tail pipe and doesn’t feel like anywhere leaking when it’s running. No codes either

Any ideas? Manifold / manifold gasket? Cat?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
122 Posts
Could it be a sound stopper - not stopping the sound if it's moved ? My blower assembly was not fitted properly causing strain on the bottom plastic mount. It broke off and the movement in the blower assembly thing, meant sound could get it.
Just my pennies worth - I got a new assembly and the problem went away.

May bit be the same but you can get the gist off how much the soundproofing works !

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah that’s interesting
I checked the heater resistor about 2 weeks ago but was sure this was a problem before this.
It seems to be fitted correctly as I did double check but maybe I need to take it off and check again.
Is this the sound proofing around the assembly? I know all the plastic lugs are intact and located ok but as I say I’ll have another look

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
122 Posts
The soundproofing is all around the blowerbox. Open your bonnet, check that the top tab is slid in, and (probably have to remove it) check the mounting lugs on the assembly, also check you have not trapped something between the interface of the seal where it meets the firewall.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so had some time today so had another look
Took the usual air box out and the metal frame and removed the complete blower assembly. Had a good look over it and found one area where the sound deadenring wasn’t secure and had torn round one of the small bolts that holds it to the assembly, used a plastic washer to fix this and it’s all secure

Put the lot back making sure the assembly is correctly seated against the bulkhead which it is..not mounting tabs were broke either

Started it up and it’s the same!!
I should have started it up with the blower assembly out of the van but it was starting to rain..I’ll have to take it again and try

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeh it’s in, the tab that sits into the metal holder on the front edge below the scuttle. I had a 1.9 van before this and had the blower out when I took the head off after a cambelt snap and that went back without a problem.
I’ll take it out again shortly and run the van and see what happens
Attachment is the part where the bolt had “pulled [email protected] the sound deadening so used a plastic washer

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok so took it out again but running the van with it out doesn’t help as the noise is loud as the holes in the bulk head carry the noise
This is what the bulk head looks like and what the faces of the blower assembly looks like. It looks fine to me

So I’ve put it all back together and a convinced it’s something else. Oh well I can not do this in about ten mins

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Another option - have you removed the battery lid and not sat it flush again, or power booster for brake. Only other entry I'm thinking could be steering Union. On mine the plastic collar falls down, but I'm not sure it allows sound.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A long time has passed but I still have this problem, the van drives and runs fine apart from this slightly louder than normal engine

Today I’ve removed the air box and frame, blower assembly, under tray started it up and it’s defiantly still there, I’ve checked the intercooler pipes for damage and they all look ok

It’s a really frustrating problem as it drives fine otherwise

Left it apart for a bit while I have a think and come back to it later

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fixed

Seems the lugs on the back of the air box were snapped...plastic was sort of just hanging on without any tension. Not sure if I’d done this or someone else and they were ready to snap
Glued them now and it’s solid and the vans now spot on nice and quiet

1 - 12 of 12 Posts