Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I have recently bought a 99 Vectra SRi with the 2 litre engine. It was running absolutely fine, no ominous noises, knocks, etc and has just had the cam belt done, but when I started it up today (from cold) there was a very loud ticking/tapping noise from the motor :eh. My initial worry was a cam shaft/valve problem, but when I stuck my head right under the bonnet, the sound seemed to be coming from the rear area of the engine, around what I am guessing is the inlet manifold instead of from the head itself. I was wondering if it was an injector fault or something like that. Does anyone have any ideas what it could be and if so, how easy it is to fix? It seems strange that the sound just started today as it ran fine yesterday.

I'm no mechanic but I'd like to save some money and do jobs on the car myself whenever possible. Anyway, I would be grateful for any help and advice with this.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I have a feeling it might be the exhaust manifold, maybe broken bolts at the flange just behind the engine, I've seen a post about this as it's quite hard to find.

I would think it will puff and hiss if you close the exhaust pipe end with your hand (use a rag or glove!).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts