Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first post! Hopefully you can help me!

I'm currently carrying out some work on my 2011 Insignia estate, the battery is out of the car, bonnet closed, doors locked, and something has gone wrong with the manual key mechanism so I'm locked out of the vehicle completely. The key turns fine but the latch doesn't pop up. Disaster!

If I can get the bonnet open, with the battery re-connected, the key fob should work again, but I don't know how to get the bonnet open without interior access, can something be done from underneath?
OR
I break a window, but not sure which would be the simplest to replace, one of the rear quarters maybe?

Any help much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Unsure on insignia but other cars normally have to trim a hole in the grill. If a gap it wouldn’t be secure for the insurance companies.

·
13,684 Posts
Have you got front fog lights?

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unsure on insignia but other cars normally have to trim a hole in the grill. If a gap it wouldn’t be secure for the insurance companies.
I was hoping someone may have had to act on a broken bonnet release cable on an Insignia and let me know if breaking the grill off worked.

·
Premium Member
14,447 Posts
Pop the piece out of the bumper where the passenger front fog light would be, behind here you will find a row of relays, from memory you need to remove the orange relay and then put some cable into pin 87 (i think) now use a jump pack, put the live from your jump pack to your piece of wire and the ground from the jump pack to a good earth somewhere on the cars chassis, this should power the system enough for you to open the doors using the remote on the key,.. there was a thread on here a while back but cant find it,...

·
13,684 Posts
It was in the last few weeks.
That's what prompted me to ask about the fog lights.

@andy_v might be able to track it down.

But from memory it essentially gave the same advice as above.

Reactions: renks26 and Boroboy

·
Worn Out Member
6,430 Posts

·
Worn Out Member
6,430 Posts
There was Andy,this one 🤓;)

·
Worn Out Member
6,430 Posts
Nah It was easy Andy,i knew i'd posted on it so easy to find ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unfortunately the relay trick didn't work, I suspect with no battery present in the car there was an open circuit.

Instead I spent hours trying to reach the battery terminals from under the car (bear in mind there was no battery in the car so they were flexible), I got there in the end! Just need to grow the skin back on my arms now.

8B4A235E-E09F-4CC8-9B40-E7825F68A8AF.jpg

·
Worn Out Member
6,430 Posts
well done,great perseverance 👍

·
Super Moderator
26,850 Posts
Unfortunately the relay trick didn't work, I suspect with no battery present in the car there was an open circuit.

Instead I spent hours trying to reach the battery terminals from under the car (bear in mind there was no battery in the car so they were flexible), I got there in the end! Just need to grow the skin back on my arms now.

View attachment 93558
Next time make sure you don’t shut the bonnet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts