Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
Well here comes the carrot part of getting drivers into the new tech & out of the old tech propulsion.
Tax changes will hopefully encourage more drivers to take on having a company car that will be electric instead of the old combustion engined company car.
The first phase of encouragement is under way with more to come no doubt before the stick has to be brought out.

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Well here comes the carrot part of getting drivers into the new tech & out of the old tech propulsion.
Tax changes will hopefully encourage more drivers to take on having a company car that will be electric instead of the old combustion engined company car.
The first phase of encouragement is under way with more to come no doubt before the stick has to be brought out.
Just like with diesels back in the Blair days. . .

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
Coventry announce more electric charging points , this time 69 bollards containing charger kit fitted into lampposts.
The company that make the kits for posts say their now starting to fit more of these up & down the country as we get ready for the electric revolution.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Do you guys remember when the Toyota Prius was praised and got free congestion zone entry. Did you see how quickly it was changed and now Pius owners have to pay as much as I do with my dirty diesel.

I dont trust these guys . . .

·
Rascal
12,156 Posts
How quickly was that then? Prius was introduced in 1998, 4 years before the Congestion Charging zone in London. And now, nearly 20 years later, the standards are changing. I don't think that is THAT soon, is it? Standards change over time and things get cleaner. There are many petrol cars on the market now that are cleaner than the 22 year old Prius, so it is right that the Prius driver no longer qualifies? Like a lot of things, exemptions and similar are never guaranteed to last forever. Or we could go back to the time when 5 minutes walking around London left you with black snot every time you picked your nose

·
Premium Member
14,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I doubt electric cars will be the end of it either, no doubt new tec will come out eventually to replace electric.
Then no doubt we'll be taxed whilst we charge, to replace to current car tax system.

·
Likes this.
11,105 Posts
I doubt electric cars will be the end of it either, no doubt new tec will come out eventually to replace electric.
Then no doubt we'll be taxed whilst we charge, to replace to current car tax system.
Once the majority of people have a plug-in car, the VAT rate on electricity will rise from 5% to 20%. You can see that coming a mile off......

Or they may even introduce a VAT rate specifically for EV owners, so as soon as you become the registered keeper of an EV, they bump up your VAT for electricity supply.

·
Premium Member
14,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Once the majority of people have a plug-in car, the VAT rate on electricity will rise from 5% to 20%. You can see that coming a mile off......

Or they may even introduce a VAT rate specifically for EV owners, so as soon as you become the registered keeper of an EV, they bump up your VAT for electricity supply.
Neither is it cheap to use those rapid chargers at motorway service stations at the moment or so an I-pace elec car driver was telling me recently.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
How quickly was that then? Prius was introduced in 1998, 4 years before the Congestion Charging zone in London. And now, nearly 20 years later, the standards are changing. I don't think that is THAT soon, is it? Standards change over time and things get cleaner. There are many petrol cars on the market now that are cleaner than the 22 year old Prius, so it is right that the Prius driver no longer qualifies? Like a lot of things, exemptions and similar are never guaranteed to last forever. Or we could go back to the time when 5 minutes walking around London left you with black snot every time you picked your nose
Its not a zero sum game, we have to remember where does that electricity come from? Thats right, fossil fuels. We have had it good for too long to remember how it was like with power failures.

Fossil fuels have been vital for life expectancy and modern advancement, just take a look at how many items in everyday life is made from or with fossil fuels, I dont think we apreciate what moving away from fossil fuel means in practice.

Smog and polution is to do with environmental conservation, and there is no one agaist that arguement, what this is, is a so called attempt to control the climate with us paying more tax. Nevermind the contribution the sun makes or natural cycles in nature and climate.

I am not buying the proposed solution.

the congestion zone was introduced in 2003 and the excuse was first traffic then later air quality and now in 2020 the current mayor proved its just another money raising scam, as he moaned about not having enough money and then raised the fees.

If you are really concurned about the climate or air polution why would you be pro a system that takes all the money raised in its name and spends it on other things? It all goes into one big pot. . .

Thanks to new technology you can not kill yourself in a garage by leaving the car running like you used to. Modern diesels are a lot cleaner than older ones, I think electric cars are not viable and lastly remember bateries are not made in an environmentally friendly way. . .

·
Premium Member
935 Posts

Hear hear.

You would have thought a country with so many rivers would be building more hydro power stations . . .

·
Likes this.
11,105 Posts
I think electric cars are not viable and lastly remember bateries are not made in an environmentally friendly way. . .
Been saying this for years. When you take into account the building and disposal environmental impact as well as when it's in use, running an old diesel or petrol Land Rover for 40 or more years actually pollutes the environment less than producing an EV or hybrid and running it for ten or so years, which is probably not far off the life expectancy of an EV battery pack (especially the time it will stay in optimum condition at least and give the most mileage etc).

But keeping old cars on the road, despite being actually BETTER for the world as a whole, doesn't make the densely populated cities cleaner and also probably more importantly to the elite, doesn't make anyone any money.....

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
Its not a zero sum game, we have to remember where does that electricity come from? Thats right, fossil fuels. We have had it good for too long to remember how it was like with power failures.

Fossil fuels have been vital for life expectancy and modern advancement, just take a look at how many items in everyday life is made from or with fossil fuels, I dont think we apreciate what moving away from fossil fuel means in practice.

Smog and polution is to do with environmental conservation, and there is no one agaist that arguement, what this is, is a so called attempt to control the climate with us paying more tax. Nevermind the contribution the sun makes or natural cycles in nature and climate.

I am not buying the proposed solution.

the congestion zone was introduced in 2003 and the excuse was first traffic then later air quality and now in 2020 the current mayor proved its just another money raising scam, as he moaned about not having enough money and then raised the fees.

If you are really concurned about the climate or air polution why would you be pro a system that takes all the money raised in its name and spends it on other things? It all goes into one big pot. . .

Thanks to new technology you can not kill yourself in a garage by leaving the car running like you used to. Modern diesels are a lot cleaner than older ones, I think electric cars are not viable and lastly remember bateries are not made in an environmentally friendly way. . .
Have you not been watching ?
It's all about the amount of vehicles entering a city , London for one can't take many more vehicles , give it a few more & we'd be looking at cars being allowed on certain days only , luckily Covid-19 came along & solved the looming issue.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Have you not been watching ?
It's all about the amount of vehicles entering a city , London for one can't take many more vehicles , give it a few more & we'd be looking at cars being allowed on certain days only , luckily Covid-19 came along & solved the looming issue.
This is the wrong way to solve the problem. Problem 1, too many cars driving to london, applied solution, lets open more bus lanes and cycle lanes and make it even harder for those who commute by car and then charge them even more.

The population will go up so you can not get rid of cars unless you tell a whole generation that we have enjoyed cars but you cant. The transport network has not been looked at properly, we are just pretending we can force people not to commute by car.

The public transport system is such a joke that most will not use it if they can avoid it. Last time I used it a bunch of teenagers came up to me and asked me if I was selling drugs. . .

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
This is the wrong way to solve the problem. Problem 1, too many cars driving to london, applied solution, lets open more bus lanes and cycle lanes and make it even harder for those who commute by car and then charge them even more.

The population will go up so you can not get rid of cars unless you tell a whole generation that we have enjoyed cars but you cant. The transport network has not been looked at properly, we are just pretending we can force people not to commute by car.

The public transport system is such a joke that most will not use it if they can avoid it. Last time I used it a bunch of teenagers came up to me and asked me if I was selling drugs. . .
If you drive in a big clogged up city then car driving is not pleasant experience or even enjoyable.
We have to accept that the motor car has become a problem in big cities now for sometime.
By the end of this decade London will have increased in population , imagine the city of Birmingham being dropped into London.
Scary isn’t ? But that’s the reality & all those extra cars going into a city that can’t already cope , something as to give & will as rules will come in for certain cars on certain days & other cars on other days , most likely to be quite simply even reg plate numbers & odd reg plate numbers won’t go in together any more going forwards.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
If you drive in a big clogged up city then car driving is not pleasant experience or even enjoyable.
We have to accept that the motor car has become a problem in big cities now for sometime.
By the end of this decade London will have increased in population , imagine the city of Birmingham being dropped into London.
Scary isn’t ? But that’s the reality & all those extra cars going into a city that can’t already cope , something as to give & will as rules will come in for certain cars on certain days & other cars on other days , most likely to be quite simply even reg plate numbers & odd reg plate numbers won’t go in together any more going forwards.
The problem with that is a bit like my industry, the construction industry. We have to get to site no matter where the site is. Sometimes we have a lot of equipment so public transport is out of the question or the site is in the middle of no where.

Why not look at traffic flow and improve infrustructure. . . build more roads instead of shoving more people onto existing victorian era infrustructure.

·
Super Moderator
26,656 Posts
The problem with that is a bit like my industry, the construction industry. We have to get to site no matter where the site is. Sometimes we have a lot of equipment so public transport is out of the question or the site is in the middle of no where.

Why not look at traffic flow and improve infrustructure. . . build more roads instead of shoving more people onto existing victorian era infrustructure.
Building more roads is no longer possible in big cities , no more room left , we’ve reached the limits of what we can do , hence the expansion of the outer areas of many cities.
Your ok if the existing infrastructure can cope , like when older modern buildings become empty.
I’ve seen some wonderful use of old buildings in city centres where the infrastructure can cope with the new use of an empty building.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts