Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

81 - 100 of 174 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,639 Posts
EV sales are on the up but they are coming from a low base.
Diesel car sales have dropped but petrol sales haven’t picked up the slack. New car sales are down which is bad news for the used car market.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
If the technology works as it is indended to, then a driverless car having a sudden motor failure won't be an issue for any of the other driverless cars - it will only be a problem for the inattentive cars still be driven by humans.

We're still a long way from that scenario though.
Yeah it's the conflict between a driverless car and a humen one i was on about. Some things should just be left to the humans

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
For those who thought electric cars will be cheaper to top up than petrol or diesel powered cars.

I have thought for years where exactly is the fuel duty and vat going if we switch to electric cars, well no need to wonder anymore.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Another glimpse into back to the future when we all go electric.

·
Likes this.
11,099 Posts
I don't disagree that we need to do something to help the environment, I'm certainly not a climate change denier.

But I am under NO ILLUSION that someone (multiple someones really), somewhere, will be getting an awful lot richer because of it.

Things have to cost more so that the rich can get richer. That's how it works now, especially with the Government we have. None of the elite give a sh*t about the likes of you and me, regardless of what they'll tell you.

All they care about is making more money from us under whatever guise they can get away with......

I mean, if they REALLY cared, they'd make electric vehicles cheap enough so we could all afford to buy them, cheaper than petrol or diesel cars to run so that we'd have more money to spend on other things, helping the economy to grow and making everyone feel better.

But they don't, so they won't.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Its ok Citroën have the answer ?100% electric car that you don't need a licence to drive ?? sorry its a quad

·
Super Moderator
26,639 Posts
I don't disagree that we need to do something to help the environment, I'm certainly not a climate change denier.

But I am under NO ILLUSION that someone (multiple someones really), somewhere, will be getting an awful lot richer because of it.

Things have to cost more so that the rich can get richer. That's how it works now, especially with the Government we have. None of the elite give a sh*t about the likes of you and me, regardless of what they'll tell you.

All they care about is making more money from us under whatever guise they can get away with......

I mean, if they REALLY cared, they'd make electric vehicles cheap enough so we could all afford to buy them, cheaper than petrol or diesel cars to run so that we'd have more money to spend on other things, helping the economy to grow and making everyone feel better.

You know how it goes , to clarify it goes like this.
The rich pay less for their electricity & the poorer pay more for their electricity.
That’s the perks of being rich.
Those that have the least have to pay the most.

Reactions: Boroboy

·
Premium Member
934 Posts

I dont even mind being called a denier, I still have not seen any evidence that if we in the west and only the west pay more tax then man will suddenly be able to control the climate. One can be concerned about the environment without blindly accepting their solution.

·
Super Moderator
26,639 Posts
I dont even mind being called a denier, I still have not seen any evidence that if we in the west and only the west pay more tax then man will suddenly be able to control the climate. One can be concerned about the environment without blindly accepting their solution.
Well the big news regarding the Earth is the question that’s baffled many a finest brain for centuries ............................................................................................... Is the earth really round ?
Well sadly the man who was looking into this question can longer help with trying to solve this most baffling of questions , Mad Mike Hughes & his atmosphere breaking steam powered rocket has failed in their attempt to prove the Earth was flat.
A big crash ended in tragedy during his latest attempt.
So we know the Earth we live on is going through a climate change & for future generations who may live on this planet called Earth we need to act right now although i fear we may be already too late.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Its ok Citroën have the answer ?100% electric car that you don't need a licence to drive ?? sorry its a quad
This is actually a good idea ? saves global warming and stops the increase of driving without a licence crime ?

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Well the big news regarding the Earth is the question that’s baffled many a finest brain for centuries ............................................................................................... Is the earth really round ?
Well sadly the man who was looking into this question can longer help with trying to solve this most baffling of questions , Mad Mike Hughes & his atmosphere breaking steam powered rocket has failed in their attempt to prove the Earth was flat.
A big crash ended in tragedy during his latest attempt.
So we know the Earth we live on is going through a climate change & for future generations who may live on this planet called Earth we need to act right now although i fear we may be already too late.
I agree we should act now but I dont think killing our economy is the right way to fix it.

Lets be honest now, if we went zero carbon as they propose that would mean no reliable energy, plastic, many instruments used by surgeons and other professionals, and all while china and the east carry on regardless.

May I suggest something simple instead, how about we start planting more trees?

·
Premium Member
14,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I agree we should act now but I dont think killing our economy is the right way to fix it.

Lets be honest now, if we went zero carbon as they propose that would mean no reliable energy, plastic, many instruments used by surgeons and other professionals, and all while china and the east carry on regardless.

Not forgetting 4 out of 5 people in London park their cars on the street. Where will they charge them when they're at home? :ROFLMAO:
Surely investing more in public transport must be the way forward.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a petrol engine and along with the 12 volt battery does me fine. When the fuel is low I pull into the petrol station and generally I could be there for around five to ten minutes then I’ll be on my merry way again. I have better things to do than sit around a service station for a couple of hours. Apparently they put a man on the moon, so surely the boffins could find something else to power the car.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
The last thing we ne
I have a petrol engine and along with the 12 volt battery does me fine. When the fuel is low I pull into the petrol station and generally I could be there for around five to ten minutes then I’ll be on my merry way again. I have better things to do than sit around a service station for a couple of hours. Apparently they put a man on the moon, so surely the boffins could find something else to power the car.
They have, unfortunately the OAG industry bought all the ideas and knocked off all the folk that invented them?

·
Super Moderator
26,639 Posts

Corona virus is doing that for us , anyway the economy is now affected by what happens elsewhere in the world these days.
We may be leaving Europe but we will be trading with the rest of the world with more gusto than ever.
Sometimes you’ve got to make the big call & in this case the economy versus the Earth being viable to humans to live on for many years to come.
I get fed up with people saying , “ it won’t bother me I’ll be dead by then “ , well your children won’t be dead there’ll be living with the consequences of our inactions.

·
Rascal
12,154 Posts
Think of what you could do with all the extra time you have if you don’t have to ever visit a service station every week and can just charge your car up at home overnight when you’re asleep. Unless you make regular 300 mile+ journeys how frequently would you need to visit a service station?

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Sometimes you’ve got to make the big call & in this case the economy versus the Earth being viable to humans to live on for many years to come.
I get fed up with people saying , “ it won’t bother me I’ll be dead by then “ , well your children won’t be dead there’ll be living with the consequences of our inactions.
Unfortunately there is something that gets overlooked when discussing climate change costs. Right now, as in 2020 if we tell poor countries to go off fossil fuels or go green they will simply go without as they cant afford the alternatives. They will be forced to go back to burning wood and produce even more pollution. Another thing to take into account is we in the UK can hardly afford it. Every winter we hear cases of old people dying in cold homes because of high energy prices. This is thanks to the decision to mitigate against climate change (which in itself I am unconvinced we can do, even if the problem was as bad as the alarmists say).

In summary we have to be careful with the resources we have now, if we destroy the wests economy (not like the virus I mean what the our green friends have suggested, complete halt of all cars, plastics and other fossil fuel dependent products) China will become the next supper power and I can tell you for free they will not care about pollution as we do. So then the question becomes would it be worth destroying your own livelihood to solve a problem instead of looking to address the same problem in a different way?

The west did not become rich by accident, we burned a lot of fossil fuel to get where we are today and to tell poor countries in the world no you cant do that is a bit naughty to say it politely.

Lastly lets look at the problem, I still am not convinced with the proposed solution, I am beginning to think adaptation is the best way forward. There was a time people said there would not be enough food on the planet to feed 5 billion people, they have been proved wrong. I have faith in mankinds ability to solve problems without the solution being jumping off a bridge.

Lets look at these absolute gems of predictions that should have happened by 2020:

* Paul Ehrlich warned in the May 1970 issue of Audubon that DDT and other chlorinated hydrocarbons “may have substantially reduced the life expectancy of people born since 1945.” Ehrlich warned that Americans born since 1946…now had a life expectancy of only 49 years, and he predicted that if current patterns continued this expectancy would reach 42 years by 1980, when it might level out. (Note: According to the most recent CDC report, life expectancy in the US is 78.8 years).

* Ecologist Kenneth Watt declared, “By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate…that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, `Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, `I am very sorry, there isn’t any.'”

* Kenneth Watt warned about a pending Ice Age in a speech. “The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years,” he declared. “If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.”

Lets take emotion out of it and discuss rationally how we can best protect the environment without sending ourselves back to the stone age. Burning down your own house to prevent it from catching fires is one way of protecting it but I would not say the wisest.

·
Super Moderator
26,639 Posts
Just a few points to take into account.
1/ life expectancy is now beginning to fall in this country.
2 / just because we burnt coal & oil to get rich doesn’t make it right for others to do the same.
3/ If we keep looking for an excuse then we’ll never alter our living patterns & descend into a much less nicer world for all humans.
You’ve only got to see the amount of people wearing smog face masks to know things should & can better , cleaner fresher air for all.

81 - 100 of 174 Posts