Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone, last week i stopped the car and noticed a smell of burning oil with blowers on and popped the bonnet to find smoke all around the engine so i looked at the cam cover area, no leak. then i looked all around from top to bottom and no leak until i looked at the sump, oil on the sump traced up to timing cover, took car in for overdue timing belt kit and they replaced cam and crank seals and water pump at same time, they said that there is a heat shield directly under the sump on exhaust that was saturated in oil, the shield is like a mesh. having not driven very far since then is it still likely that oil is still there, stinking the car out at the lights, not so much smoke though. do you think my sump needs attention? thanks and sorry for the length of thread.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i know someone knows something about this, the car is a 2001 1.6 i 8v, no leak from top, dry all over, oil still at full mark on dip stick since an oil change last month. still getting a smell through vents although not as strong as before cam/crank seal replacement, i have noticed that the sump plug is dripping as i failed to put a copper washer on it but its tight on. could it be this that i can smell when engine is warm. as always i thank you in advance and hope for good news.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice one alan at least you care lol. yeh i thought that would be the way to go i just needed pushing over the edge so to speak, ive read in places that the plug can be put in without said washer and it shouldnt leak but mine seems to, also do you think that oil will still be coming out of sub frame from when the cam/crank seals went. i saw drips there too you see which is why i posted the thread.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok slight revival of thread but my honest mech rang me having took my motor in for suspected sump pan failure and said they cleaned up the bottom of engine and found, having run it for a while, there was no leak. strangeley welcome news . my new question is this, if the top of engine is dry as for the rest of the engine including rear main seal and sump pan, what else behind the timing belt cover other than the newely replaced cam/crank seal and water pump could of leaked or maybe still weeping as i am still keeping an eye on it. thanks as always in advance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.