Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Has anyone done an Astra LCD conversion into a Cav but keeping the check control lights from the Cav mated to the LCD bits from the Astra. AND just to be clear - I mean not the straight-forward swap of the whole LCD dash into a Cav.

I have seen a German company often put the converted dash on Ebay but for a hefty price of £130+.

I have all the parts but am not too good with the wiring side so am asking if anyone has:

- done this
- attempted to do this
- know anyone that has done this
- etc etc.

I'm surprised with the amount of knowledge in this forum, as far as I can see, no-one has attempted it.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but only the bottom link works. Even that one is to wire the LCD straight but not to join the 2 (Astra + Cav3) dashes together. I'll try and upload a pic of the final thing later so you can see what I mean.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,328 Posts
I did it a few years ago. took me about 5 hours in total, but that also included extending the wires on the dash before installing it and double checking every connection before connecting the battery.

as Spooklee said, look here at ther pin outs of both the cav loom http://www.akirwan.freeserve.co.uk/akhow2/lcd_gsi.txt and the digi dash pin out here http://www.akirwan.freeserve.co.uk/akhow2/astradig.rtf that way you can work out which wire on the dash to connect to the cav loom.

You have the transponder I hope

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I have the all important transponder for the gearbox. I will have a go but may need to come back for advice. Is there any where else on the forum for any other instructions??

Thanks again!

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
what do you need to do to fit it to a cavvy turbo is there any wiring to be done to make it fit or will it be plug and play as the seller said i will need the below connectors to make it work but im sure the cav t already as them but not sure can anyone says if i need the below or not cheers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi - you will need the connectors you've shown because they are the only ones that will fit the astra LCD dash and normally come with a dash with a length of wires so you can solder/crimp into the next car. You will also need a transducer which screws into the gearbox in place of a speedo cable which also has three wires.

The German guys have chopped both the astra LCd dash and a Cav3 dash to make one and keep the CHECK CONTROL lights which isn't part of the original astra dash. The astra has a separate box display for that but it's a lot easier to have the whole display as part of your dash rather than having it as two separate pieces which the astra does originally.

Hope that helps??

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The image you posted is from that site and yes, they do both dashes converted into 1. I think it takes the best of both.

There is a genuine Cav3 digital dash (only available in Germany/Europe) but it doesn't look as good as the astra one.

If you send me your email I will send you an image of both.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not 100% sure but I think it will work. Because the transducer sends electronic signals back to the dash, the speedo cable definitely wouldn't work (has no wires/connectors).

I'm sure there will be other turbo owners out there that will have tried an LCD conversion who would know.

I'm going to try and make a start on mine this weekend which I'd been planning for looooong time now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can get it to pick up the readings from the ABS system. If you go on MIG there's a user on there that sell's the signal converters. I think his user name is Dom Also pretty sure Mark T on has a how to on how to get it to work from the ABS system

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey,

I've had Astra Gte digie dash in my cav for some time now, but when fitted, the trip computer didn't work properly and the dimer switch to brighten clocks up or down

Theres x2 type of GTE digie clocks, ones with tick, and ones wiht half moon shape

Going by the a road angel my clocks are out 3 mph, this could be with 17" alloys

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
Hey,

Going by the a road angel my clocks are out 3 mph, this could be with 17" alloys
but is that using a electronic gearbox or a gearbox with the transducer in. :think

1 - 20 of 24 Posts